This feeling every time I’m perfect...

Options
Every time I start and restart a fitness/healthful eating routine I go through a period where ‘THIS IS IT! I’m back on track! I’m motivated! All is right with the world!’ Then in a week or ten days I have a few slip ups and then a few more and very quickly I’m right back at the gluttony and I’ve forgotten all about goals and effort and motivation! So here I am restarting again and life is good. Logging. Tracking. Motivated. Encouraged. I can see me getting to goal weight! Lol. Hopefully I skip the self sabotage phase this time!

Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• itsmeagain2016
    itsmeagain2016 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So I’ve lost a ton of weight before. Got to goal weight. Biked a few centuries, ran a half marathon, climbed a few mountains. I was on top of the world. Had a few injuries. An illness. A trans ocean move. No one in my house was on my program. No one joined me on the biking. I was alone. So when the trouble started no one was there to help me see the signs and be a role model for how to handle the injury and lack of exercise. I could have used some friends or family who were helpful. Rather they seemed relieved I was sitting on the couch with them. Yassinback98 has a point. I’m not blaming anyone for my weight gain. But it helps when my hubs and friends are on the plan with me.
  • itsmeagain2016
    Options
    I used the word ‘perfect’ as a tongue in cheek barb at my mistake! Oops. You people took me too seriously! Lol
  • itsmeagain2016
    Options
    And as for the friend thing my very best friend is like a sister. We spend a ton of time together. We share a hobby. food is a big part of our friendship. Lunches and coffee and breakfast and weekends away! She is miserable with her weight but she doesn’t want to do anything about it. She says she doesn’t want to work that hard. She refuses. I’ve encouraged her and asked her to join me but she refuses. To help myself I will have to change the things I do with her and that will change the dynamic of our friendship and that makes me sad.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Progress not perfection...
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    We are human, that's means we are not perfect. No one is, anyone that claims they are is lying.

Motivation: fleeting at best. I've been on my journey for 3 years. There is no motivation that drags my butt out of bed at 5 in the morning to go run, that's called dedication.

Now, for spurts of motivation set two types of goals. One is weight, the other is activity. Keep a log of your activity and how you feel (everything from dedicated workouts to going up a few flights of stairs). Every month look back at where you were for activity, even if the scale isn't moving, there will be progress in what you are capable of doing.

Personally I like to set multiple small goals. Everything from lose 5lbs to finish 2 weeks of C25K to drop a pants size have been goals of mine. Every time a goal is reached, that's a success. Success breeds success, it becomes addictive to see how far you can get compared to where you started.
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's hard because life interferes. A parent dies, a job is lost, stress is abundant, but even joyful events like births and weddings can lead one off the path. I've been trying to lose weight for thirty years. At one time I lost 50 lbs after a doctor put me on Cambridge-a protein only shake. That pretty much screwed up my metabolism for life. Put that together with a 20+ year bout of thyroid issues that finally got diagnosed two years ago and ended with removing the toxic nodule that had replaced my thyroid and it's been a tough ride. I've done Weight Watchers, Lean Bodies, Atkins, Gluten Free, Sugar Busters and countless more programs and all that happened was the weight came back with a vengence. I just had a hysterectomy and most of the cause was my weight. At 62, I feel exhausted and defeated. I have come back to FP just to see if I can make any sort of headway. I'm taking it one day at a time. My surgeon says I can return to work teaching next week. I'm hoping to wake up early and walk before work and the heat of the day. I'm avoiding all carbs if possible. All I can say is this is not a destination, it's a journey.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Every time I start and restart a fitness/healthful eating routine I go through a period where ‘THIS IS IT! I’m back on track! I’m motivated! All is right with the world!’ Then in a week or ten days I have a few slip ups and then a few more and very quickly I’m right back at the gluttony and I’ve forgotten all about goals and effort and motivation! So here I am restarting again and life is good. Logging. Tracking. Motivated. Encouraged. I can see me getting to goal weight! Lol. Hopefully I skip the self sabotage phase this time!

I do it too. I've done it for the last couple years years. I lost down to my goal weight by 2016 and stayed for about 9 months then gained it all back that winter. I know I can do it but keep getting on track then off again then on then off. So I know your pain all too well. I "allow" life to get in the way.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    And as for the friend thing my very best friend is like a sister. We spend a ton of time together. We share a hobby. food is a big part of our friendship. Lunches and coffee and breakfast and weekends away! She is miserable with her weight but she doesn’t want to do anything about it. She says she doesn’t want to work that hard. She refuses. I’ve encouraged her and asked her to join me but she refuses. To help myself I will have to change the things I do with her and that will change the dynamic of our friendship and that makes me sad.

You may have to cut back on the lunch dates and time revolving around food if she isn't willing to do the same as you. You can get in to the right mindset to not eat like she eats but it may be hard. I have 3 kids and a husband that all eat the way they want so it does take a strong will to stick at it. But I always end up getting off track when I eat out. I get busy with the kids, errands about town and before I know it we gotta have lunch or dinner and I get it from take out. That's where I start to get off track usually. So that's the area I have to work hardest at is following how the others around me are eating.
  • jgdsf73
    jgdsf73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I had the same situation. Getting together with my friend always involved food. She wasn't interested in fitness or dieting. In less than two weeks of my start date she also started eating healthy. Now we are planning trips to the local track and purchasing bicycles. Hopefully your progress will encourage your friend as well. Good luck!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem. Lost weight, feeling good, then I must lose my mind, because something will happen and the next thing I know, I am right back where I was -well maybe further behind than I was before. Then I hate myself. This time, I think it will stick. My husband was diagnosed with diabetes so we are in this together - and my closest friend just had gastric sleeve surgery. Perhaps your sister will come around and be inspired by your success. I hope this is the last time you will have to lose weight again.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Yup.