What can I Swap out potatoes with?

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Most have said what I do. I love rutagabas now. Fantastic with some Yukon Golds, cooked in a little broth and just a bit of butter or margarine and some chives/whole grain mustard (just a bit). Just cut down on the cream, butter. I like root mashes - rutabagas, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips (the last two way underutilized in my fat life).
    Think about an air fryer for your fries. It's like a portable countertop convection device that you don't need much oil to make fries.

Mark my words.... Rutabagas are going to be new zucchini and cauliflower within a year.

Turnip noodles in a stir-fry with a sweet-n-sour sauce. A tiny piece of heaven...
  • brisadeldesierto
    brisadeldesierto Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Besides the idea others gave you, I think there are many healthy carbs that you can use to replace the potatoes so the meal still consists of a protein, veggies and a carb.

Among those are fresh corn, beans, lentils, chickpeas, brown rice, quinoa, nuts... In the right amounts the are very filling and have great nutritional value.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Besides the idea others gave you, I think there are many healthy carbs that you can use to replace the potatoes so the meal still consists of a protein, veggies and a carb.

Among those are fresh corn, beans, lentils, chickpeas, brown rice, quinoa, nuts... In the right amounts the are very filling and have great nutritional value.

Nuts? They're a fat source really...
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are one of the few foods I could never give up. I just love them so!

I like to slice them just like fries (peel on), spritz with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and cook on high heat in the oven. Turn over half-way through cooking. That does the fry trick for me.

When it comes to a substitute, all of the suggestions for root veggies are good. I also really like jasmine rice. Calories in 1/2 cup are around 100, so when I fix that the rest of the meal is lots of low-cal veg and a little lean meat. Jasmine rice only takes 15 minutes to cook, so it's also a fast meal item. Quinoa is a close second. Also takes only 15 minutes to cook and has a bit of protein along with carbs.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There was at least one study that had boiled potatoes as the # 1 most satiating food.

Yep. Probably my most-filling-for-the-calories breakfast (when I have extra time in the morning) is sunny side up egg(s) on potatoes. Boiled potatoes are less than 1 calorie per gram.
  • brisadeldesierto
    brisadeldesierto Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Nuts? They're a fat source really...

You're right. They do have carbs though, specially some type of nuts such as chestnuts. And they are a good way to incorporate some carbs in the food for people who still want to have low carb diet.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I love potatoes and they are not in any way harming my weight maintenance. I particularly like new potatoes, just steamed without any oil or a small drizzle of olive oil (I’d typically eat about 250g of new potatoes with about 5ml of olive oil as one dinner portion, accompanying chicken or fish). I also love cubed potatoes added to soups or curries, they soak up the flavours very nicely.

I also love sweet potatoes, butternut squash etc, but I don’t see them as substitutes for potatoes, just delicious foods in their own right. Has anyone mentioned celeriac yet? Very low calorie (under 30 cal per 100g) and you do get a feeling you are eating something more subtantial than you are. But it has a strong flavour which goes better with some foods than others.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @nicolejames222 I have recently discovered mashed cauliflower. Boil the florets of a head of cauliflower for ten minutes or until soft. Drain. Mash the florets. You can add milk and butter as you would mashed potatoes.
    If you want to try it Trader Joe's has it pre-packaged. I am sure other places must carry it as well.
    https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/mashed-cauliflower

Green Giant makes some "tots" which are very good but higher in sodium than I would like. Available in the frozen section of most stores.
    https://www.greengiant.com/products/veggie-tots/

Mark my words.... Rutabagas are going to be new zucchini and cauliflower within a year. August 3, 2018 8:46AM
    Marked.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are great for potassium. I include them my plan. However I don’t eat them quite as often because I have been trying to introduce more variety to my menu. I never knew I liked cauliflower until a friend helped me prepare dinner. We had the most delicious roasted cauliflower with smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, Italian seasoning, and kosher salt. Another night the same friend introduced me to roasted butternut squash. I am having lots of fun trying new vegetables. But after reading today, I think potatoes are in tonight’s menu....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Have the potatoes. Just don't put a ton of butter or oil on them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Any additional vegetable. I rarely serve potatoes with the meal. Lots of unneeded calories for me.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that has had Yukon gold potatoes has about abandoned Russet potatoes. I gladly pay the extra $ and get those or even the gold potatoes from Trader Joe's (organic and regular)--all have buttery/creamy texture that will blow you away. You won't miss butter. I often eat these by themselves or with plain Greek yogurt, which is high in protein and low in carbs. A little bit of vinegar provides more bite and some tomatoes make it more of a ketchup without the sugar.

Happy potatoes to you!
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    PS. I turned to potatoes to get my potassium in an effort to reduce muscle cramping when swimming laps. Potatoes have helped me go from 169 lb to 151 lb. in 9 months. I'm 5'8"
  • anncammarata1272
    anncammarata1272 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Couscous or brown rice to swap as your starch is a nice change.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Celery root has similar texture and lower calorie.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes as often as possible. Good sources of fiber, potassium and other vitamins, and obviously carbs. However, if I want to save calories I have baked and even mashed cauliflower. Cauliflower tossed in some EVOO, with salt + pepper and a little garlic toward the end baked in the oven until brown around the edges makes a really good low calorie side replacement for a baked potato.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Most have said what I do. I love rutagabas now. Fantastic with some Yukon Golds, cooked in a little broth and just a bit of butter or margarine and some chives/whole grain mustard (just a bit). Just cut down on the cream, butter. I like root mashes - rutabagas, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips (the last two way underutilized in my fat life).
    Think about an air fryer for your fries. It's like a portable countertop convection device that you don't need much oil to make fries.

Mark my words.... Rutabagas are going to be new zucchini and cauliflower within a year.

They (and turnips) already are. I use both to bulk up casseroles and mashes and things. And Pinterest is abuzz. But they also are some of the best veggies to spiralize because they hold their texture and shape better than a lot of options. Around here, turnip and rutabaga “noodles” are readily available in the grocery store right next to the cauliflower rice.