Soda

Options
2»

Replies

• DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back to trying to get fit, but I've had good success in the past drinking 6 oz regular coke. I have a little Coke glass and treat half liters like 2 liters.

No idea if it's true (I sense the skepticism or defensiveness) but I've heard some of the additives used for diet drinks mess with your hormone levels. I can't imagine a 6 pack of diet/day would be good for anyone, but one can with lunch could work if you like the taste. Personally, I'd rather drink less and really enjoy it.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I drink Pepsi Max as it tastes great. People say artificial sweeteners are bad for you, but ever since they were invented we've been ingesting them whether we know it or not, as they've been used in tons of foodstuffs for over fifty years, so by now our bodies have more than likely adapted to them, and they're only used in small amounts anyway. Some sweeteners were known to cause cancer in rats, but potatoes were found to cause cancer in rats, too, and no one says potatoes are bad for you. I think as long as you don't go overboard and stick to a moderate amount each day, it's perfectly fine. As with everything, too much of a thing can become a problem. If it's not a problem for you, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    alloyd815 wrote: »
    I still struggle. I drink diet which is horrible for you and caffeine free. I quit completely for a while... need to do it again.

Why is diet soda horrible for you?

The only thing I know diet soda does for certain is erode teeth, not sure if it's more acidic than regular soda. My dentist says one of the worse things you can do is nurse a soda, it baths your teeth over and over again during the day. Instead just drink it quickly over a few minutes.

Also increased risk of osteoporosis, for all soda types.

I'm not in the diet soda is evil group, but I get headaches from some artificial sweeteners and so avoid them all.
  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I sometimes need the fizz but I want to totally avoid the sweeteners. So, I make my own. I take a small handful of my favorite fruit and puree it. Then, I add honey (only if the fruit is really sour) or agave. The amount I use is so small it hardly budges my food diary. Then, I add seltzer water (not tonic water). Done. It is SO good and healthy too. I just budget in the fruit and honey in my food diary.