Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you gain fat while in ketosis?

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: RUNNING FAT ADAPTED.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    CogentHMS wrote: »
    I assure you if you manage your macros accordingly and keep max grams of carbs 50g or less you will not gain fat on keto.

Would you be able to provide links to peer reviewed research that shows that limiting carbs to this number prevents fat gain regardless of calories? There are a lot of science and research pros on these boards, and since what you are suggesting runs counter to common understanding of energy balance, it would be great if you could point us in the direction of any sort of proof that that is the case.

And if carb level determines fat storage, what does the body do with all the calories of energy that aren't needed but aren't being stored as fat?

I would hate to see OP led to believe something without some kind of science to back it up.

if carb level determined fat storage I would have never lost fat or weight and wouldnt continue to lose fat maintaining my weight(recomp)
  • CogentHMS
    CogentHMS Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Midwestern, just to be clear, I did not read such a comparison on this post. If you are referring to the comment on why type 1 diabetics cannot gain weight without adaquite therapy of exogenous insulin it was not a comparison of diagnosis just the state of being in a Ketoic state (production of low or no insulin) and cannot store fat and constantly burn it! If I did not make that clear I do apologize. I am completely aware of the dangers of DKA, But type 1 ‘s are in danger of this event surely but not actively always in it when monitored as mentioned Therefore, my comparison is when a type 1 is not in a state of acidosis... as they pretty much (as you should know being such a diabetic) ride that fine line of being in complete ketosis if insulin is not supplied by outside sources such as Injection and/or pumps. Thanks for posting
This discussion has been closed.