Anyone else tried/trying 'Carnivore Diet'?

Options
🎶Bacon, eggs, chicken, deer, sausage & beef- these are a few of my favorite things! 🍗🥩🥓🍳 Sorry for the corny jingle, I couldn't help myself! 😋 So I've been on this carnivore 'all protein/meat' diet for about a week and I've had great results so far! Feel like I'm leaning out, losing more excess fat than muscles. 💪 Is anyone else trying this, and if so how is it going for you? Maybe we could exchange recipes? Also this app tells me I go over their recommended fat every day! Lol ...which I'm surprised by their pie chart ratio recommending 50% carbs, 20% protein, & 30% fat... But I guess thats normal in the American diet. 🤷 And I'm not a premium member so I don't know if those could be adjusted...

Replies

• sophleo7
    sophleo7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm mostly carnivore but not quite all the way there. I still have stevia in my coffee (and coffee!) plus other incidentals here and there like flax in my protein powder or jalapeños in my smokies. I'm not that high protein though as I tend towards fattier meats. Maybe 100g a day in protein. Maybe 25%?

There is a small group of mostly carnivores and true carnivores in the lower carb groups. They're just not vocal about it. It's still considered to be an odd way to eat. ;) But it really is growing in popularity.

I have no special recipes. Meat is meat for me, and I'm trying to really limit plants to almost nothing as a health experiment so that leaves few options besides topping meats with eggs, cheese, or other meats. LOL It's pretty dull IMO, but I'm trying to make food more functional rather than entertainment. I do find it makes weight loss really easy. I've been losing about a pound a week without trying or logging. That aspect is rather freeing.

If you do want to log, you can actually set your carbs to zero. I did. It's kind of funny to see.

Ok awesome! 😁 Yeah I'm not 💯 there too because I do have coffee in the morning with stevia. That's a hard habit to break! 😆 And I tend to have all kinds of meats, fatty and lean, but I also have them with cheese occasionally...
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Please be careful, a 'carnivore' diet can be extremely dangerous. Doctors won't be on your side with this for a number of reasons. The increased cholesterol from the meat, which clogs arteries. Your vitamins/minerals won't be met, and you will need supplements. You will also need to be sure to take fiber supplements, so you can use the bathroom as needed. The one "doctor" that actually promoted this diet lost his license. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just risky, and would hate for something bad to happen to anyone.

There is so much wrong with this post.

First, my doctor 100% supports my decision to do a Carnivore Diet. He understands the need for a strict elimination diet when people are dealing with multiple food intolerances. It’s also an inflammatory diet and since I’ve been diagnosed with inflammation of unknown cause, it’s a diet that makes sense for me.

Second, dietary cholesterol does not clog arteries. Ancel Keys releases his Seven Countries Study which HYPOTHESIZED that dietary cholesterol increases blood cholesterol. That hypothesis was never proved, in fact, it has been debunked many times over.

Third, animal products contain all of the vitamins and minerals that you need and are often more bioavailable than those in plants. Many plants also contain anti-nutrients which animal products do not. Thanks to our depleted soils our fruits and vegetables are no longer the national powerhouse they used to be.

Fourth, you do not need to take a fiber supplement. You only need fiber to help move carbohydrates through the system. If you aren’t eating carbs, you don’t need fiber.

Fifth, it is not risky as you say. Inuit peoples have sustained on a Carnivore and/or near Carnivore Diet for over 100,000 years and seem to be doing just fine.

Why not just keep notes of what you eat that causes you problems? Then, you can just eliminate those foods. Takes a little work, but might make life a little easier. Can you stay on this diet forever? I mean, do some soul searching. If yes, stick with it, if not.... think of a plan b... btw, the sad does not really exist. It can vary from region to region. Btw2... the Inuit people have not been in the North American continent for 100,000 years. They have been here long enough to adapt... I say adapt to a certain diet, but the same can be said for South American natives of the rainforest. Protein is scarce, so if fat. High in carbs though. Probably 70% if my memory serves me correctly. Why not adapt a higher carb diet?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Please be careful, a 'carnivore' diet can be extremely dangerous. Doctors won't be on your side with this for a number of reasons. The increased cholesterol from the meat, which clogs arteries. Your vitamins/minerals won't be met, and you will need supplements. You will also need to be sure to take fiber supplements, so you can use the bathroom as needed. The one "doctor" that actually promoted this diet lost his license. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just risky, and would hate for something bad to happen to anyone.

There is so much wrong with this post.

First, my doctor 100% supports my decision to do a Carnivore Diet. He understands the need for a strict elimination diet when people are dealing with multiple food intolerances. It’s also an inflammatory diet and since I’ve been diagnosed with inflammation of unknown cause, it’s a diet that makes sense for me.

Second, dietary cholesterol does not clog arteries. Ancel Keys releases his Seven Countries Study which HYPOTHESIZED that dietary cholesterol increases blood cholesterol. That hypothesis was never proved, in fact, it has been debunked many times over.

Third, animal products contain all of the vitamins and minerals that you need and are often more bioavailable than those in plants. Many plants also contain anti-nutrients which animal products do not. Thanks to our depleted soils our fruits and vegetables are no longer the national powerhouse they used to be.

Fourth, you do not need to take a fiber supplement. You only need fiber to help move carbohydrates through the system. If you aren’t eating carbs, you don’t need fiber.

Fifth, it is not risky as you say. Inuit peoples have sustained on a Carnivore and/or near Carnivore Diet for over 100,000 years and seem to be doing just fine.

Why not just keep notes of what you eat that causes you problems?
    Then, you can just eliminate those foods. Takes a little work, but might make life a little easier. Can you stay on this diet forever? I mean, do some soul searching. If yes, stick with it, if not.... think of a plan b... btw, the sad does not really exist. It can vary from region to region. Btw2... the Inuit people have not been in the North American continent for 100,000 years. They have been here long enough to adapt... I say adapt to a certain diet, but the same can be said for South American natives of the rainforest. Protein is scarce, so if fat. High in carbs though. Probably 70% if my memory serves me correctly. Why not adapt a higher carb diet?

That can be tricky when it comes to food intolerances. Symptoms can arrive within minutes of eating foods but it can also be as delayed as 72 hours or so. Plus symptoms can last hours to dweebs which can make it harder to figure out.

I have arthritis which is bothered by certain foods. The symptoms can show up the next day but it can creep up on me too and becomes apparent after a few exposures which makes pinpointing the food harder. Symptoms do not resolve until days or weeks later. Sometimes eliminating a LOT of foods makes it easier to identify a problem food when you add it back in.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

If our soils are depleted to the point where the nutrient level in produce is affected, wouldn't that also mean grazing animals aren't getting in those nutrients? And therefore, our meat products are lower in nutrients?

I think grazing land is left in a more normal balance than farmed land but that is more of a guess than knowledge.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

I think grazing land is left in a more normal balance than farmed land but that is more of a guess than knowledge.

It makes sense on the surface. So then if that's the case, only farming practices that deplete the soil would change nutrient levels. I know next to nothing about farming and wonder what would cause that. Certain pesticides? Not switching out crops properly? I should really learn more about something so basic to living.