Advice needed: How to tell a family member that they need to lose weight

Options
I spoke with a woman today who has a severely overweight nephew. He is 28 years old and has 100+lbs to lose, and as he lives overseas and just came to visit she saw how serious the impact on his health was - we live in Paris and it's very hot right now, he couldn't go sightseeing or walk around too much because it is difficult at his size, they in the end restricted their activities to airconditioned places near the metro stations, etc.

She adores her nephew and has never raised his weight as a topic of discussion with him, his mother, her sister, has already done so and from the sound of it it's been very awful, she mentioned threats "unless you lose the weight...' etc among other things, I'm sure some of you on the forum have experience with this yourselves. i told her from the outset that her sister needed to drop it and come from a place of love and support rather than desperation and unhappiness.

Today I told her about my own story, she asked me a lot of questions of what it took for me to get started, how I did it, if my life has improved, that kind of stuff; she explained that she's been having sleepless nights because she wants to talk to her nephew but do it in a way that will be kind and helpful, she genuinely wants to help him. She asked my advice and I thought I'd put the question out here because I only have my own story, and it was uninfluenced by my family.

Perhaps some of you here have helpful advice for her? Of course he will only do something if he wants to himself, but from the sounds of it he's not having an easy time with his parents and perhaps a different approach and support may help? I told her about MFP and how awesome it was, but I don't know how a family member raising the topic should look like, and just sending him a link is probably not the best approach.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Did the nephew bring up how his mom talked to him about it? If so, she should just let him know that if he ever wants to have a no-judgement conversation about it she is available. If he brings up health concerns or disappointment of how his weight affects what he can do, she could let him know that you lost weight using MFP and give him the website.

But if he doesn't bring it up, unfortunately she should probably stay out of it. If she initiates it in any way, she is risking him getting defensive and pulling away. As others have said, he's an adult, he knows he's overweight and it's affecting him, and it's his choice to do something about it or not. Maybe when he leaves, she can express how wonderful it was to see him, how much she cares about him, and if he ever needs help, support, or just someone to talk to (about anything), she is always there for him.

In the meantime, maybe modeling a good diet and an active lifestyle while he is around will help plant the seed in his brain. It really is terrible to watch someone struggle that way, when you can see the way out but they just won't go through the door. But if he's already being pushed in a bad way, she would probably just be seen as piling on :disappointed:
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    No amount of external pressure will make someone ready to lose weight. That's a personal decision. When and if he's ready, he can seek out help.

It only creates unneeded conflict for others to harp about his weight. Everyone needs to keep their eyes on their own plate. Bothering him about his weight may just make him dig in his heels and take longer to be ready.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think she should just tell him that she loves him and wants him to be happy and healthy because he deserves to feel good.
    Then she could ask if he wants to talk about what he wants to do, how he is feeling. She should listen to him not decide for him what he needs.
    I think she should avoid telling him what to do or how to do it.
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's best to lead by example to influence someone's desire to lose weight rather than to verbally tell them to do it
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    One time, once, tell him that she’s afraid he’s putting his life at risk. Or how ever she wants to put it. Then drop it forever.

Will this get him to change? Unlikely, probably highly unlikely. But this way, if he drop dead or has some serious weight related health issue, she might not feel so guilty.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Nope he knows he is living on borrowed time. It has to be originated by him and no one else. Stay out of it or it could backfire!
    Just love him no matter his size!
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I would say nothing, unless explicitly asked for help. Although obesity is unhealthy, people have the right to free will. That, and saying something won't work, anyway.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Advice needed: How to tell a family member that they need to lose weight

How?

You don't.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers, I've passed everything on and she said it gave her a lot of insight and food for thought!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,173 Member
    Options
    He knows he's over weight, unless he asks for help, don't say anything.

I agree with you. He knows he should lose weight. He sees it every time he looks in the mirror. No need to say anything.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    well I think the writer is talking about a helpful kind intervention, nothing wrong w that. do it w love. be kind. be direct. stop when done, don't badger and offer your services.
  • Khrystian
    Khrystian Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think if you love someone you owe them the conversation, better that than crying at their funeral because you didn't want to hurt their feelings. I definitely dont think being mean nasty or judgemental is the answer. Come from a place of love and a we can do this together. I believe in you.