Stuck at the same weight for a week

Options
ASigMarai
ASigMarai Posts: 19 Member
edited August 2018 in Motivation and Support
Okay so here's the deal. For the past 3 weeks, i've lost 6 pounds and was 219. My starting weight was 225. I thought to myself, okay my diet is working. Eating below my calorie intake, I also take a supplement (SlimVance from GNC). The supplement has been working, i feel more energized and sweating a lot more. I also don't eat past 8 pm. I work out cardio for 30 mins every weekday and rest on the weekends.

Now, last saturday, I went swimming for about 45 mins. Sunday, I was a whopping 221. I'm figuring out, okay it's probably muscle from the swimming and I drank so much water so it's probably that. On Tuesday, I was 220. So i was thinking, okay, it was water weight. Now today, I'm 221.4. I'm trying to figure out what am I doing wrong? Is it me? (For women out there: This is my ovulation week so i heard that water retention is a thing when Ovulating. So i'm believing it could be this.)

I eat healthier.
I stay away from processed foods and meat
I only drink coffee (2 cups), lemonade (2 cups) and water (rest of the day).
I burn about 250 calories every day and I don't add back the calories after the workout

I also weigh myself every 2 days. Granted, i know you're not suppose to but I do it to track my progress.

What could be the problem? I'm open to advice. I actually want to lose at least 10 pounds before September.

SN: My boyfriend says my stomach looks a bit smaller. So that could be a plus.

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Your weight fluctuates all the time. It varies based on the person, but some people can fluctuate 5lbs or more. Water retention and waste in your body can contribute to that. Your time of the month can definitely impact that as well. Trust the process and keep at it. These things can sometimes hide fat loss on the scale. I would also recommend taking body measurements as this can help show fat loss as well.

And nothing wrong with weighing yourself every two days. There are weight trend apps you can download (happy scale, libra) that you enter your weight daily and it will show you the trend over time.
  • ASigMarai
    Options
    Thanks :) I'm also taking progress photos to see my results. I'm trying :wink:
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    There are lots of factors that attribute to no loss in a week. Even if you ate right what you ate could cause you to retain more water. How much water you drank throughout the day. I know my wife has weight gains monthly due to mother nature as well. Just a suggestion but I would try to only get on the scale once a month. I started to hide the scale when my wife is dieting and she appreciated it. Keep up the good work!!!!
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily. Water weight and time of day you do your weigh ins are a big factor.
    I wouldn't worry about your weight differences you mentioned. Takes time
  • ASigMarai
    Options
    These things can sometimes hide fat loss on the scale. I would also recommend taking body measurements as this can help show fat loss as well.

For the body measurements, when should i take those? Every month?

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    6x0tmf8tr0bq.jpg
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    ASigMarai wrote: »
    For the body measurements, when should i take those? Every month?

Yes, once a month would be good.

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I disagree with weighing only once a month. We are creatures of habit, a month without feedback is too long and you could see some very disappointing results. All of us need course corrections as we go. Scales (both body and food) are very useful tools for adding factual data to your weight loss program. Be a grown-up and expect fluctuation in body scale readings for all the reasons folks have already mentioned. Trend over months is what counts. If your trend isn't downward after a longer period you are not doing something right and will need to review how you measure calorie inputs and outputs to ensure you are in calorie deficit. One more point, if you are new to this then weighing everyday for several months will teach you how your body reacts to ovulation, sodium, exercise, etc.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, I would tell your doctor about the slimming supplement just to be on the safe side. Some supplements are contraindicated for some conditions. Apart from that, I wouldn't worry too much. You're not going to see changes on the scale every single week. It may look on the scales that you've not lost weight, but your body is probably changing in tiny little ways that you haven't noticed yet. If you feel you're relying on the scales a bit too much, weigh yourself fewer times a week. Two days isn't going to make a huge difference, unless your scales are from NASA. Have you actually examined your body with your own hands, or are you relying on the scales and photos? They might not show that your neck, wrists, ankles, feet, arms etc are getting slimmer, even when they are.
  • ASigMarai
    Options
    Have you actually examined your body with your own hands, or are you relying on the scales and photos? They might not show that your neck, wrists, ankles, feet, arms etc are getting slimmer, even when they are.

