Busting some common diet, workout and weight loss myths

Options
Greetings, my friends and I recently had a debate about healthy living, working out, diets etc. and we had a ton of arguments. A lot of 'myths' came up and I though it would be fun (and informative) if we try to bust them together :) I'd like you to not only say that a myth is true or not, but also why you chose that option. Without furhter ado, here are the myths:

1. Working out after a meal is better than before a meal

2. Working out on an empty stomach burns more calories

3. If you want to gain muscle mass, you shouldn't eat junk food / sweet/ sugar

4. Junk food gets stored in the area under the belly button (you can't have a flat belly if you eat junk food)

5. If you are severly obese, you can't lose enough weight / transform your body to the point where you would have a flat belly and visible abs

6. If you only do ab and core exercises (no other muscle groups), you can still have a six-pack

7. Managing macronutrients is way more important than calories for losing weight / gaining muscle

8. You can't gain muscle mass if you don't consume a lot of protein

9. Only body weight exercises are enough to get a flat belly (no cardio)

I look forward to hearing your opinions & discussions on this topic. If you have any other myth you'd like to add, leave it in a comment and I'll edit it in.
Cheers!

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    ooh boy. Some of those are doozies! I think Jjpptt covered them pretty well. #4 would possibly be caused by bloating in the intestines, but it's certainly not fat storage! That's purely genetic.

I feel like we need to throw ACV and rasberry ketones in there somewhere, lol.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    :lol:@jjpptt2

Get back to work! Good job having the patience for your post.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ooh boy. Some of those are doozies! I think Jjpptt covered them pretty well. #4 would possibly be caused by bloating in the intestines, but it's certainly not fat storage! That's purely genetic.

They sure are doozies hahah that is the point of this post though. What do you mean with ACV and rasberry ketones? xD

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The same as you can't say "this thing is true for everyone" nor can you say "this thing is untrue for everyone." The reason these aphorisms gain traction is because they contain a seed of sense if you don't delve too deeply. For me I'd talk to people about critical thinking in addition engaging on specifics of diet and exercise.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »

They sure are doozies hahah that is the point of this post though. What do you mean with ACV and rasberry ketones? xD

The myth that they burn more fat, help you lose weight, and rid the body of "toxinz". It's a bunch of bull-puckey. Just some of the one's I've seen on various blogs, and through the grapevine at work.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    I'm assuming the intent of OP's post was to discuss the bad dieting myths we've heard through our lives, and why they're BS? I agree there's not much to debate about it. But sometimes it is fun to share the load of crap we've heard from other people that absolutely believe it to be true. We've all been there trying to explain to Aunt Martha that she doesn't need to do a detox/cleanse to lose weight. Or explaining to our co-worker that white foods aren't making them fat. Eating too much is.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »
    Greetings, my friends and I recently had a debate about healthy living, working out, diets etc. and we had a ton of arguments. A lot of 'myths' came up and I though it would be fun (and informative) if we try to bust them together :) I'd like you to not only say that a myth is true or not, but also why you chose that option. Without furhter ado, here are the myths:

2. Working out on an empty stomach burns more calories Not true, but there are advantages to doing fasting cardio if your goal is endurance.

4. Junk food gets stored in the area under the belly button (you can't have a flat belly if you eat junk food) I don't know about this one...for me, personally, my stomach is flatter when I eat high protein/low carb. Even at the same weight. I'm not a scientist but am an expert on my own body, and I also just feel better sans junk food!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Nothing about carbs or cleanses?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    10. Person isn't losing weight because of a "broken/slow metabolism"
    11. Person isn't losing weight because of "Starvation Mode"
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    tenor.gif?itemid=6011955
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 pretty much nailed it.

Just one comment, re #5
    5. If you are severly obese, you can't lose enough weight / transform your body to the point where you would have a flat belly and visible abs

Wanna know how I know you haven't read all the threads and looked at their before/after pictures in the "Success Stories" forum? ;)

It doesn't take more proof that it's possible than one real-life example. There are multiples there.

There's a thread in "Debate" that's a #3 killer, too:
    3. If you want to gain muscle mass, you shouldn't eat junk food / sweet/ sugar

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it

(Look at his recent photo on what's currently the last page, page 59.)