Weight loss for people 5’3 and under

Options

Replies

• cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    cnjg6677 wrote: »
    cnjg6677 wrote: »
    I completely sympathize I’m 4”11 and 1 pound gain is very noticeable but I’ve lost 40 pounds and have been maintaining for a year now you can do it it’s hard but very possible
    Yes it’s not fair haha! If you don’t mind me asking but how many calories do you try to eat during a day?

Mfp gives me 1200 calories a day
    1200 is what mfp gave me as well. I do great through out the day and workout out 5 days a week but after dinner things start to go downhill and I binge. Idk how to control it ☹️ but it messes up my progress and I keep fluctuating between a couple ounces that keep me from losing another lb .

You could b telling my story lol except I work out 3 days a week but I just try to leave enough calories for snacking at night 😀
  • CharleyRose1236
    CharleyRose1236 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Heyy 4'11 and your right you notice every little pound when your short. I've just gotten over a back injury and put 7lbs that I had recently lost. To me it looks like I've put on even more.

The best thing I found was to drink lots of water and everything in moderation. I did this last week and lost 4lbs without really dieting and exercising.
  • Angielosingitagain
    Angielosingitagain Posts: 11 Member
    Options

That is amazing you have lost 80 lbs! That is such an accomplishment!! Thank you for sharing that with me! It definitely discourages me seeing taller people who weigh the same as me who are so skinny! Idk if you know this but is it better to eat high protein and low carb? Cause that’s what I have been doing but I don’t wanna over do it with protein and gain weight

This is my experience, but I feel full faster and longer if I do a low carb and high protein diet. If you are working out, you should be fine without over doing it. If you think about our organs are muscles and we also have the muscles we know about. So we need a sustainable amount of protein whether you are working out or not. Unless it is insane amount, I wouldn't worry too much. If you have some source of protein each meal or snack you should be fine. (:
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also 5’3’’ and lost about 29 pounds in all (20 pounds came off once I really dedicated myself -took one year). Eat less and move more worked for me! I used MFP to track food and got a general sense of my calorie intake, but didn’t weigh or measure. The biggest thing that helped is eliminating my daily beer/wine and swapping high calorie carbs for low cal options like zoodles for noodles, light English muffins for bagels, low carb wraps for bread. Also cutting out most snacking helped. I also ran 3-4 miles a few times a week so I could have some treats and extra wine. I am maintaining in a similar manner. I just use my weight to tell me if I need to cut back for a while rather than counting calories.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Just under 5'2 here, I agree it sucks being so short as we get fewer calories. I lost 28 kilos (around 62lb I think) over about a year. I started on 1200 calories and was miserable and hated the entire world (the fact I'd quit smoking 2 months beforehand didn't help!) so I upped my calories to 1300 and started first walking for an hour per day to earn extra calories and eating back half of those, and then as my weight dropped I got hooked with running. At first I ran so I could eat, now I run because it keeps me sane because, also, pizza!
    As poster above says, a ton of veggies and salad stuff is helpful as they are low cal and you can stuff your face with them!
    Also, I chew gum. I hate gum, but the fact I'm chewing seems to trick my brain into thinking I'm feeding myself!
  • Barrera1010
    Barrera1010 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is the same for everyone. Finish your day at a calorie deficit.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3". I'm short but I am not petite (meaning I don't have a petite bone structure). I do think it is harder to lose weight that people will notice when you are short. It's also harder when you don't have a lot to lose (not my problem). But it is possible to lose eating healthy protein, and non starchy foods. I eat a lot of fish and that seems to really help. Another thing that I do - when I go to a restaurant, I don't even open the menu - I just order a salad with grilled chicken or grilled shrimp (every restaurant has one) with the dressing on the side.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I’m 5’2 and I’ve nearly lost 35lbs. I started out pretty obese though. I started at 205 (check a BMI calculator if you want to know how bad that was). I’m almost at 170 now 😁 which is what I was when I first tried to lose weight on here in 2015. Lol.

