Confused about walking

Options
Ok I can't see where I am going wrong here, I am 76kg and I want to walk to burn off around 300 calories per walk. I keep reading that people have walked for 1 hour, similar weight to mine and burnt off 300 calories, but I have walked double that and the MapMyRun app tells me I have just passed 300 calories.

I recently covered over 8 miles yet still just passed 300 calories. How are people walking half that? My speed wasn't that bad either I don' think uxfrk34fo2p4.png
6fk1mya6ymsd.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350891527
    Check out this link for a decent estimate. Walking is great for mind, spirit and body!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    What does MFP give you for calorie burn? I use their numbers for running and walking and it seems to work for me. I think the calculation is .3 x weight x distance in miles for walking and .7 x weight x distance for running. There is some difference for faster paces, but I think it is pretty small.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Are you sure you didn’t put 76 lbs into the app? The wrong units could explain a lot.

I think the formula given require weight in lbs too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At your weight you would be burning approx 47 additional (net) calories for every mile walked assuming reasonably level terrain. (.3 x wight in lbs x distance in miles) which would be approx 377 cal for an 8 mile walk.

May apps and HRMs will use gross calories over estimating calories expended (ie including BMR)

• Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Couple things:
    1. App is way off, probably an incorrect data point somewhere.
    2. Distance and weight is what you need to focus on, not time or speed. They do make a difference, but moreso for a cal/min reason as opposed to total cals (it does still matter, but not nearly as much as your weight and distance)
    3. Using mapmyrun's own website a 170 lb (roughly 76kg) person (I used a male 6ft 34yrs old) would burn 827 calories in an 8mi walk at your pace.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    What does MFP give you for calorie burn? I use their numbers for running and walking and it seems to work for me. I think the calculation is .3 x weight x distance in miles for walking and .7 x weight x distance for running. There is some difference for faster paces, but I think it is pretty small.

That formula definitely is quite off for me based on myfitnesspal. I would be undereating by 100 calories or so. It also might depend on what speed you are inputting. I measure my time and distance so I know if I am going at 3mph for walking and 9 min per mile for running.

A 3mph walk, covering 4.5 miles gives me 290 calorie burn for female 27yr old and ~130 lbs. I been using the myfitnesspal entry for walking since I started over a year ago and I've lost weight and now in maintenance so its estimate has been working for me. The ground isn't flat there is definitely at least one good hill.

I do long walks on weekends so if myfitnesspal is overestimating I am usually moving around cleaning and tiding and cooking but I don't think those activities would add that much.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    At your weight you would be burning approx 47 additional (net) calories for every mile walked assuming reasonably level terrain. (.3 x wight in lbs x distance in miles) which would be approx 377 cal for an 8 mile walk.

May apps and HRMs will use gross calories over estimating calories expended (ie including BMR)

This. The formula above is way lower than most other sources, but it's correct in that it provides only the incremental calories burned by the activity. Most other sources will provide the total calorie burn over the time period, including those calories that you would have burned without doing any sort of activity.