Weird Feeling in Knee from Squatting/Lunges

Options
I been doing heavy squating and lunges plus deadlifts for 3 weeks now, and about a week ago or less, I notice a weird feeling in my right knee. It doesn't hurt but it feels like it's stiff, numb, tingly, popping sensation every now in then whenever I bend my knee. No pain at all but it feels so weird. I try researching but still not sure. Should I be worried or is it my body getting use to different movements and heavier weights?

Replies

• bungersma1
    bungersma1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm an older woman and don't do squats nor deadlifts, but I can tell you from experience that if my knee feels tight when I bend it, there is some inflammation in there. You might want to try a gel cool-pak 2 or 3 times a day. Can you take anti-inflammatories? Try one just before bed. Maybe back off the extra weight for a bit and see if those things make a difference. You don't really want to tear something inside there and have to go through the healing process. Good luck.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    All I know it's like a squirmish feeling in my right knee, that's best way I can describe it. Whenever I walk, especially doing cardio, the feeling goes away.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I get a numb feeling in my outer left knee sometimes. I've never really worried about it.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I been doing heavy squating and lunges plus deadlifts for 3 weeks now, and about a week ago or less, I notice a weird feeling in my right knee. It doesn't hurt but it feels like it's stiff, numb, tingly, popping sensation every now in then whenever I bend my knee. No pain at all but it feels so weird. I try researching but still not sure. Should I be worried or is it my body getting use to different movements and heavier weights?

Just a “popping” noise or sensation isn’t usually much to worry about - just stuff in the joint getting quickly expelled when you bend the joint.

“Stiff”, “tingly” and “numb” could be more concerning as it could indicate something becoming trapped or compressed in the squat movement.

Do you have anyone who can watch you and critique your form? Are you able to squat in front of a mirror? That might identify if it’s your form that’s causing the problem.

If it’s not form and the problem persists (or worse becomes painful) search out an expert like a physio.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I use a Smith Machine for my squats and split lunges since I'm a beginner and don't have a spotter but there are other people around if I do need help. I always use a mirror since the racks are in front of mirrors, I also do a lot of Sumo Squats. The weird feeling in my knee came after I started doing split lunges. I was worried at first but it doesn't hurt at all. Just feels so weird.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I use a Smith Machine for my squats and split lunges since I'm a beginner and don't have a spotter but there are other people around if I do need help. I always use a mirror since the racks are in front of mirrors, I also do a lot of Sumo Squats. The weird feeling in my knee came after I started doing split lunges. I was worried at first but it doesn't hurt at all. Just feels so weird.

Assuming that your form is good (weight of heels, knees pushing out) and it’s not painful I wouldn’t worry. Docs rarely admit it but sometimes stuff just feels weird and there’s nothing they can do and indeed nothing is wrong.

Everyone is built slightly differently and everyone has quirks in their organs, joints, muscles etc. As long as it doesn’t hurt, don’t worry about it.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Ok thank you. That's reassuring. I just started, I'm enjoying doing compound workouts, I'm already starting to see results and my weights continue to go up because I'm getting stronger. I'm not ready stop because of something that's not a big deal and I hope it never becomes one. Really wish I started compound lifting 8 months ago rather than waste my time doing nothing but excessive isolation workouts.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Assuming that your form is good (weight of heels, knees pushing out) and it’s not painful I wouldn’t worry. Docs rarely admit it but sometimes stuff just feels weird and there’s nothing they can do and indeed nothing is wrong.

Everyone is built slightly differently and everyone has quirks in their organs, joints, muscles etc. As long as it doesn’t hurt, don’t worry about it.

I dont know how true it is but Ive heard that a smith machine is harder on your knees/joint when doing squats and other things as your form isnt on par as it would be doing it without the machine. its said that you dont engage your core like you should when using it so you put more pressure on the lower half of your body
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I don't plan on using the Smith Machine forever. I'm only using it for a few weeks to get use to it and for safety reasons. I'm not sure when I should try using without.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on using the Smith Machine forever. I'm only using it for a few weeks to get use to it and for safety reasons. I'm not sure when I should try using without.

Now.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Lol. I might try without when I go to the gym today.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Switch to goblet squats. This page explains how:
    builtlean.com/2016/11/30/goblet-squat-form/

Warm up your knees first on the elliptical, rower or bike for 5-10 minutes.

Video your squats instead of checking form in the mirror, which often causes an arching of the back, plus it develops a reliance on external cues for determining your position instead of by "feeling it".

Common mistakes on the stationary lunge: https://youtube.com/watch?v=AMfbdugbcL8
    :+1:
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Yes, get out of the smith machine. Do squats in a power cage with safeties or a half rack with safeties. You don't need a spotter (that is what the safeties are for).
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used to try to squat in the smith machine. It's really awkward and a very different movement. So do a few reps in a squat rack or power rack with safeties with just the barbell to make sure you feel confident in the movement first.

I find my knees feel "weird" when I don't use my knee sleeves. Not sure if that's just in my mind, or actually something going on.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I have noticed the different feeling when squatting using the smith machine and barbell alone. I wished my trainer helped me use the racks rather than the machine. I'm more experienced than he gives me credit for.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the different feeling when squatting using the smith machine and barbell alone. I wished my trainer helped me use the racks rather than the machine. I'm more experienced than he gives me credit for.

Talk to trainer about this! Ask what steps/progress you need to make to get to the BB.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    lunges are knee killers, i don't do them. I have bad knees, and i wear compression knee sleeves for squats and deadlifts. Also really warm them up good, and keep them warm.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your knee has become unstable. My wife had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with an ACL tear. I wouldn't stress the knee without an orthopedic evaluation.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    How bad is it to do sumo Squats, lunges, good mornings/front squats, sumo clean deadlifts and stiff Leg deadlifts in one day? Stupid question, but I love doing lower body workouts and want to improve my legs.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    How bad is it to do sumo Squats, lunges, good mornings/front squats, sumo clean deadlifts and stiff Leg deadlifts in one day? Stupid question, but I love doing lower body workouts and want to improve my legs.

i could do all that in one workout, except not the lunges i don't do lunges. I generally start with my low rep heavy sets , and the rest will be volume sets. But i also add things like high thrust, leg press, GHR, And i would only do this heavy volume leg day once a week.