What can I Swap out potatoes with?

Options
What’s good to swap out potatoes with? Usually a meal would consist of a meat, a couple veggies and potatoes (fries, potatoes lattices, potato waffles) I know sweet potatoes are better but I’m not sure what else I can swap out. Thank you!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've discovered the wonder of butternut squash. My local supermarket sells spiralized vegetable noodles. I don't own a spiralizer and, from what I've been reading, squash is more of a hassle to do than, say, zucchini (it seems that I'd need to slice the top part off and spiralize that, leaving the flesh around the seed cavity for some other use). Roasted with seasonings of choice or used in a stir-fry, it's amazing. You can also buy it frozen, but thaw and drain completely, or it'll turn mushy when cooked.

• aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mash is a nice low calorie option. You can add butter and seasonings to make it more tasty. But regular potatoes or mash would likely be a better option than the fried potato-based products you list anyway.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Might portion size help, decreasing the potatoes and increasing the other vegies you have at a sitting. Ok, so potatoes are a starchy vegetable, this does not mean they have to be avoided for the sake of it, unless someone has a reason from health causes, allergy, intolerance or even revulsion there should be no reason to demonise foods. Unless one "has" to, its best to work with the meals you and your family enjoy, why complicate things unnecessarily?
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    We've experimented a bit with turnips and rutabagas. They have a similar texture to a potato and have been enjoyable roasted with salt and pepper and olive oil as well as diced as hash browns.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Most have said what I do. I love rutagabas now. Fantastic with some Yukon Golds, cooked in a little broth and just a bit of butter or margarine and some chives/whole grain mustard (just a bit). Just cut down on the cream, butter. I like root mashes - rutabagas, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips (the last two way underutilized in my fat life).
    Think about an air fryer for your fries. It's like a portable countertop convection device that you don't need much oil to make fries.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The sides you mentioned get their calories from the fat the foods are fried in. Maybe invest in an actifry, which uses a tablespoon of oil instead of a vat for frying. That way you get the crispy texture without the extra calories.

Another option is oven roasting with a tablespoon of oil and spices.

I won't repeat the substitutes mentioned above. They are all good with slightly varying tastes and textures.

The optional sides I offer my husband include rice (brown Basmati right now), pasta, vermicelli, and chinese egg noodles.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What’s good to swap out potatoes with? Usually a meal would consist of a meat, a couple veggies and potatoes (fries, potatoes lattices, potato waffles) I know sweet potatoes are better but I’m not sure what else I can swap out. Thank you!

Depends on why you want to switch. Do you want a lower calorie food for more volume? Do you want specific nutrients? Do you feel bored with potatoes?

You could just increase the other vegetables you are eating or have a big salad. You could eat a pile of cabbage or cucumber for the same calories as a potato. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1

You could try something like quinoa, lentils or beans as a side dish instead of potatoes.
    https://kalynskitchen.com/category/recipes/side-dishes/
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/side-dishes/

A sweet potato and a white potato both have nutrients and calories. They are not better or worse necessarily.
    It has been popular with low carbers for years to substitute cauliflower for potato or rice. I think mashed cauliflower can be tasty.

You could just change cooking method. Roasted potato slices, baked potato, boiled potato might have less fat added than your fries. Use herbs and spices, vinegars, citrus juice, onion, garlic to add low calorie flavor.

Change portion sizes. Logging will tell you the amount that will fit your goal.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    swap them out with less potatoes lol. Or you can prepare them in a non-fried way, like a baked potato for example. We eat a LOT of potatoes in my family.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The only big advantage sweet potatoes have over russet is vitamin A. Russet potatoes are nutritious too! Poor little guys are just trying to overcome their bad reputation in the time of carb-hate. I'm with others - sub out your processed fried potato side dishes with baked or roasted potatoes and enjoy!

This was what I was going to say. I chop up russet potatoes into good sized chunks, throw them in a gallon Ziploc with olive oil and whatever spices sound good, and them roast them. So yummy!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

Why not have the potatoes and measure the correct amount out? I like a baked sweet potato or roasted red potatoes once in a while. Just won't eat mashed potatoes or I'll go seriously overboard. They are my weakness. If you still want something else maybe try some brown rice or cooked radishes are really good. Once cooked they lose the hot bitter taste and are very mild mixed with other veggies.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you like, and why you would want to change it. But I'm wondering if you have a reasonable idea of "potatoes" - plain potatoes is not the same as "potato products".

This. Potatoes have reasonable calories when they are not cut into small bits and deep-fried.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    There was at least one study that had boiled potatoes as the # 1 most satiating food. I eat potatoes all the time. But I start with whole raw potatoes and make them mashed, baked, or roasted.

If you want to swap out potatoes because yours are high calorie, try using raw potatoes and go easy on the fat. For example, I have cottage cheese and just a little butter on my baked potatoes.

You can also reduce calories by reducing portion sizes. I only eat 4-5 oz of potato per meal. If there are smaller amounts leftover, I have them with eggs the next day.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I eat a medium baked potato with some meals, maybe with some sour cream. I also eat other grains and starches like rice, bulger, farro, quinoa (technically a seed), pasta, squash or maybe just a slice of whole grain bread.