ORANGE THEORY🍊💪🏼

Options

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I really love it as well. I'm doing 8 sessions a month since I'm also doing yoga. The challenges and special events keep it fun.
  • cguevarra
    cguevarra Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    I was super keen the first month or so. Bumped my membership up to the top level. Then I got an injury and it took forever to heal. hurt my elbows - i blame the rowing. And when I went back I found the workouts were sorta lame. 30 minutes doing squats or working the same arm muscle. Bleh. I plan to cancel soon.

i need more careful monitoring during floor work as I am a bit of a dunce and do things wrong. the one trainer i had initially was super helpful but he left sadly. the others since have been a bit meh (good in some ways but not super helpful on the floor as they are busy with the treadmill routine)

Sorry you injured yourself. That would put anyone in an uncomfortable situation and trying to heal. You’re absolutely right All trainers are different but I’m sorry you had that experience. Don’t give up!!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    cguevarra wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    cguevarra wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Is this an ad?

I kind of was wondering too

^^^

Alright! I’m going to schedule my trial session for next week!

Make sure you tell us how you liked it. I’m going again for my second free trial Saturday morning

Did my free trial workout last night and was pretty happy with the process. I wasn’t able to do all of the sets in between rowing and also the during the weights, but the trainer assured me it’s better to do them with the proper form than rushing through.
    I’ve actually been replaying the session in my mind thinking about my next workout (Saturday) and deciding where I can improve. Like another poster said, I had definitely gotten bored at the gym and have been feeling my trainer wasn’t that into me anymore either lol. So I cancelled my training contract and signed up for the unlimited at Orangetheory. I have 11 sessions scheduled for August.

So thanks everybody for the reviews & fedback - it was just what I needed!
  • amyepdx
    Options
    Oh, and even thought I’d be jogging on the treadmill, I decided to go with the power walking, with the inclines, I think it’s a harder workout!
  • jaylynny4444
    jaylynny4444 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think I've got a balanced review. I've been doing Orange Theory for three months, two to three times a week. The trainer where I was doing lifting and circuit training left my gym. I hate hate hate cardio and really needed some, so I went when our new studio opened. I'm 57, lost 30lb four years ago and have kept it off, lift but not super heavy, do Barre3 as well. I work out 7-8 times a week.

The good:
    - lots of cardio, quickly. This is why I first liked it. It's horrible, but it's over and you're done. Strangely, now I don't hate cardio as much. Interesting... :) I've definitely improved re stamina. I'm a runner! Okay, I'm a jogger. But I started as a reluctant walker.
    - for me, cheaper by far than the training sessions at my old place. Sometime my husband and I would train together and it was $90 for both of us. Now we're paying about $36 for the hour.
    - I really was hung up at first on the notion that everyone could see how I was doing (ie that I was about to have a heart attack). I soon realized-- no one cares. No one. They care about their own name on the screen.

The bad:
    - no one really watches your form in the weight room part of the workout. The one 'trainer' is zipping from telling people what to do on the treadmill, then to the rowers, then messing with the music. It's very frenetic. I see such bad form-- someone is going to hurt themselves. They try, I think, to check form, but the structure of the place makes that impossible. Because I was trained well, I'm okay. But a person new to weights/TRX/etc-- yikes. I think this is OTF's biggest downside.
    - it's frenetic. If you don't like chaos, it might not be for you. Our studio has way too few restrooms and no shower. They could take a tip from the Barre3 studios.
    - it's a pretty hard sell for memberships after your first free class. But I understand why-- they're a business, after all.
    - it's culty. But you know what? All successful franchise studios are. And for a certain kind of client (read: people like me, sigh), culty works lol. I haven't bought an OTF shirt yet. BUT I'M THINKING ABOUT IT lol.
    - the science (EPOC-- afterburn lasting 24-36 hrs) is very sketchy imo (I'm a physician and work with a smart physiologist). But as long as OTF is working for me-- I'm okay with it.
    -
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I love OrangeTheory as well but you have to accept it for what it is: cardio, lots of cardio. Even the weight floor is, in essence, cardio. The "lifting" is too fast, too light and involves almost no focus on form. I've been to OTF studios in 5 states scattered around the country and that's been true at every studio that I've visited.

I have a bit of experience lifting so I make sure to do the lifts slowly and I go heavier than what's recommended. This has worked well for me and I still love my OTF. (As another poster mentioned, it is admittedly a bit cult-like).

ETA: Typos.
  • FireOpalCO
    Options
    I like my studio since it's not very full. Last night's session was just one group. That also let's the trainer focus more on us as we are doing the weight training. I think for full groups they really should have two trainers, one to run the session and one to focus on form in the weight area (and the rowing machine, saw someone last week where I'm surprised she didn't hit herself in the neck).

The weights they have are more then I can handle right now, so they are a real challenge for me.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The bad:
    - no one really watches your form in the weight room part of the workout. The one 'trainer' is zipping from telling people what to do on the treadmill, then to the rowers, then messing with the music. It's very frenetic. I see such bad form-- someone is going to hurt themselves. They try, I think, to check form, but the structure of the place makes that impossible. Because I was trained well, I'm okay. But a person new to weights/TRX/etc-- yikes. I think this is OTF's biggest downside.