I went through a period of being grumpy about being short too. I’m inactive not by choice but because of injuries. That’s the most frustrating thing. I know I could do a lot more and feel better if I could move more. But it’s what I’ve got to work with. Once my toe issue clears up I can go swimming again, and I do physio exercises every day. (I’m 24 in case it sounds like I’m 60. I get along best with the older ladies at work because we can both whine about knee problems 😂).

I’ve found a solid routine (to the point of monotony) and a higher protein & fibre diet more satiating. I make sandwiches and freeze them, we also have hamburgers and etc frozen.

My goal is 1420 for 1lb/week loss. It was 1480 at the beginning. It might be lower now if I re-did my goals but I’m nervous to touch it 😛 it’s a challenge as is.

I try to remind myself that food = fuel to not feel ill. I did cut calories to the minimum at the beginning or when I’m recovering from a binge to remind myself of what food is for. To observe my hunger levels, not for any sadistic reason.

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy treats, but I make sure they either fit my calories or I just indulge once a week. Usually date night- my SO is blessed with a larger calorie goal and is one of those people that don’t have to eat breakfast to function, so eating a large meal & sharing a dessert is delicious and a lovely time.

But I cut out chips and candy and junk food entirely. Quality treats like ice cream and sharing it with people, not eating snacks alone, are a big focus for me. I did overdo it on firework Oreos the other day at a friends house but they were goooood. And it was social. I’m not social so much that it’s going to wreck my progress to enjoy myself.

The problem being short is that portion sizes are often just not built for us. My mom has some very short, under 5’ friends. And they are always attentive to intake, even if they don’t track calories. Salads are a big thing, they also cut meals in half, take small portions, etc. My grandma is also my height and is renowned for eating very little and savouring one single chocolate for a whole day 😂 and she was always a healthy weight. Still is at 84!
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I’m 5’2 and I’ve nearly lost 35lbs. I started out pretty obese though. I started at 205 (check a BMI calculator if you want to know how bad that was). I’m almost at 170 now 😁 which is what I was when I first tried to lose weight on here in 2015. Lol.

I went through a period of being grumpy about being short too. I’m inactive not by choice but because of injuries. That’s the most frustrating thing. I know I could do a lot more and feel better if I could move more. But it’s what I’ve got to work with. Once my toe issue clears up I can go swimming again, and I do physio exercises every day. (I’m 24 in case it sounds like I’m 60. I get along best with the older ladies at work because we can both whine about knee problems 😂).

I’ve found a solid routine (to the point of monotony) and a higher protein & fibre diet more satiating. I make sandwiches and freeze them, we also have hamburgers and etc frozen.

My goal is 1420 for 1lb/week loss. It was 1480 at the beginning. It might be lower now if I re-did my goals but I’m nervous to touch it 😛 it’s a challenge as is.

I try to remind myself that food = fuel to not feel ill. I did cut calories to the minimum at the beginning or when I’m recovering from a binge to remind myself of what food is for. To observe my hunger levels, not for any sadistic reason.

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy treats, but I make sure they either fit my calories or I just indulge once a week. Usually date night- my SO is blessed with a larger calorie goal and is one of those people that don’t have to eat breakfast to function, so eating a large meal & sharing a dessert is delicious and a lovely time.

But I cut out chips and candy and junk food entirely. Quality treats like ice cream and sharing it with people, not eating snacks alone, are a big focus for me. I did overdo it on firework Oreos the other day at a friends house but they were goooood. And it was social. I’m not social so much that it’s going to wreck my progress to enjoy myself.

The problem being short is that portion sizes are often just not built for us. My mom has some very short, under 5’ friends. And they are always attentive to intake, even if they don’t track calories. Salads are a big thing, they also cut meals in half, take small portions, etc. My grandma is also my height and is renowned for eating very little and savouring one single chocolate for a whole day 😂 and she was always a healthy weight. Still is at 84!

Are you eating back exercise calories? We have basically the same stats, except I started at 210 and I'm only to 190 now.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

Are you eating back exercise calories? We have basically the same stats, except I started at 210 and I'm only to 190 now.

Yeah I usually need to eat them back