Cranberry Juice Cleanse?

Options
After a summer long of eating so much garbage, I’m getting back on the horse. I’ve read about drinking a 100% cranberry juice and water mixture for a week to help cleanse your liver and flush out excess water weight.

Is this just one of those useless gimmicks or is there any benefit to doing something like this on occasion along with the caloric deficit?

Just to clarify I’m not considering this to “drop 10 pounds in a week” but looking at any benefits it might have to my system!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Gimmick. I've heard that cranberry juice could help to prevent UTIs, but there's no benefit to "cleansing" with it.

(And even with UTI prevention, it's less of an established link than a "can't hurt, could help" thing: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can-cranberry-juice-stop-uti/
    A 2012 Cochrane review concluded that cranberries did not significantly reduce the occurrence of symptomatic UTI, but cranberry juice may decrease the number of symptomatic UTIs over a 12-month period in women with recurrent UTIs.

Also, because supplements are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), it is not known how much of the active ingredient each product contains. Therefore, many of the products may not have enough of the active ingredient to be effective in preventing bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall.

“The bottom line? Cranberry can’t hurt, and it may help,” Dr. Moore says. She says it may be worth trying if you struggle with UTIs as the risk in doing so is very low.
    )
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Gimmick. Stick to drinking water
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will say that cranberry juice is good for some things. After surgery, while my insides were all finding new homes, I developed a mild UTI. Rather than go back to the doctor, pay another $150 office visit and get the news, I started drinking cranberry/blueberry juice and water three times a day. I relieved the symptoms in two days. Also if you get the 100% juice, you can water it down to limit calories. But I would not use it on it's own as a cleanse.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    It could be helpful if you get recurring urinary tract infections... otherwise save your money your liver and kidneys have been keeping up
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Think about it - do you seriously think you could go an entire week without food?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Think about it - do you seriously think you could go an entire week without food?

I would be cleansing my friends and other relationships LOL I guess if that's the kind of cleanse you're going for it could work!