Eggs every day?

Options
Hey guys and gals, I need some advice.

I grew up in the time where eggs were viewed as horrible for you, cholesterol heaven and anyone trying to be healthy shouldn't go near them, or if you do, not more than 2 per week.

Has this now changed? I see lots of people recommending eggs and eating them all the time, and if they're now seen as OK, then I'd love to have them at breakfast more often than 2 eggs a week! Moderation, of course...

Replies

• millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I love eggs...

My opinion... If you have high cholesterol then you should watch the egg yolk intake.

I usually make my eggs with two whole eggs and two egg whites... :)
  • Thurine
    Thurine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a hard boiled egg every morning for breakfast. It is good protein and fast on my way out the door. I usually have some cooked in the fridge that I can peel and go. If you don't have high cholesterol then I think they are fine for you.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has no effect on your blood serum cholesterol. Eat as many whole eggs as you want as long as it fits within your daily calorie intake.
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think its the yolks that are the problem. Dont quote me on it though. I usually do 1 full egg and 2 egg whites with mixed veggies.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs. I think unless you have high cholesterol it doesn't matter much. The yolks have healthy fats. If you have issues with cholesterol your doc will likely tell you to watch your egg consumption.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I eat egg whites every day. It's the yolk that has the crappy stuff, but ironically also a lot of good stuff. I try to mix one whole egg with 3 or 4 whites every morning for breakfast.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 full eggs most days. Keeps me full much longer than cereal and keeps my protein and carbs where I want them to be. Pretty sure all the "eggs are bad" stuff has been disproven. Cholesterol and even saturated fat are no longer eveil.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites every day. It's the yolk that has the crappy stuff, but ironically also a lot of good stuff. I try to mix one whole egg with 3 or 4 whites every morning for breakfast.

There is nothing wrong with the yolks.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has no effect on your blood serum cholesterol. Eat as many whole eggs as you want as long as it fits within your daily calorie intake.

Yeap!
  • digitalsinner
    Options
    Mmmm...liquid chickens! I'm trying to eat some every day myself.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Eggs are awesome and the yolks have some nutrients that help protect against age related macular degeneration -- one of the number one causes of loss of independence in older folks. Some even speculate that the dramitic increase in ARMD is directly related to the dramatic decrease in egg consumption.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat them. We have chickens, so I eat them a lot. Great source of protein and other good stuff.
  • trouserchili
    Options

This. Dietary cholesterol is NOT the boogeyman it's been made out to be. Enjoy them as often as you'd like.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...liquid chickens! I'm trying to eat some every day myself.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I am totally stealing "liquid chickens" and making it a part of my everyday vocabulary... thanks for the laugh!!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I eat two whole eggs a day for sure, on running days I eat three. My cholesterol, LDL and HDL, are both great. YUMMY!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    All the anti-cholesterol rants did was rob people of a cheap source of good protein. Eggs won't boost your serum cholesterol.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You'll find people on both sides of this issue. Most nutritionist I've talked to say that the fats in eggs is natural and important to your body. The fats are actually viewed as a great way to lose weight. I eat them almost every day and my cholesterol levels are extremely healthy.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg everyday for breakfast... sunnyside up, with bread to dip in the yolk and it is absolutely delish.

Don't fear the egg.. they are really good for you!
  • Bashsmom
    Options
    I'm glad someone asked this question. I've been eating an egg for breakfast at least three times a week for the last six months. It fills me up and jump starts my protien intake for the day. Thanks for the info everyone!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It turns out that eggs are okay unless you have high sholesterol, sodium is fine unless you have high blood pressure, and it really doesn't matter that much if you get your fat from butter, lard or rapeseed oil as long as you don't eat too much of it. However, refined flour is still out... for now.