Is it okay to be proud about your progress when you haven't hit goal yet?

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I've lost almost 35lbs today since the start of April. I checked the BMI chart this morning, and not only am out of class 2 obesity, I'm at the low end of class 1. Being "overweight" only is just 10.2lbs away! :smile:

I feel happy and pleased but I feel embarrassed also. I am still large, still obese, still unhealthy. I wonder if maybe I am seeing something better than reality when I look in the mirror, because I compare myself to my biggest.

I bought some new clothes that fit (on sale) and I feel like yes, I needed basics, but getting more "fun" items like cute tops and dresses was frivolous.

Maybe I should wait for those 10.2lbs before celebrating. Getting out of obesity was my first goal, and my final goal is being in the normal range. But at the same time, wearing pants that were tight this time last year that are loose, especially in the upper thighs, I want to point it out and do a little happy dance!

But I also don't know when that's appropriate to do. No one except my SO and my parents have commented on or noticed my weight loss. I don't want to say "HEY I LOST WEIGHT COMPLIMENT ME". And pointing out things like the pants thing (I totally did that yesterday, and felt a little obnoxious) to my SO feels braggy. Especially as he's lost weight before but work stress has not been kind to his maintenance. (He says it's fine, but I also don't want to be unkind ya know?)

I haven't lost much weight before (maybe 10-15lbs and gained it all back and then some) so this is very exciting for me. I remember in April thinking something like this wasn't possible. And it seems like such a short time, and I see/feel the differences. Idk. I just feel really conflicted about whether it's okay to be happy or if that's really a dangerous thing to celebrate too soon. It could always come crashing right back down on me.

Replies

• EliteCoachKal
    EliteCoachKal Posts: 35 Member
    Absolutely!! Know where you want to go, but never forget to celebrate how far you've come! Great work so far, keep it up. People will start to notice before long!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Celebrate for sure! You have come so far. Others may not understand unless they have been there themselves. But I get it. Once I started to buy regular sized clothes (not plus size) you would have thought I won the lottery. Be proud.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    YES!!! You are awesome and should celebrate! You've done amazing work. Congratulations.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Hell, yeah.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Heck yeah! Be proud of your accomplishment, you’ve done great! There are no “rules” or “appropriate time” about treating yourself to some new clothes. I’m not at my goal range yet and I’ve bought a few things that fit nicely right now.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Absolutely. I intend to celebrate every 10 pounds.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Be loud, be proud. 35 pounds down is a great reason for new, fun clothes.
  • ChelleTrell
    ChelleTrell Posts: 49 Member
    Celebrate! You already hit your first goal and you should be very happy about that.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Celebrate life all day every day! Celebrate all the good things in life all the time! Celebrate your weight loss now!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Respect yourself. Wherever you are in the process, respect yourself.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    *kitten* yeah celebrate! You're sweet to worry about hurting your SO's feelings since he's been struggling a bit, but I'll bet he's happy and excited for you.

FWIW Nobody outside my husband and one other person has commented directly on my loss (40 pounds, from obese to normal BMI) but I've started getting other compliments such as 'You look very nice today!' I think people are just hesitant to say anything directly for fear of it being taken the wrong way (and judging from some of the threads I see here, rightfully so).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Most definitely!
    Celebrate every step of the way and be proud of what you are accomplishing!
    Congratulations!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    It is definitely ok to be happy about a 35 lb weight loss. I am over heat unashamedly happy about a 4 pound weight loss 😉Unless money is of no consequence, I would wait to re-do my wardrobe until I hit goal weight or closer to it. In the mean time you still have to wear clothes... I try to buy items that will still fit if I lose 10 lbs. Stretchy tops, casual dresses that you can toss a belt around when it is too big, workout gear and shoes are all items that fit for a bit longer when losing weight. Hope that helps!
  • elainemariebenes
    elainemariebenes Posts: 16 Member
    YESSS! Be proud and celebrate every day. This can be a long tough journey, sometimes mentally exhausting, so enjoy the victories. It’ll keep you going. Congrats!!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Yes, for sure! I was proud of all of the NSV's and every inch and pound that I lost when I was losing weight. It was great to see my hard work was paying off!

Congrats on your progress!
  • ryanidk
    ryanidk Posts: 6 Member
    I understand 100% of what you mean. I've still got a good amount of weight to go, and even from there it'll be a body recomposition journey to get where I ultimately want to be. It feels like I don't really have anything to be proud of when there's still so far to go.

But you gotta keep reminding yourself of how far you've come. 35lbs is not a small amount at all. You've worked hard to get to this point. And if you can lose 35lbs, you can lose any amount of weight. You've already proven that you can do it, now it's just a matter of time (and sticking to it!) before you're at your goal weight.

Good luck!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Don't hint to people just yet to say something.....when you least expect it.....they will start studying you and then say.....you look different....have you lost weight?
    Just wait and keep at it...they will notice :)
  • GreatNeckVBMom
    GreatNeckVBMom Posts: 20 Member
    Of course you should celebrate! You’ve earned it. I went from Fat to Chubby and I’m thrilled. No one has noticed, but me. We are our worst critics so we should be our biggest cheerleaders too. I’m on my way from Chubby to Normal. But it will take months so I too am celebrating every three pounds or so.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    ryanidk wrote: »
    I understand 100% of what you mean. I've still got a good amount of weight to go, and even from there it'll be a body recomposition journey to get where I ultimately want to be. It feels like I don't really have anything to be proud of when there's still so far to go.

But you gotta keep reminding yourself of how far you've come. 35lbs is not a small amount at all. You've worked hard to get to this point. And if you can lose 35lbs, you can lose any amount of weight. You've already proven that you can do it, now it's just a matter of time (and sticking to it!) before you're at your goal weight.

Good luck!

❤️ thank you! I hope that’s right, it honestly feels like it could go away at any moment, I could be back where I was.