Adding more protein to breakfast

Options
I am looking to add more protein to my breakfast so I can stay fuller longer, bcause of my busy work schedule I dont always get to eat a snack and by lunch I am usually very HANGRY. I usually have 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk yogurt with a chopped banana and 2 tbs of almond butter. It has a good amount of fat and it is my main source of fat throughout the day. Please let me know of any ideas!

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Switch to no Greek yogurt. Egg white muffins can be preped and stored. Add veggies and turkey bacon. PB2 or any powdered peanut butter instead of reg almond butter. Less fat, but more fiber and protein for the cals.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    two boiled eggs and one cup of milk
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I struggle with protein at breakfast too. Sometimes I resort to a slice of cheese on whole wheat toast.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Coconut yogurt is it because you are vegetarian or just a preference?

If not, try switching for greek yogurt. You can also make overnight oatmeal with any type of yogurt for more protein and fiber (in a sealed container, mix equal part of oats, milk and yogurt - i use almond milk and greek yogurt - and whatever add in float your boat. Nut butter and banana is great, apple maple and cinnamon taste like a pie, frozen berry and maple or honey is also a favorite) The mix of yogurt and oats is a good way to get protein. Depending on the add in, you can easily get to 10 to 20 g protein for 350 to 450 cal.

I love making grilled cheese, with quality slice cheese and multigrain bread. No need for butter, it gets crispy and golden without. 2 slices of quality bread and cheese will amount to about 300 cal and 12-14g protein.

Good luck
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I second the Greek Yogurt. I buy Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt and you can get 12 g of Protein in one cup and the sugar is typically only 7 g. I also will have Eggbeaters some morning making scrambled eggs or an omelet adding leftover grilled chicken (more protein) and a little cheese.
  • Fitnurse2526
    Fitnurse2526 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, I’m not vegan or anything but I am trying to limit dairy because I feel bloated after eating it but thank you all for your great tips!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    eggs - steel cut oatmeal with protein powder - The greek yogurt is good
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - delicious!
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Smoked salmon, tuna, hard boiled or scrambled eggs, cheese + veggies! Whenever I eat carb heavy foods for breakfast I'm very hungry 1-2 hours later, so I try to save those carbs for my other meals...
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Quick and easy - porridge cooked with milk and an egg in it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I premake and freeze breakfast burritos. Take one out the day before to thaw in the fridge and nuke for a minute at work. They are about 300kcal depending on the fillings. The ones I currently have are eggs, potato, bell pepper, onion, hot sauce, and cheese. I will be making some next week that are eggs, black beans, cheese, spinach, and hot sauce. I also plan to do egg, roasted vegetables, cheese, and hot sauce. Really, the options are endless!

On days I don't eat those (I alternate so I don't get bored), I have a Chobani Greek Yogurt and a handful of almonds. Yes, I get the ones that are sweetened with fruit or honey but then again I don't have an irrational fear of sugar.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Y’all are all sooooo good. I vote for bacon. Or sausage. Or ham. I know it’s ok too because I’ve currently lost almost 60 pounds. The above options are maybe more nutritious - but did I mention bacon????
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Do you like cottage cheese at all? The protein in that tends to satiate me in the morning. I buy the no salt added variety (can't stand the regular salty stuff, but you might have a different opinion on that), add a little no calorie vanilla sweetener, then dump in my fruit of choice. Taste like a chunkier rice pudding ;)

Eggs are also great. Try it poached in the microwave, then top on a toasted English muffin. Mm, might do that tomorrow!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, I’m not vegan or anything but I am trying to limit dairy because I feel bloated after eating it but thank you all for your great tips!

Yogurt usually doesn't cause dairy issues because the bacteria that make it cultured also eat the sugars that we have trouble digesting.

I have resorted to making a protein shake with my cereal. If I liked milk with my cereal I'd just use that for the milk, but I don't. This lets me eat my cereal and get my protein too. I don't like eggs, unfortunately.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    So... I don't eat breakfast because I am rarely hungry in the morning, plus, i find that holding out the hunger for a little bit, keeps my brain working at a higher pace.

Also, the idea that one type of food keeps you full more than the other is, and forgive the strong language here, Malarkey.
    Within 5 minutes you can find "studies" to support Fat, Protein and a lot of hate of carbs, unless they're the right carbs, then Carbs are good. Truth is, you can drink a cup of olive oil (Generally called a "good fat"), pump 2k calories into your body, and be hungry again as soon as the initial urge to vomit passes.

What curbs hunger is "filling the lines of your stomach". receptors in your stomach tell your brain that you're full.

If I were to eat breakfast, I would value using calories in a smarter way.

- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk yogurt = about 220kcal
    - 1 chopped banana = about 90 to 150kcal depending on size
    - 2 tbs of almond butter = about 200kcal

Looking at your meal, 420 of those calories are bound to pass through your system quickly since they as of paste like consistency.

Now, if you substitute the yogurt and the almond butter for something like oats and strawberries, not only you're increasing your quantity, which will fill up your stomach, you're also increasing your protein intake and most importantly, your fiber, which slows down the absorption of sugar and helps you take those clearing, forgive the crude words again, POOPs.

- 100 Grams of rolled oats - about 380 kcal
    - 1 chopped banana = about 90 to 150kcal depending on size
    - 200 Grams of Strawberries - about 66 kcal

Same amount of calories, more protein, less fat, good amount of the good carbs.
    And Fiber... Lots of Fiber.

Hope this helps.

Yes fiber fills up. I eat higher bulk, high pro, lower fat, but that does not work for everyone. Protein is very satiating for me.some fat will help slow gastric emptying.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with protein sometimes too and I'm not a protein powder person. For breakfast I like:
    - Greek coconut yogurt with a bit of PB and some fruit
    - hard boiled egg whites (and one whole egg) with turkey roll ups, a mini bagel with cream cheese, and prunes... I really like prunes but any fruit will do
    - oatmeal with an egg mixed in, some cherries and pecans
    - 2 scrambled eggs with sauteed spinach and fruit, sometimes will add extra egg whites
    - ham and egg cups (use a slice of ham in a muffin tin, add scrambled egg w/ veggies and bake) with fruit
    - mini bagel or english muffin with a triangle of laughing cow swiss smeared on it, an over easy egg and bacon or ham, fruit on the side
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am looking to add more protein to my breakfast so I can stay fuller longer, bcause of my busy work schedule I dont always get to eat a snack and by lunch I am usually very HANGRY. I usually have 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk yogurt with a chopped banana and 2 tbs of almond butter. It has a good amount of fat and it is my main source of fat throughout the day. Please let me know of any ideas!

I add protein powder to my yogurt. Or egg whites on the side would taste nice with salt or Cinnamon for a low calorie add. Are you lactose intolerant? You could always try Greek yogurt.

I would avoid the banana. Honestly as healthy as it is, it causes a blood sugar spike and probably makes you more hungry. Replace it with something like a bell pepper (I eat one every day with breakfast)
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Lots of different types of Yogurt to try out there. I have been going with Dannon Triple Zero lately 15 grams of protein, fat is low, sugars not bad. Calories I think 110 for almost all flavors. Another one is eggs any way you like them. Bacon, regular, Turkey, Canadian. We precook them all, so on day of just pop in microwave to heat up. I know Oatmeal is much talked about for those that like it. Me meh, but if you like it tons you can do with it. Lots of good protein drinks and shakes out there. I have been using a fruit protein drink for some time, instead of always doing the shakes or smoothies. Good Luck.