Increasing activity at a desk job

Options
Has anyone used a mini trainer under their desk successfully- thinking of getting one for work but not sure how worth it it is....u7h7kga7rwwd.png

Replies

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Those are pretty cool. I also like the standing desks and the treadmill desks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A couple of people in my office had under desk peddling things like that. One loved it, one hated it. The one who loved it is fairly short (under 5') and the one who hated it is 5'7". The latter person's displeasure came from constantly hitting her knees on the underside of her desk while peddling. So that's something to be aware of (desk height, machine height, etc.)
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have one but because my job is very focused on the desk height being at the level of your arm rest, I found there is not a lot of room and hit my knees on the underside of my desk. My job gave me a Varidesk (sit/stand desk), and I love it! I walk in place for most of the day and get upwards of 6,000-10,000 steps while working.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have one but because my job is very focused on the desk height being at the level of your arm rest, I found there is not a lot of room and hit my knees on the underside of my desk. My job gave me a Varidesk (sit/stand desk), and I love it! I walk in place for most of the day and get upwards of 6,000-10,000 steps while working.

Do you use a fitbit to measure your steps. I just received a standup desk and am wanting to up my steps.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,915 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs in your building?

I walk as part of my commute to and from work, walk at lunch, and try to do stairs as often as I can.
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I get up every hour (saw something online about this is good for heart health) and move around a little. I also spend my lunch hour walking the halls. It’s too hot to go outside, and wasps. :neutral:
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    cnave99 wrote: »
    I get up every hour (saw something online about this is good for heart health) and move around a little. I also spend my lunch hour walking the halls. It’s too hot to go outside, and wasps. :neutral:

Wasps are awful. No blame here.
  • mheen710
    mheen710 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I spend my breaks and 20 mins of my lunch walking. I hit 10,000 daily just by doing that and normal activities.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    kardsharp wrote: »
    Do you use a fitbit to measure your steps. I just received a standup desk and am wanting to up my steps.
    I do! I have a FitBit Versa (recently upgraded from a FitBit Charge HR2). I love it! I can add music to it so on those rare occasions I don't have to be on the phone I can just put in my bluetooth headset and walk to music while I work :)
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    kardsharp wrote: »
    I do! I have a FitBit Versa (recently upgraded from a FitBit Charge HR2). I love it! I can add music to it so on those rare occasions I don't have to be on the phone I can just put in my bluetooth headset and walk to music while I work :)

My versa also prompts me when I have not gotten steps every hour, so if this goes off I take a trip to the bathroom, get some water and take a lap around my office. I am getting around 10k steps on non work out days and about 16k on workout days, so I think it is working!