Veggies you never knew you liked

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There are no veggies that I do not like and will not eat.

Grew up in an "ethnic" household where many rare and unusual ingredients were used in cooking (many that I still cook myself) and this made it easy for me to accept eating virtually anything.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I’m not a very good veggie eater :( my absolute fav is green beans. I grow them in my garden and they get eaten alive by Japanese beetles. Makes me so sad. I’m on a beetle killing mission this summer. I pretty much only eat green beans and broccoli (as sides) I eat tomatoes and cucumbers too but that’s more of a snack type thing and not a dinner side type veggie. I eat onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, turnips, peppers, but those are more IN my meals and not as a separate side. I need to branch out...

I think my first ever "job" was picking Japanese beetles off the plants in my mom's garden when I was little.

Funny, I remember them as being a big problem when I was a kid but I haven't seen any in years.

I have something similar to this which is working great to keep cabbage moths off my kale - maybe it will work for your beans? Good luck!

https://smile.amazon.com/Tierra-Garden-50-5030-Haxnicks-Micromesh/dp/B004ZUEWT6/ref=sr_1_3

715m7akyM2L._SX466_.jpg

You must live farther east than I do. I’m in Missouri. I think they’ve only gotten really bad here in the last few years. At least as far as I’ve noticed...
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Fiddleheads and rainbow chard!
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I used to not really care for brussel sprouts but now I love 'em! I steam them and put balsamic glaze on top. I'm gonna try roasting them soon. And butternut squash! I had butternut squash soup one fall and have been hooked since! Love making my own now :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a variety of veggies since I was a kid; I'm on blood thinners now so I have to watch my intake of leafy greens because of the vitamin K. Here are a few that I love:

Rapini (aka broccoli rabe) - looks like anemic broccoli, it's bitter and great sauteed with some sausage.
    Artichokes - love artichoke hearts, also love Sicilian-style stuffed whole artichokes.
    Morels - the most delicious mushrooms you've ever eaten, but very expensive. Used to pick them myself.
    Seaweed salad, Japanese style
    Fennel - I make a caponata that includes fennel as an ingredient.
    JIcama - kind of a water chestnut/coconut crunch, slightly sweet
    Beets - love them pickled, want to try roasting them in the oven.

A couple I haven't tried that I'd like to:

Japanese shishito peppers
    Cardoon

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I can’t stand the bitter veggies. So I’ve been in a mission to find enough veg To get my 8 servings a day and LIKE it.

My discoveries this past year are fennel and water chestnuts (fresh or frozen, NOT canned). Yummy
  • MelissaSheklian
    MelissaSheklian Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Long beans are my newest favorite, they tend to be pretty cheap at Asian markets (ranch 99, etc) and have a good amount of fiber, similar taste to green beans but a bit “heartier”
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I didn't like eggplant, but I do now. I really like it.
  • brisadeldesierto
    brisadeldesierto Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I always ate beets boiled, but only liked them in a high calorie recipe which included tons of mayo. A few years ago I started eating them raw, grated. They're freaking delicious. Mixed with raw grated carrots, add some lemon juice and olive oil, mhh delicious. You can also mix the grated beets with grated horseradish roots and vinegar to make ćwikła, a Polish sauce that's great for meats (but I eat it as a dip as well haha).

I also learned to eat the leaves of the beets. The big ones are a bit hard, so I cook them like I would do with spinach preparations. But the small ones are really tender, and they are awesome raw on a salad: a bunch of arugula and beet leaves with small bits of blue cheese and walnuts, cherry tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That's the perfect salad for me.

And you can eat the leaves from the radish as well. The texture is weird so I always cook them, but they are delicious!

Another vegetable that I recently tried and loved is cooking bananas (plantains). They are a great source of fibers and vitamins. They are usually fried, but I make mash with them (Mangú, a Dominican dish) or have them in some deserts (plantains & chocolate truffles.. mhh).
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with most vegetables, but I can't develop a taste for Brussels sprouts. I love rutabaga. And I love spaghetti squash. I love the texture.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Eggplant is the only one that I've discovered I like recently. There's plenty that I eat as an adult that I wouldn't eat as a kid (green beans, spinach, cucumbers, zucchini, to name a few).

Still don't like beets or turnips.
  • Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I’ve discovered some amazingly good varieties of cucumbers at local farmers markets and farm stands that I never ever knew existed until a few years ago
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I like most veggies but for me it's been radishes. I hated them growing up. I will not eat them raw. They tasted spicy and bitter. Now I put them in a roast in the place of potatoes because once they are cooked they taste very good, no hot or bitter taste and just taste plain almost like a white potato.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Discovered I loved Brussels Sprouts.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Edible flowers (squash blossoms) inside of an empanada.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I second fiddleheads. My dad and I would always go "fiddleheading" when brook fishing. He drowns his in ACV i like some on mine but mostly butter.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Im gonna be honest here. I have not met a veggie I did not like, yet.

I second. I used to just judge them from what people said. Now? It's a love affair.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I've been exposed to all kinds of vegetables since I was a kid, so it's rare for me to find something new, but a while ago I had these baby greens I really enjoyed. I didn't know what they were, but I believe they were baby red chard or, more likely, baby beet greens, based on others' feedback on here. Such a great earthy flavor. I know I like the vast majority of vegetables (except sweet ones), so I wasn't expecting to hate them, but I didn't expect to like them so much.
  • Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me, it'd be brussels sprouts.