Suppressing Appetite on Low Fiber Diet?

I am having trouble with feeling hungry and over eating a lot. I am on a low fiber and limited protein diet due to a digestive disorder...any advice or experience with this? I’m seeing a new dietician next week but previously the doctors have and one dietician I saw once have just told me foods to avoid for the digestive disorder. Thanks.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Is it all proteins to include plant based ones? Because generally proteins and fiber are the satiated foods.

I also find things like yakisoba or udan noodles to be super filling. I add in cabbage, green peers, carrots and onion. I am pretty sure its fairly low fiber but its pretty high volume.
  • Shortypony
    Shortypony Posts: 10 Member
    I’m on a plant based diet as well but yes it includes all fiber and protein. Essential I can’t have any raw fruits or vegetables (can have most veggies well cooked and fruit blended) no high fiber breads or anything like that (I’m limited to white bread, white rice etc) so essentially I’m stuck with all the garbage foods! I can have small amounts of protein spread throughout the day.
  • mariposaposamari
    mariposaposamari Posts: 3 Member
    How about lean protein? How much protein are you limited to? When I was on low-carb diet I would feel quite full just eating lean protein, say grilled chicken or eggs for breakfast. It did keep me full until lunchtime
  • Shortypony
    I’m on a plant based diet I can’t eat either of those things :( I can have like 2 tbs peanut butter or like a small serving of tofu. So far it hasn’t helped much.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Make a list of foods to ask the new nutritionist about, especially tofu and peanut butter.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Are you on a plant based diet based on your values or are you on it because you believe it's healthier? Is it medical? Generally, animal protein is more satisfying if you take the fiber out of the equation. If you absolutely have to have a plant based diet, look into textural satiety. Heartier textures tend to be more satisfying. Try braised potatoes and mushrooms, blended soups with enough fat and thickeners...etc.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I don't know if this would be any help at all but I drink alot of water with kool-aid or crystal light drops in it. No fibre or protein in that but of course there are artificial sweetners in it. If you aren't sensitive to them that might help you have a false sense of fullness. I hope you get your medical issues resolved as this must be very difficult.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I'm low fiber/low fat due to gastroparesis/crohn's and vasivally live on white carbs but have no appetite (due to tthe gastroparesis)
  • Shortypony
    Plant based is the only thing that is by choice. I will try braised potatoes just have to remove the skins!
  • Shortypony
    edited August 2018
    Sorry I just saw some of these! I used to live off crystal light but I’m off artificial sweeteners and colors as well :( and I have gastroparesis as well as severe reflux but unfortunately I do not have loss of appetite, that would make my weight problems a lot easier to manage!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    hmmm...low fiber, low protein, plant based...maybe oats??? coconut oil??? avocado oil??? rice???

I don't know how small a serving of tofu you are allowed, but I always found scrambled tofu to be filling when it was cooked in some oil and had some full flavor seasoning on it like salt, pepper, garlic, tumeric, & cumin...tofu doesn't have a lot of flavor, and you have to drain/squeeze the water out to make it more dry and cook up decently, but I found it to be satisfying with strong spices.

What about seitan? That's a wheat gluten based protein, not sure if your digestive system tolerates wheat and gluten.

Also, if you don't mind processed fake meats, there are "hot dogs" called tofu pups which I always found to be filling and they used to be totally gluten free version of a vegan hot dog.

Jasmine rice, I always found to be more filling than other kinds of rice, and I don't think it has as much fiber as brown rice, so that might be useful to fill you up, assuming your digestive system tolerates rice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Try a plain soup. You can make your own with broth, cooking your rice in it.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited August 2018
    To add to the above, maybe soup with cream based broths. If you are strictly plant based, with no dairy, I've heard coconut milk makes a great alternative. I've never had it in soup, but it sounds yummy. You could make a potato chowder of sorts, that would have high volume, and low fiber. I'm not sure of the protein content of coconut milk though. Veggies like peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots, & potatos are all lower in fiber, I'm pretty sure.

ETA: Nut milks such as almond, cashew, and soy are all pretty low on protien and fiber. Something to drink and fill you up?

I think Ice berg lettuce is a veggie that is lower on fiber, and high in volume, so salads might be an option? (Provided the other veggies are low fiber). Add just a sprinkle of sunflower seeds for a touch of protien (since you daid you can have a little, but not much).
  • barbarabessinger
    barbarabessinger Posts: 1 Member
    I’m a diabetic trying to figure it all out I am overweight doctor says if I lose some I can go off the pills need help not sure what to do
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I’m a diabetic trying to figure it all out I am overweight doctor says if I lose some I can go off the pills need help not sure what to do

Please post your question in the "general health, fitness and diet" section. You are likely to get more answers there so that we don't go off the subject of the original poster's thread.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I triple the soup suggestion. Salad makes me hungry in 5 minutes, but a good soup can keep me full for hours...

There's something about hot beverages that keep me full at least. Keeps me going when IF'ing. See if it works for you.
  • Shortypony
    Thanks I will see if I can find some good soup recipes!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Shortypony wrote: »
    Thanks I will see if I can find some good soup recipes!

Look into preparing soups that are a mix of chunky and blended. That combination tends to be most filling to me.
  • Shortypony
    Thanks!
  • emjay196363
    emjay196363 Posts: 37 Member
    I notice I'm not as hungry when I drink green tea. I use stevia for sweetening and usually have one cup in morning and one in afternoon.