RUNNING FAT ADAPTED

Options
I just joined premium MFP. I run road and trail & have been running by the Maffetone (max heart rate) method for 1 month. I'm also trying to do KETO. I've gained 5 lbs, hopefully muscle? Decided to watch macros and stay committed. Anyone run fat adapted ?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain weight?
  • CogentHMS
    CogentHMS Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mid, I agree. I have read that book as well. It has good value in it.. Good call...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Johna1969 wrote: »
    I just joined premium MFP. I run road and trail & have been running by the Maffetone (max heart rate) method for 1 month. I'm also trying to do KETO. I've gained 5 lbs, hopefully muscle? Decided to watch macros and stay committed. Anyone run fat adapted ?

Since you just started to run, it's possible the increase in weight is driven from intra cellular water retention. I generally carry 2-3 lbs of additional water weight from exercise. Your body does this as a means to repair micro tears in your muscle fibers caused by stresses.

But you won't gain muscle by running.... muscular efficiency, sure (adaptations from your CNS).

Also, women can carry more water weight than men, so TOM and other factors can come into play. But I would also ask if you are tracking calories, because keto or not, you can still gain fat eating keto.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you would like to see the in depth debate about gaining fat while in ketosis please see this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10686726/can-you-gain-fat-while-in-ketosis

Thanks,
    4legs
    MFP moderator
  • CogentHMS
    CogentHMS Posts: 24 Member
    Options

If you would like to see the in depth debate about gaining fat while in ketosis please see this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10686726/can-you-gain-fat-while-in-ketosis

Thanks,
    4legs
    MFP moderator

I don’t see a thread when I click on that link. It directs me to this thread. Can you repost
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10686726/can-you-gain-fat-while-in-ketosis#latest

Does that work? It is working for me.

If that still does not work if you go to the debate board, the title is "Can you gain fat while in ketosis"
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand what “run fat adapted” means I do a lot of running @Johna1969
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Johna1969 wrote: »

In addition to the water weight psuLemon mentions - extra blood volume, especially when dealing with summer heat. Couple pounds there very easy - especially noticeable when you sweat a great deal out even despite drinking.

And fat-adapted doesn't mean you stop burning carbs from muscle stores as the intensity goes up, merely means a very slight improvement on ratio not being as high with carbs at same intensity level, and not taking so long to switch to that ratio at the start.
    You'll still burn carbs even using the MAF method (which worked great for me years ago running, couldn't hack the slowness when biking) - therefore body will want to store more carbs. With little dietary intake, it's just getting it from converted protein. But it's still storing some with attached water, 1-2 lbs possible there depending on how much long distance you were doing prior.

How much running were you doing prior to switching to MAF method?