Reporting child abuse?

Options
2»

Replies

• kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    please have no doubts in what you ARE doing. i have had to report family members and yeah, it was scary, BUT a small child is helpless, and what you saw was wrong and you felt it in your heart. someone has to stand up for that child and YOU did! do NOT be afraid, feel proud of what you DID!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good sign that the officer asked you a lot of questions, also. He won't tell her who reported it, he's merely making sure your claim is valid and maybe testing your motives. It'd be bad if he simply jumped in without making sure of all the circumstances first.
  • lamykins
    Options
    the word POLICE rings to my mind
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    soupnazi is as usual, 100% correct. call the police. **** CPS. they do nothing. I reported a woman I know who had hit her kid inthe head with a bamboo shoehorn until his scalp split open and bled and it left a scar- CPS interviewed, the kid verified that his mother dit it to him, and they told her basically - don't do this again. left him there in the house with her.

I'm sorry I usually don't swear, but CPS is useless.

Call the police, report what you saw.

NOW<
    !

Thanks girl! You always have my back.:heart:

The officer was merely taking your information for his/her incident report. You did the right thing. As far as the make/model/color of the car, it will all turn up once the tags are run....unless the car or its tags are stolen.

You did what you needed to do and now it is out of your hands.

Good job.:flowerforyou:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Wow. That's so sad. Kudos to you for doing the right thing. Hopefully something is done about it. I highly doubt the cops will say anything to her about who reported it. She might figure out that it was someone in your complex just because of the location where it happened... but the cops are usually pretty good at keeping you anonymous.
  • csantos1182
    Options
    I don't even know if you can report this kind of thing, but I just saw a woman in my apartment building's parking lot beat the crap out of her little boy. He was on the ground crying and she was literally kicking him and screaming. :mad:

I wrote down her car's plate but I don't know her name, just that her kid stays with the woman who lives on our first floor during the day.

Is it even possible for me to call someone about this? I don't feel right just sitting here doing nothing...

EDIT: I called the police and they said they will look into it.

definately report that woman. some one should give her a good a** kicking.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Keep us updated, although you might not ever hear anything back about this (as far as what they do to help the kid.)

You did the right thing. I am VERY proud of you!! :flowerforyou:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Is this person that provides care for the little boy a licensed daycare provider? If not, she is doing so illegally and should be reported as well. Especially since she is associating herself with sex offenders!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I called the police department and the man who took down the info asked me a TON of information about myself, too. I'm paranoid he's going to tell this woman that I made the call about it.

Are they even allowed to tell people who called? I'm glad they're looking into it but I don't want this kind of person knowing anything about me.

They are required to get your information for a few reasons. They want to be sure it's a legitimate complaint (yes, people try to start problems just for the heck of it when they get mad at each other) and also - if it comes down to going to court to remove the child from the home, you are a witness.

I am not sure what information they will give her upon the initial investigation about you, if any.
  • Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    They are required to get your information for a few reasons. They want to be sure it's a legitimate complaint (yes, people try to start problems just for the heck of it when they get mad at each other) and also - if it comes down to going to court, you are a witness.

Aaaah okay. That makes sense. I have no problem at all being a witness or anything like that. I'm just kind of afraid of the girl downstairs' boyfriend and his creepy friends. Knowing they won't find out I made the complaint unless something goes to court is good to know.

Either way, honestly, if it happens again I will no doubt be right back on the phone with the police!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    That is exactly the right thing to do!!! You should go right away and call 911 if you ever see it happen again... If it's something that isn't dangerous or life threatening, people can use this in the wrong way-like some neighbor making too much noise in the middle of the night. But if you see someone physically harming someone else, especially a child, make the phone call right away!!! Don't ever feel bad about calling something like this in... If anyone was doing something like this to one of my children, I would hope there was someone like you to pick up the phone...:flowerforyou:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    So sad.
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    where do you live? Definitly. No child deserves to be treated that way:cry::brokenheart: report it to social services it probally isn't the first time they've been called:angry:
  • Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    where do you live? Definitly. No child deserves to be treated that way:cry::brokenheart: report it to social services it probally isn't the first time they've been called:angry:

I live in Massachusetts. I was literally in shock when I looked out my window (I heard the screaming before I saw anything) and saw what was happening. There were tons of adults and other children outside as well RIGHT NEXT TO where this woman was abusing her child, and no one did anything. A few of them LAUGHED. It was disgusting.
  • Heather125
    Options
    I called the police department and the man who took down the info asked me a TON of information about myself, too. I'm paranoid he's going to tell this woman that I made the call about it.

Are they even allowed to tell people who called? I'm glad they're looking into it but I don't want this kind of person knowing anything about me.

No I know for a fact that they are not allowed to say anything to the person involved don't worry
  • Heather125
    Options

I live in Massachusetts. I was literally in shock when I looked out my window (I heard the screaming before I saw anything) and saw what was happening. There were tons of adults and other children outside as well RIGHT NEXT TO where this woman was abusing her child, and no one did anything. A few of them LAUGHED. It was disgusting.

Disgusting is putting it mildly to have anyone think that that was acceptable behavior is awful thank goodness there are people like you out there that have some common sense. thank you for doing the right thing
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    It's anonymous. I reported my neighbor a few years ago. She had 2 young boys, like and , and she never watched them. They would ride their bikes on the main hwy by our house. I'm surprised they were never hit. The children were eventually removed from the home. My info was never revealed.
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't even know if you can report this kind of thing, but I just saw a woman in my apartment building's parking lot beat the crap out of her little boy. He was on the ground crying and she was literally kicking him and screaming. :mad:

I wrote down her car's plate but I don't know her name, just that her kid stays with the woman who lives on our first floor during the day.

Is it even possible for me to call someone about this? I don't feel right just sitting here doing nothing...

EDIT: I called the police and they said they will look into it.

OMG YES!!!!!! Report this...You may save this childs life..This really makes me angry that some parents think thier childern are a punching bad please ..let me see someone hit a child n I will be calling 911 and CPS...Call the cops n tell them what you seen n you have her plate number n keep your eyes open for this lil boy...