Replies

• donnamcnulty
    donnamcnulty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Rutabagas!
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I discovered cavolo nero and until a few days ago I didn't realise it was a variety of kale. I hate kale, except for that and the purple kalettes. I like cavolo nero braised with sweetheart cabbage, spring greens, lettuce and fennel in a broth made with vegetable stock and herbs. I'm trying roast sweet potato now and it's not bad at all. We used to have it boiled and I detested it, but roasted has a much nicer flavour.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,294 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah: Fennel! (Not for the licorice haters, though.)

Also, not new, but if they're something you don't eat routinely, consider fresh artichokes: They have few calories (as long as you don't dip in butter/mayo!), and take foooorrrrrevvvvverrrr to eat, which can be helpful for letting satiation catch up with eating rate. Hot sauce/sriracha or seasoned vinegar make nice dips. (You can steam them; look up how to trim and remove the choke.)
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    Options
    I grew up loathing brussels sprouts, thanks to dad boiling them to within an inch of their lives, before splodging them, unseasoned and soggy, on my plate...

Fortunately, I found a simple recipe that made them delish - slice them in two, brush with oil, roast in the oven, season, drizzle with garlic oil and toss with some bacon lardons, mmmm....
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I grew up loathing brussels sprouts, thanks to dad boiling them to within an inch of their lives, before splodging them, unseasoned and soggy, on my plate...

Fortunately, I found a simple recipe that made them delish - slice them in two, brush with oil, roast in the oven, season, drizzle with garlic oil and toss with some bacon lardons, mmmm....

Brussels sprouts seem to be the veggie most commonly mistreated by our parents :lol: Spinach is another one. I've discovered I love it raw in a salad, sauted, or cooked in many dishes. From a can? Nope.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I still don't like brussel sprouts. I'll eat them, but I'm not a fan.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts! Love them roasted with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. And edamame!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oh, yeah: Fennel! (Not for the licorice haters, though.)

Also, not new, but if they're something you don't eat routinely, consider fresh artichokes: They have few calories (as long as you don't dip in butter/mayo!), and take foooorrrrrevvvvverrrr to eat, which can be helpful for letting satiation catch up with eating rate. Hot sauce/sriracha or seasoned vinegar make nice dips. (You can steam them; look up how to trim and remove the choke.)

Fennel is amazing sautéed as a side for grilled or roasted sea bass. Some fennel seeds on top of the sea bass too - yum!

My family is Greek and often have raw artichoke with lemon juice but I’ve never really got to grips with it. Love the chargrilled jars of artichokes for salad or pizza toppings though.
  • mazurkiepolish
    mazurkiepolish Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am still very picky. I love corn, peas, lettuce, broccoli (my favorite!!)

I decided that I really like onions and peppers as well. Brussel sprouts too, depending on the day.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    when I was a kid my mother bought canned asparagus. Yuck. Fast forward many years and a friend invited me for dinner. She served trout and the most beautiful green veggi I had ever seen.. She told me they were asparagus and I thought no, they can't be. Asparagus is a grey vegetable. I now love them any way they are cooked.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Brussels sprouts seem to be the veggie most commonly mistreated by our parents :lol: Spinach is another one. I've discovered I love it raw in a salad, sauted, or cooked in many dishes. From a can? Nope.

A lot of people talking smack about Brussel Sprouts, that was one I loved from the get go, along with asparagus as a kid. But I wanted to totally agree about spinach, my mom used to boil it then put vinegar on it. So gross. Now I eat it raw almost daily. Its my favorite salad green.