-

and this is what killed it for me. I got injuries. I am a dunce at weight stuff and need to see things more than once. the little videos are pretty crap to see form. Plus you recently we seem to always end up doing like 40+++ reps of any one exercise which is too much for my beginner muscles. so I end up with 2 over used over tired muscles. Which is crap if you are going once a week (I am doing tons of running building up to a race, and we do things like hill sessions - so I can only go to the gym once).

when is started I was choosing a most excellent trainer who i talked to and knew I was struggling on the floor and he looked out for me. he was comfortable with everything and it wasn't the "runners go to rower go to floor" routines so he could easily keep the runners going and help us on the floor. But he is no longer there. Most of the new (and not so new) trainers are fine, nice and all that but some days the workout are so convoluted they can't pay as much attention (nor are they as good I think at helping with form themselves).

started in April and have given my notice to cancel this week (as you have to give a 30 day notice - so I'll still be going for August).
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain the reason behind the
    Orange? Why orange?
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Orange? Why orange?
    It started in Florida.

• leftsox
    leftsox Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find thier prices a little insane considering the small space and lack of amenities...my local 24 is half the price and four times the room with pool spa steam room and sauna...all classes included and they do corporate discounts for my and my husbands companies....ps..not an ad just some one who likes a little bang for thier buck
  • FireOpalCO
    Options
    leftsox wrote: »
    I find thier prices a little insane considering the small space and lack of amenities...my local 24 is half the price and four times the room with pool spa steam room and sauna...all classes included and they do corporate discounts for my and my husbands companies....ps..not an ad just some one who likes a little bang for thier buck

24 as in 24 Hour Fitness? I had a membership there. They have so few classrooms and so many types of classes that I was basically at their mercy. Want to do a cycle class? Only one is at 5:45 am. Want to take a step class? What are you doing at 1:30 PM on Fridays? It was frustrating, either try to find something on their ridiculous schedule or be left to my own devices with cardio machines and weights.

I do wish OT had more showers, but my 24 did not stock their bathrooms with shampoo, body wash, lotion, tampons, etc. They also weren't spotless.
  • amyepdx
    edited August 2018
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    leftsox wrote: »

24 as in 24 Hour Fitness? I had a membership there. They have so few classrooms and so many types of classes that I was basically at their mercy. Want to do a cycle class? Only one is at 5:45 am. Want to take a step class? What are you doing at 1:30 PM on Fridays? It was frustrating, either try to find something on their ridiculous schedule or be left to my own devices with cardio machines and weights.

I do wish OT had more showers, but my 24 did not stock their bathrooms with shampoo, body wash, lotion, tampons, etc. They also weren't spotless.

Yeah - so not apples to apples. I’m keeping my LA Fitness monthly $30 membership for the occasional yoga class and treadmills in the winter but otherwise mid-day step classes (hello ‘80’s) and Zumba aren’t my thing.

The lack of amenities/showers, etc luckily isn’t a problem for me @OT since it’s only 6 blocks from my apt.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Our OT just opened last week - I've got 4 classes under my belt so far. I do the 5am class, so there are typically only 10-12 people and I find that the trainers have been great so far. The one on the mic is more focused on the treadmill people and the other one is focused on the floor/weight area and I've noticed them often correcting form.

I belong to another gym as well and only really signed up for OT (8x/mo) to help change things up in my routine. I thought I would check it out for a month, get back into a groove and then cancel, but I think I might stick with it as well as my other gym. I still spin and lift on the days I don't do OT.
  • amyepdx
    Options
    I think I've got a balanced review. I've been doing Orange Theory for three months, two to three times a week. The trainer where I was doing lifting and circuit training left my gym. I hate hate hate cardio and really needed some, so I went when our new studio opened. I'm 57, lost 30lb four years ago and have kept it off, lift but not super heavy, do Barre3 as well. I work out 7-8 times a week.

The good:
    - lots of cardio, quickly. This is why I first liked it. It's horrible, but it's over and you're done. Strangely, now I don't hate cardio as much. Interesting... :) I've definitely improved re stamina. I'm a runner! Okay, I'm a jogger. But I started as a reluctant walker.
    - for me, cheaper by far than the training sessions at my old place. Sometime my husband and I would train together and it was $90 for both of us. Now we're paying about $36 for the hour.
    - I really was hung up at first on the notion that everyone could see how I was doing (ie that I was about to have a heart attack). I soon realized-- no one cares. No one. They care about their own name on the screen.

The bad:
    - it's frenetic. If you don't like chaos, it might not be for you. Our studio has way too few restrooms and no shower. They could take a tip from the Barre3 studios.
    - it's a pretty hard sell for memberships after your first free class. But I understand why-- they're a business, after all.
    - it's culty. But you know what? All successful franchise studios are. And for a certain kind of client (read: people like me, sigh), culty works lol. I haven't bought an OTF shirt yet. BUT I'M THINKING ABOUT IT lol.
    - the science (EPOC-- afterburn lasting 24-36 hrs) is very sketchy imo (I'm a physician and work with a smart physiologist). But as long as OTF is working for me-- I'm okay with it.
    -

Yep - I’m officially in the cult now - I bought a water bottle!!
  • amyepdx
    Options
    I just did my 70th OTF class today. My all out speed on the treadmill is up to 8 mph and I am using 15 or 20 pound weights, up from 8 pounds when I started. Not bad for a 54 year old woman.

Wow!
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How long is the cardio portion?
  • amyepdx
    Options
    DebTavares wrote: »
    How long is the cardio portion?

It’s about 40 minutes split between the treadmill and rower. It goes by so fast with the different intervals too!