Need help with macros

Options
So... just joined, goal is to maintain weight and eat healthy (aka no more dinners of M&Ms or potato chips... I'm almost 40 and need to stop doing that!)
I've been tracking my food for a week now and have no trouble with the calorie limit (I'm usually under).
I am surprised at how much fat I eat - usually more than 60% of my diet. I'm not doing keto, so what gives? I am vegetarian and celiac, so I typically eat a ton of veggies and nutrient dense carbs (no bread or crappy gf pasta, more quinoa, brown rice, & buckwheat). Where are all my carbs going? Protein's always been an issue, so being low there is no surprise.
Any tips on reducing fat content and upping carbs & protein?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    What are your primary sources of fat? Are you certain you're using accurate entries?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you temporarily make your diary public, we might either be able to give suggestions or perhaps spot some common logging errors that are messing with your numbers.
  • HazzaMac
    HazzaMac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fats come from nuts & seeds, dairy (yogurt, coffee cream, CHEESE), avocados, olive or almond oil. They're not all bad fats, just apparently more prevalent than I thought.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have no worries about eating high fat, and there are no "bad fats" in real food. Just make sure you're logging correctly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    There are logging errors that people commonly make that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    Obviously, first double-check your database entries, because the database is crowd-sourced: Some are inaccurate.

Once that's done, review your diary every day or few, and notice the foods that are adding relatively many calories to your eating, and contain a lot of fat, but not much protein. Think of some other foods you could eat instead, foods you enjoy eating, that have more protein and less fat. Reduce/eliminate the foods that don't support your goals well, add tasty/filling foods that better support your goals. Just gradually chip away at this, and over time you'll get to a more nutritious but still happy overall way of eating.

It's important to get enough protein, and enough fat. Nutritionally, unless you have a medical condition that requires limiting carbs, it doesn't much matter how many carbs you get, though it may matter to you as an individual for satiation or energy level (satiation and energy level is pretty individual, so you find it out by experimenting).