Rewarding Yourself

Options
For those who practice cleaner eating, what do you do to reward yourself? I’ve been practicing cleaner eating for not too long, almost 2 months now. Do you allow yourself a meal once a week/couple weeks to reward yourself for your progress?

Replies

• mazurkiepolish
    mazurkiepolish Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you think the foods you aren't eating are unclean, why would eating them be a "reward"?

Where did I say that?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Back when I was losing weight dramatically, I'd note each 20 lb increment as an excuse to run a 5k. That, or buy smaller clothes.
  • mazurkiepolish
    Options
    Back when I was losing weight dramatically, I'd note each 20 lb increment as an excuse to run a 5k. That, or buy smaller clothes.

Never thought of a reward like this!! I’m almost down 20.
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For those who practice cleaner eating, what do you do to reward yourself? I’ve been practicing cleaner eating for not too long, almost 2 months now. Do you allow yourself a meal once a week/couple weeks to reward yourself for your progress?

In the big picture, I feel awful when I “reward” myself. My taste buds feel great, body not so much. I usually do 1 meal every 2 weeks. Every week got to me mentally in the thought of “wow I can’t even make it a week without having a cheat meal” every 2 weeks I hit a goal but sometimes I crave the foods I already eat!
  • mazurkiepolish
    Options
    NGentRD wrote: »

In the big picture, I feel awful when I “reward” myself. My taste buds feel great, body not so much. I usually do 1 meal every 2 weeks. Every week got to me mentally in the thought of “wow I can’t even make it a week without having a cheat meal” every 2 weeks I hit a goal but sometimes I crave the foods I already eat!

I was afraid that after eating cleaner so long, that a reward meal would stump my progress. But sometimes I crave something not as healthy and ive been doing well. 1 meal every two weeks sounds like something I would want to do, even if it was once a month.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm not what I would call a clean eater but I reward myself with new clothes, looking better in my old clothes, makeup or gym equipment. Also I get to take new progress photos and write my blog post which is very rewarding for me.
  • competeagain
    competeagain Posts: 770 Member
    Options

This is pretty easy to understand...but anyway.
    Swedish fish are my go to
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do one day a week where I eat maintenance I know that this not the popular choice but it works for me. I do plan on trying it every two weeks in a few months but I’m still losing and feeling great.
    I just drink more and maybe eat a meal that’s not so healthy.
    I don’t personally find that one not so great meal effects my progress of how I feel.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Food as a reward? Nah....

There are much better rewards to be had.

B)

• mazurkiepolish
    Options
    If you think the foods you aren't eating are unclean, why would eating them be a "reward"?

Where did I say that?

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. When you asked if people allow themselves "a meal" as a reward, I assumed the meal would in some way be different than what you normally eat. I mean, you do have meals every day, right? So a reward meal would be different than the "clean" food you normally eat? If that's not what you meant, maybe you could explain what you did mean.

I’m sorry, my post was a little vague. I cut out a lot from my diet when I started losing and that’s ok because I overall feel so much better versus when I was eating a lot of not so good food, but sometimes I crave a pizza from Pizza Hut or a sub from Jim’s steak out. Or a whopper. I was wondering if anyone allows themselves a meal every once and a while and if it affects their progress

OK. I'm still not getting how food you believe is "not so good" and that leaves you feeling unwell when you eat it would be a reward.

I don't view foods that aren't poisonous or spoiled as bad (I don't have any food allergies or intolerances). I often make adjustments to work in foods that are too calorie-dense and nutrient sparse to be something I eat every day, but I wouldn't consider it a reward for eating in ways that support my goals the rest of the time. It would just be finding a way to eat something I want to eat, with whatever adjustments or trade-offs I'm willing to make.

I think you are reading too deeply into this. But thank you!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options

I don't practice "clean" eating ... except for the fact that I don't eat dirty food. Ick.

But when I was losing weight, I rewarded myself by doing more. As I lost the weight I was able to cycle further, cycle up hills easier, hike up hills without getting completely out of breath ... so the lighter I was, the more enjoyable things I could do!! :)