Percent body fat for women

Options
My diet is being supervised by my physician. I've been very successful so far and have reach a healthy BMI, and surpassed the weight goals I had set for myself. I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 144. My doctor uses a special medical equipment thing (like a bod pod, but different) to measure my percent body fat, lean muscle, and water weight. My current body fat is 29.8%. I was ecstatic to be under 30! She wants me to get it under 28%. This seems kind of random to me. I think I can do it, but it will be slow going. I'm slowing still losing fat while maintaining muscle.

My question is, if you measure and track body fat, what is your goal? Is 28% the ideal?

Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I believe 25-30% is considered average. Maybe she just wants you below the middle of "normal"?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    That is random. Did you ask her why? I just googled it and what I'm looking at says "healthy/acceptable" is 25-32%

I don't keep track of my body fat. I have no idea what it is.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I "feel" (haven't measured), compared with images on the net, that I'm around 25%, and I'm personally very happy with that.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Now I'm thinking she wants me to have a cushion before I start maintenance, which makes sense.
    Thanks everyone!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    the charts also change with age which I think is somewhat BS. But one of my personal goals was to be under 20% BF and fall in the athletic range. I use one of those little hand held machines and while it may not be totally accurate it does probably show deltas on a week to week basis fairly competently. But I think you have to be careful with any #s on a chart because it's all very personal. BMI, BF%, Weight etc are just #s. Your goals should be based on your own body and health - age, fitness etc and not on a chart - use that for guidelines of population averages.

I agree! I have relatively high bf% (~25), but that's considered lean for my age, and its recommended I don't get any leaner. Except all my fat is draped around my middle, and I'm doing a slow recomp for vanity reasons, and I just don't see a problem with that.
  • ChristianMomWifeFriend
    Options
    At 5'5 I have always been 145 (bmi 24.1) pounds, until I got pregnant 6 years ago and got up to 220 (bmi 36.6) lol I know I couldn't believe I was already 175 pounds the appointment I got tested to confirm pregnancy. :D

But years later I'm down to 157 (bmi 26.1) and still losing. I want to be 150 (bmi 25.0) . I will not be comfortable being under 145 unless I'm weight training. Which I did when I was younger and it only lasted a year. I was down to 135 (bmi 22.5) .

My extra fat makes me feel secure in the case of a famine I want to live a while ;)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Before putting on the excess weight, I was in the 13-18% range, and that was what looked best on me. My body immediately stores fat straight to my middle, which has it's own implications and potential issues. Besides vanity, that's another reason for me to be at the lower end. I am a competitor as well, so there would be plenty of other benefits from getting myself back to that weight and fitness level - fitness is getting there, now I'm attacking the weight issue.

I haven't had my BF measured beyond my scale (which we all know is about as inaccurate as you can get), but there's no doubt that it's WAY to high for my frame. Big blobs of fat just above my illiac crest that stick out further than my hips do - current #s are 5' 7", ~154 lbs, and actually carrying a decent muscle mass under the fat.

Every person and body is different, unless someone is clearly in the unhealthy category, I don't see the need to worry about it. Bodies carry weight differently from one individual to another.
  • Cgall1
    Cgall1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hope I'm on topic here. This is my first post/question... I am having trouble reading my dexa scan results. Can anyone help? I'm 57, 5 foot 5.5, 120 lbs. I don't understand the following: patient mass 54.4kg , fat mass 9.787, lean mass 6.114kg, tissue fat 18.8%
    Is fat mass my body fat? Thanks in advance!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Cgall1 wrote: »
    Hope I'm on topic here. This is my first post/question... I am having trouble reading my dexa scan results. Can anyone help? I'm 57, 5 foot 5.5, 120 lbs. I don't understand the following: patient mass 54.4kg , fat mass 9.787, lean mass 6.114kg, tissue fat 18.8%

Did they not give you the summary sheet? Typically it’s spelled out pretty clearly
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Cgall1 wrote: »

Yes. You have about 21 lbs of fat, giving you about 18% body fat.

• Cgall1
    Cgall1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!