Well apart from the fact my boyfriend says my stomach looks a little smaller, I haven't really examined. I usually can't tell when i've lost weight unless it shows in my clothes.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If I worried about not having lost weight in a week I'd have given up long ago. Please when approaching goal and seeing the losses slow down and be easily masked by fluctuations in water weight. To me, more info is better, and daily weighing with a weight trending app keeps it all in perspective.
    41gw6iyskxhw.jpg
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ASigMarai wrote: »
    Have you actually examined your body with your own hands, or are you relying on the scales and photos? They might not show that your neck, wrists, ankles, feet, arms etc are getting slimmer, even when they are.

Well apart from the fact my boyfriend says my stomach looks a little smaller, I haven't really examined. I usually can't tell when i've lost weight unless it shows in my clothes.

Sometimes your hands and feet show the first signs. Little things like having to tie your laces a bit tighter, or rings and bracelets being a tiny bit looser. The more you get to know your body the more slight changes you'll see, and they can give you a lift and a bit of motivation to keep going. Your boyfriend's already noticed your smaller tummy, so you're definitely changing 😊
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have gone as long as two weeks without losing anything even though my eating and exercise have remained the same. A lot of things can factor in, water retention, salt intake, constipation and even just your body getting stubborn and holding on to every ounce it can for a bit. Keep doing what you were doing when you lost weight. Also understand, that a sustainable rate of weight loss is around one pound per week (on average). Weigh and measure and log everything that you eat or drink, even supplements, every day. You are in this for the long haul so you are building new habits that you will use the rest of your life. Exercise is great for your health, but weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh weekly and found myself getting very frustrated because the numbers never seemed to go down.

I started weighing daily and tracking it so that I could see the day to day fluctuation and lo and behold over a few weeks there was actually a loss. I've learned that if my water intake is low the scale goes up. If I have a carb heavy day it will go up for two-three days. Sodium is wreaks havoc on the scale. The daily weigh in has made me see things a little more clearly. (It did take about 4 months for me to see it though).

I measure on the first of the month every month. I have a fond saying that the scale and I have a love/hate relationship but the tape measure and I just have a deep abiding love for one another.

I don't have my exact numbers with me but in June I only lost a couple of pounds but lost 6 inches.
    July I lost 4.4 pounds and 5 inches. The inches are overall not in my waist where I most want to lose it LOL

I have learned not to let the weight of the scale affect me so much, my clothes are feeling loser I feel healthier so I just need to have patience for the number to be what I think it should be.
  • ASigMarai
    Options
    Well, a bit of good news from my end. I weighed myself (again...lol) I'm 220.8 now. I'm going to take everyone's advice. I haven't done a body measure as of yet so i'll take one tomorrow.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Everyone had good advice above. I can’t speak to the supplement you’re taking but you don’t need something that promises to help with weight loss.
    I think your fluctuations are pretty normal. The extra exercise didn’t add muscle but it could have caused more water retention. That and your cycle would explain it.
    You may not lose every week, especially as your weight lowers. Stick to your deficit and give it time. Patience is your friend here. Weight loss is achieved *over time* by taking in less than you expend. Read through the boards, use the search function and ask away as you go. Don’t forget to look for those non scale victories in between scale movements. You can do this :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    I have gone as long as two weeks without losing anything even though my eating and exercise have remained the same. A lot of things can factor in, water retention, salt intake, constipation and even just your body getting stubborn and holding on to every ounce it can for a bit. Keep doing what you were doing when you lost weight. Also understand, that a sustainable rate of weight loss is around one pound per week (on average). Weigh and measure and log everything that you eat or drink, even supplements, every day. You are in this for the long haul so you are building new habits that you will use the rest of your life. Exercise is great for your health, but weight loss happens in the kitchen.

I have heard that over and over in many studies and articles. I think this is the first time I've seen it on the message boards in MFP. My cousin is fond of saying "You can't outrun a bad diet". Great advice.