Frustrated

Options
Today I went to the Y and weighed myself, even though I had just weighed in yesterday, and I was so discouraged. As of yesterday, I weighed 152 even...today I weigh 153.4. I never eat my exercise calories. I feel like it defeats the purpose and sometimes I find it hard enough to get to 1200. I don't want to feel like I'm overeating...it makes me feel worse about myself. I know everyone's going to say water weight, but I just don't understand why I can't get past these same numbers. I've been somewhere between 152 and 154 for so long and it's driving me insane!! I'm doing the elliptical, 30DS and walking 3 miles every day. I don't get why I can't break into the 140's. Please help!!

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    this sounds just like me. today for the first time in YEARS I am in the 140's. I workout hard and eat back my exercise cals (within 300 to leave room for error). Very vigorous exercise plus more healthy food has yielded me 7 lbs lost in a month!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    How many cals are you eating on average? Net and total? I mean... Are you eating enough?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Well, you have just identified your problem - you don't eat back exercise calories. I could explain it, but this guy does a great job:

FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WORK OUT LIKE CRAZY AND ARE NOT LOSING:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    First: you can't gain a pound and a half in a day. Don't weigh yourself everyday because you're just looking at the daily fluctuations in water weight and even if you haven't defecated recently.

Second, you should be eating your exercise calories because MFP already includes a calorie deficit. 1200 calories minus the deficit with your exercise it too much. Your body will start to hold on to your fat like glue. EAT.
  • linzmarie316
    Options
    Ok, I will give eating my exercise calories a try...what are some good foods that I can add that I won't have to feel so guilty about?? THANK YOU!
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    to add some "good" calories you could try some almonds or other nuts.... good fats and higer calories and you dont have to eat very many so you wont feel "fat full" :)
  • melmck2011
    Options
    Try eating things higher in protein following a workout. Nuts, milk, etc.. this will promote muscle building and will keep you fuller longer.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    you need to be eating more calories! there is too much of a daily deficit (judging from your diary). eat back those cals from exercise!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    What about lifting weights??? Are you weight training at all? You really should be, PLUS eating those exercise cals!

Good luck!
  • linzmarie316
    Options
    What about lifting weights??? Are you weight training at all? You really should be, PLUS eating those exercise cals!

Good luck!

Yep! I am, but I don't enter it in because most of the time I don't know what it's called! ;) And I noticed it doesn't affect my calories. Thanks!
  • ritchiela
    Options
    Change your work out routine up, maybe people who do the same thing every day find themselves loosing weight at first then stuck in the same numbers for awhile, drink half your weight in oz of water each day too, it will help burn off the fat stuck inside. Hope that helps!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Yep! I am, but I don't enter it in because most of the time I don't know what it's called! ;) And I noticed it doesn't affect my calories. Thanks!

MFP doesn't calculate calories for strengh routines bc they vary. If you wear an HRM to estimate your calories burned during the activity, you can then "add an activity" within cardio, for your own use, and it will be there each time you enter as a choice. I had to add in my own for paddle boarding - I put in one for lagoon SUP and one for ocean SUP--big difference in cardio expenditure, but they are both strength training activities.

blessings.
  • lizzyjgv
    lizzyjgv Posts: 10
    Options
    you have to eat your exercise calories and i actually just found out yesterday by reading this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

its very helpful and you will understand why you need to eat your exercise calories. i was doing the same thing before too, i dont eat my exercise calories coz i thought all my hard work will go to waste. but what we are doing, we are only starving our bodies with less calories and our bodies respond by storing every calories we eat as fats than use it for energy. it all makes sense coz ive been doing well for quite a few days now but ive still only lost .2 pounds! so now im trying to eat all my exercise calories and also hoping to tip the scale now =)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Good luck!

If you enter your strength training under cardio, MFP will calculate the calories for you. The strength training option in the diary is just for tracking reps and such. So it will definitely affect your calorie burn.

And if you're exercising that much and lifting weights, you definitely need to eat more.