Plateau

Options
For the past few weeks I haven’t been able to drop weight, but am yo-yoing between the same 3lbs in my last 10lbs to lose. I’ve tried modifying my diet and workout regimen but nothing has helped. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You're eating at maintenance for your new lower weight. Tighten up your logging.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the body needs time to adjust after dropping weight. It isn't that you are doing something wrong..it is just that the human body is a complicated machine. Stick with your new good habits...the weight will come off in time, it just stands to reason. We are conditioned to think we're stuck forever..you are not. Also.. I found I was still shrinking when my scale didn't move.. That is what matters..and you'll hear many people say the scale is a good tool..but not the only tool.. measuring yourself.. or monitoring tight clothing becoming more loose are useful tools as well.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the body needs time to adjust after dropping weight. It isn't that you are doing something wrong..it is just that the human body is a complicated machine. Stick with your new good habits...the weight will come off in time, it just stands to reason. We are conditioned to think we're stuck forever..you are not. Also.. I found I was still shrinking when my scale didn't move.. That is what matters..and you'll hear many people say the scale is a good tool..but not the only tool.. measuring yourself.. or monitoring tight clothing becoming more loose are useful tools as well.
    This. I lost every week for the first 30 pounds, but now that I’m down to the last 10-15 or so I will stall for a couple weeks at a time and then drop 1-2 pounds in a matter of a few days. Then it starts again. During these “stalls”, I lose inches and/or see my body changing in subtle ways. If you’re in a deficit, things are happening. Trust the process:)

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    YBalette wrote: »
    For the past few weeks I haven’t been able to drop weight, but am yo-yoing between the same 3lbs in my last 10lbs to lose. I’ve tried modifying my diet and workout regimen but nothing has helped. Anyone have any suggestions?

With only 10 lbs to lose, you should be expecting to lose @ 0.5lbs per week. That small loss can very easily hide behind water weight fluctuations, so you have to be extra patient. For my last 10, I only saw a verifiable loss about once a month, by 1 or 2 lbs.

In the meantime, tighten up your logging just in case you are missing some calories which are slowing you down even more. Good luck!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with all above. Went thru a few weeks of no loss and then BAM?!
    Do not allow a plateau to derail you...keep moving ahead and when you least expect it.... :D
  • YBalette
    YBalette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. I have indeed noticed subtle changes/toning, just no loss on the scale.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    YBalette wrote: »
    Thank you all for the encouragement. I have indeed noticed subtle changes/toning, just no loss on the scale.

I've been the same weight for 2 months now... the scales will move eventually!
  • julie_bee_123
    julie_bee_123 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get discouraged every single month, because I always have a mini plateau where I lose nothing and sometimes "gain" 2-3 pounds for about 2 weeks. This just happened to me, and I wanted to give up, but I didn't. Three days ago I "lost" the extra 2-3 pounds and now I've lost an additional 2.5 pounds in two days. Weight loss is so weird.
  • Amandachanges
    Amandachanges Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more to lose than you, but a few weeks ago someone on here mentioned ‘calorie cycling’ and even included a link. I believe it’s what is helping me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I get discouraged every single month, because I always have a mini plateau where I lose nothing and sometimes "gain" 2-3 pounds for about 2 weeks. This just happened to me, and I wanted to give up, but I didn't. Three days ago I "lost" the extra 2-3 pounds and now I've lost an additional 2.5 pounds in two days. Weight loss is so weird.

Is this lined up with your menstrual cycle? If so, it's normal.