Odd question about this recipe and bacon?

Options
I found an awesome recipe from skinnytaste.com for collard greens. My question is...when logging this recipe...are the calories for the bacon fat already included in the piece of bacon that I make? For instance say the bacon was 25 calories and produced 1/2tsp of fat....is it 25 calories OVERALL or is it 25 calories + the calories for the fat?

I want to log this correctly, and I assume the calories for the fat are already included with the bacon....input please?

Sauteed Collard Greens with Bacon
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pts
Calories: 72.9 • Fat: 4.5 g • Protein: 3.1 g • Carb: 6.8 g • Fiber: 2.4 g

1 tbsp olive oil
1 slice bacon, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch collard greens, washed and dried
salt

Remove the tough stems that run down the center of the leaf. Then stack a few leaves, roll and slice into thin strips.

In a large saute pan, heat bacon on low heat. When bacon fat melts, add oil and garlic, saute until golden, about a minute. Add chopped collards to the pan, season with salt and cover.

Simmer covered until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Replies

• fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You just count for the calories in the slice of bacon... The calories for fat are there whether you cook it or not. It doesn't produce fat, just renders it out.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The way I read the recipe, yes, the bacon fat is already accounted for because they are telling you to cook the bacon and add the rest of the ingredients... :flowerforyou:

P.S. - Personally, I wouldn't add the olive oil...The one piece of bacon should be enough fat for everything, considering that the collard greens are going to shrink as you cook them...Just my opinion....
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The way I read the recipe, yes, the bacon fat is already accounted for because they are telling you to cook the bacon and add the rest of the ingredients... :flowerforyou:

P.S. - Personally, I wouldn't add the olive oil...The one piece of bacon should be enough fat for everything, considering that the collard greens are going to shrink as you cook them...Just my opinion....

You read my mind! I think the olive oil would be way too much oil lol
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You just count for the calories in the slice of bacon... The calories for fat are there whether you cook it or not. It doesn't produce fat, just renders it out.

Thank you :) that's what I was thinking as well but I wasn't sure.