P90X calorie intake vs MFP

Options
Hello everyone!

Yesterday I started the lean version of P90X according to their nutrition plan I should follow their level 1 plan which requires me to eat 1800 cals/day, where as when I put my info on MFP selecting active I get 1200 cals a day. This is a huge difference and I'm not exactly sure which one to follow. To be honest I'm afraid to eat 1800 cals a day and gain weight :S. Some advice would be greatly appreciate it, and if it helps I am 5'3" and 142lbs.

Thanks!

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You should follow P90X if you're doing the program. P90X is a pretty extreme exercise program so you'll be burning a lot of calories with little recovery, so you need to feed your body for the workout, else you'll be too weak.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did P90X and used MFP to count and regulate my intake. IMO there are two factors to consider, is your P90X program for cutting fat or increasing mass? P90x's diet program guestimates that you're going to be spending ~600 calories daily through exercise. So their recommended intake includes that 600 (just like exercise cals on MFP).

You can go either way (MFP or P90x) it's the same concept. Track your expenditure and your intake, It's not as important to stick to the P90X diet in terms of meals as much as it is to regiment your macronutrient percentages. Eat clean natural foods and follow the p90x phase plan for macronutrients. One of the nice things about the P90x phases is that it runs the gambit in terms of deficit versus gains... you spend the first 30 focusing on low carb high protein trying to boost metabolism and shred fat. next 30 in maintenance and final 30 is an athletic performance diet.

Long story short MFP is a great tool for regulating your P90x diet, it's why I cam to MFP.
  • WhyWait
    WhyWait Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi!

I did a round of P90X and I followed a 1600 calorie diet. I personally found that 1800 was a little to much for me to lose the weight. I got really great results! I just made sure to eat 5x a day, protein at all meals, and limited carbs. I have other tips too, but if you want them message me.

Here are my before/after pics.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245042492196838.72423.103572676343821

You can do it! Stick to it! It's not as difficult as you think!
    Use MFP to track what you eat all day.

Heather
  • WhyWait
    WhyWait Posts: 58
    Options
    oh, I am mid 30's, weighed about 145 when I started and am 5'7, started at a size 12. If that helps.
  • akork
    akork Posts: 31
    Options
    You definately won't gain weight doing P90x lean and eating 1800 calories a day. Will you lose weight as fast as if you ate 1200 calories a day? Well no, you wouldn't...however consider that at 1200 calories a day trying to exercise as hard as that you will probably end up burning yourself out become lethargic and quit the routinue. Best to eat more, keep the energy up and lose the weight slolwly while maintaining good habits long term.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Yesterday I started the lean version of P90X according to their nutrition plan I should follow their level 1 plan which requires me to eat 1800 cals/day, where as when I put my info on MFP selecting active I get 1200 cals a day. This is a huge difference and I'm not exactly sure which one to follow. To be honest I'm afraid to eat 1800 cals a day and gain weight :S. Some advice would be greatly appreciate it, and if it helps I am 5'3" and 142lbs.

Thanks!

I cannot speak for P90x but remember that MFP recommends calorie intake with a deficit that does NOT consider exercise/workouts. Which is why, though highly debated, you are expected to eat your calories back. If, as stated here, you burn approximately 600 cals per P90x workout that would mean their recommended cals 1800 minus the 600 you burn = 1200. Which is exactly what MFP is telling you to have. So in essence, they are the same. In MFP, your day would start out with 1200, you would do a p90x video and burn 600 and your mfp will say 1800 as what you can now have.

It is all a matter of how you calc the numbers but to me MFP and P90x are saying the same thing. (unless of course p90x tells you to eat back cals which I don’t remember them doing). It's just a matter of which way is easier for you to track.
  • luwangming2001
    Options
    Thanks, what is P90X and MFP again? sorry I am new to the forum...

Like many people, I am eager to get the weight down, but do not know how much net calories I can take in everyday? Right now, I am using 1200, but thinking that could be too low.