Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you gain fat while in ketosis?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/JpMbsz9T2vA

For those interested in the basics of fat metabolism, I'd recommend the above link. Suggesting that one needs insulin to gain fat is completely off base. There are multiple hormones that blunt lipolysis (fat burning). Hormone sensitive lipase is blunted by Acylation Stimulating Protein (ASP) and Glucose Dependant Insulintropic Peptide (GIP). Both ezymes are activated by dietary fst consumption. Lets also not forget that insulin is spiked by protein. So what this means is that no matter what you eat you are storing fat. But net energy balance is what determines if you gain, lose, or maintain your weight.

I think when people say that you need insulin to gain fat, they might be thinking of what happens to T1Ds lacking any insulin. They typically waste away.
    https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-before-and-after/

Insulin does play a role in fat storage and weight gain. It is not the only factor, and a calorie excess is needed, but it can play a role.

I think you might be projecting a bit. People, to include those in this thread, truly believe that insulin is the key to get fat and that it can't be achieved on a keto diet.

Even your N=1 post from that guy insinuates that crap.

I'd love to see a study done. Put somebody in a metabolic ward, feed them a strict ketogenic diet which puts them in a daily 1,000 calorie surplus for 3 months and record the weight/fat progress via scale and DEXA. No personal anecdotes, no unsubstantiated testimonies - pure scientific method. If all the keto klaims are true, the person should actually lose weight during that period.

But we know they won't, and we know *kitten* well why keto advocates would never do such a study. It would blow everything they believe/claim right out of the water.

I am actually thinking about running that experiment after i hit my goal. Since i have been counting for years and know my actual maintenance, i can set up an experiment fairly well.

Please post it if you do. The results would be interesting indeed.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    "gainzzz" not possible without insulin. Hate when people simplify something as good or bad. Same deal with cortisol...some "bad" is needed for your body to work properly
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/JpMbsz9T2vA

For those interested in the basics of fat metabolism, I'd recommend the above link. Suggesting that one needs insulin to gain fat is completely off base. There are multiple hormones that blunt lipolysis (fat burning). Hormone sensitive lipase is blunted by Acylation Stimulating Protein (ASP) and Glucose Dependant Insulintropic Peptide (GIP). Both ezymes are activated by dietary fst consumption. Lets also not forget that insulin is spiked by protein. So what this means is that no matter what you eat you are storing fat. But net energy balance is what determines if you gain, lose, or maintain your weight.

I think when people say that you need insulin to gain fat, they might be thinking of what happens to T1Ds lacking any insulin. They typically waste away.
    https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-before-and-after/

Insulin does play a role in fat storage and weight gain. It is not the only factor, and a calorie excess is needed, but it can play a role.

I think you might be projecting a bit. People, to include those in this thread, truly believe that insulin is the key to get fat and that it can't be achieved on a keto diet.

Even your N=1 post from that guy insinuates that crap.

I'd love to see a study done. Put somebody in a metabolic ward, feed them a strict ketogenic diet which puts them in a daily 1,000 calorie surplus for 3 months and record the weight/fat progress via scale and DEXA. No personal anecdotes, no unsubstantiated testimonies - pure scientific method. If all the keto klaims are true, the person should actually lose weight during that period.

But we know they won't, and we know *kitten* well why keto advocates would never do such a study. It would blow everything they believe/claim right out of the water.

I'd like to also, unlike with what Feltman did, stipulate that the caloric surplus have to come from pure unadulterated fat so TEF doesn't come into play. Something like coconut oil. Feltman was eating a lot of nuts, IIRC.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

Please remember to keep your posts respectful towards one another. Also, making fun of other posters currently here or not will not be tolerated. You don't "win" by belittling other users.

Thanks,
    4legs
    MFP moderator
This discussion has been closed.