Tracking Net Carbs

Options
Is there a way to track Net Carbs? For example, The NET carbs for a food are TOTAL CARBS - FIBER. Example: 100g of avocado contains 9g carbs. 7g of these are from insoluble fiber and don't elicit a strong insulin response; you don't count them. 9g - 7g = 2g NET carbs per 100g avocado.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to track fiber instead of sugar in your diet. Subtract fiber from carbs.

Of course, if you're not checking the entries you use, you could be using some non-U.S. entries that already show net carbs instead of total carbs, so you would be subtracting the fiber twice.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The program itself doesn't do this. I think there is an add on you can get though. Do a search of the forums for net carb add on. I've never used it, so I can't vouch for it. Alternatively, when you look up foods, add "net carb" in the search bar and look for entries that are already net carb. Or do as suggested by lynn_glenmont.
  • mclelis
    mclelis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you, i knew there was a way, just wasn't sure what to eliminate.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    What Lynn said.
  • mclelis
    Options
    so now the Fiber number is my net carbs, Correct?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    mclelis wrote: »
    so now the Fiber number is my net carbs, Correct?

No, if you are doing why Lynn suggested, you subtract the fibre from the carbs to get your net carbs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Do what you did in the example you used in your OP. Total carbs - fibre = net carbs.
  • mclelis
    Options
    thank you....starting Keto, so want to be as accurate as I can. Appreciate all your help
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Or to get your log to show net carbs instead of total carbs, choose net carb entries for everything you use - there are many already available in the database but you can make your own if something isn't there
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Or to get your log to show net carbs instead of total carbs, choose net carb entries for everything you use - there are many already available in the database but you can make your own if something isn't there

Just a warning -- check any entry labeled net carbs to be sure that it's accurate -- I've seen a lot of entries labeled net carbs that aren't.