Nutritionist/Dietician

Options
What’s the difference in a dietician and a nutritionist? And has anyone here ever used one?

I’m just looking to change my eating habits, and that of my family. When I google nutritionist in my area, one pops up that sells Herbalife, which is not what I’m going for. Also GNC, Jenny Craig, etc. come up. I just want someone to show me a healthier way to prepare meals at home.

My father and his father both had heart disease and I’m going to if I don’t turn something around. Thanks for your input.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It means different things in different places. Where are you?
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    https://www.nutritioned.org/dietitian-vs-nutritionist.html

You health insurance or primary care doctor might be able to assist you with find a registered dietitian.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I’m in south DFW, Texas
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    squeaker87 wrote: »

I’m in south DFW, Texas

Then you want a registered dietician. And yeah, ask your doctor for a referral.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I didn't answer your question, I have used a registered dietitian. I wasn't happy with her and I wanted to find another.
    A friend who lives out of the area said his dietitian suggested MFP and also passed along little ideas from his dietitian.
    I wish my original dietitian went over a calories per day plan and/or suggested MFP.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    squeaker87 wrote: »
    My husband checked our policy and it looks like we do get coverage for that! Awesome! Thanks guys!

Really cool to have that benefit! :smile: