Low carb foods

Options
Anybody specifically know some fruits and vegetables that are low in carbs?

Replies

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Fruits - peaches, cherries, blueberries, really any kind of berry and grapes. There are portion sizes associated with these, so it doesn't mean you can eat an unlimited amount.
    Vegetables - tomatoes, lettuce, string beans, squash, spinach - any of the leafy greens. Vegetables to be avoided are white potatoes, peas (both green and field), lima beans, corn, and not too many sweet potatoes! Basically anything starchy should be avoided or eaten in very small quantities.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What numbers are you looking for? A low carb diet can be anywhere up to 150g of carbs a day, so some idea of what daily goal you have is helpful in recommending some options that would fit.
  • Ghxstzone
    Ghxstzone Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    71 g of carbs I’m going for
    With protein 150+g
    And fat 27g
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    That is really low carb.
  • kgeyser
    Options
    Ghxstzone wrote: »
    71 g of carbs I’m going for
    With protein 150+g
    And fat 27g

What is your calorie goal? You're not even hitting 1200 as a minimum, and that fat amount looks really low for low carb. Plus the protein seems pretty high.

With 71 g of carbs, you should be able to eat most fruits and vegetables with no problem, especially if you take net carbs into account.
  • Ghxstzone
    Options
    Last time I weighed myself is was 143lbs, with a height of 5’1. I’m pretty sure I’ll hit my calorie which is 1,200. My goal is to get to 118lbs, and once I hit that im gonna up my calories and eat carbs to gain lean muscle mass. I do weight lifting and cardio everyday with Sunday’s as resting days maybe even Saturdays, depends how I’m feeling.
  • kgeyser
    Options
    Last time I weighed myself is was 143lbs, with a height of 5’1. I’m pretty sure I’ll hit my calorie which is 1,200. My goal is to get to 118lbs, and once I hit that im gonna up my calories and eat carbs to gain lean muscle mass. I do weight lifting and cardio everyday with Sunday’s as resting days maybe even Saturdays, depends how I’m feeling.

Ok, a few issues I am seeing with this plan:

1. Weight training and cardio are good; the weight training helps retain muscle mass, which is what you want when losing weight. However, unless the high protein has to do with managing hunger, 150g+ seems excessive for your current body weight and goals. Higher fat tends to go with lower carb.

2. Upping calories while weight training will result in gaining muscle, but it also comes with fat. There's no such thing as just putting on lean muscle without any fat, which is why people run bulk and cut cycles. And for women, it's even harder to put on muscle.

3. With that level of activity, you should be eating well above 1200 and still losing weight. Undereating with that activity level increases your risk of injury, which means then you'll likely be out of commission for workouts and it will take even longer to reach your goals.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Why such low fat and high protein? It really is unnecessary and won't make reaching your goal any easier. That amount of carbs is fine, but I'd seriously consider lowering the protein and eating more fat just for health purposes.
  • Ghxstzone
    Options
    Alright I will down my protein and up the fat grams
    Also out of the whole situation, do any of you know a way I can do push-ups without putting pressure on the toes?
  • kgeyser
    Options
    Alright I will down my protein and up the fat grams
    Also out of the whole situation, do any of you know a way I can do push-ups without putting pressure on the toes?

Knee push-ups, wall push-ups. Those do reduce the amount of weight you are moving in the push-up, but you can adjust the count of your reps to increase the difficulty, such as slower reps or a three-count to lower with a one count push-up (eccentric exercises). You can also adjust the hand position - wide push-ups, one hand further in front than the other (just remember to do both sides), hands closer to your sides. There are all sorts of variations with push-ups to keep it challenging.
  • Ghxstzone
    Options
    Alright, I appreciate the advise and help, thank you!