How do you keep to your goals?

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm just curious how do you guys keep to only eating what you set yourself and no more i.e. *this much* cheesecake is your allocation, I'm just curious how do you only stick to that amount and not eating the whole thing. My problem is I know it is there and therefore will pick and it and before I know it I have eaten pretty much all of it, if not all of it.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Something like your cheesecake example, it wouldn’t be in front of me to begin with. Not because I don’t like it, it’s just not worth it to me.

But I’ve met people who would order dessert in a restaurant and 1) get a to go container, immediately put half in the box. Freeze the remaining half as soon as they got home. 2) eat as much as the want, then grab a salt shaker and render the rest uneatable.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't always stick to what I had planned to eat, but I plan to eat what I want, and I don't berate myself whenever I eat something I didn't plan. But I don't eat outside of plan that often, because I know I can eat anything I want anytime I like, so I don't feel pressured to a watch out for moment of weakness so I can get it over with.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Portion it out, put the rest away. It really just comes down to what's more important? Losing the weight or eating an entire cheesecake at once? Maybe also don't have an entire cheesecake at your disposal.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    It’s tricky, and I haven’t been terribly successful in the past...hence why I’m in this situation lol.

I’m a huge work in progress. What I’ve discovered, is I have to follow what my mindset is at that day. If it’s an indulgent food, let’s use cheesecake as an example, and I don’t think just eating a half slice will satisfy me (I.e brain reverts to condition thinking of “I’m being deprived”), I will eat the whole slice and move on, and continue with my normal healthy eating. I don’t restrict later or over exercise. I accept that one piece of cheesecake is not going to have a profound affect on my goals. I do pay attention to trends though. If I’m finding reason to eat cheesecake everyday...I try to figure out why. For me, it’s usually an emotional issue.

I also ask myself if I will really enjoy it? For example, it may not be worth it and I can make a choice to avoid, but it also depends on my frame of mind at time.

If this is going to be a forever thing with me, I needed to find a way to coexist in this world with tempting and triggering foods, and get to the emotional root of my binge eating, while also developing a healthier relationship with food that makes sense to me.

It has taken me years to deal with the root of the emotional and binge eating through therapy, and self confidence, self love and self respect to fix my relationship with food. 1 slice of cheesecake doesn’t have to mean the whole dish. And if it becomes the whole dish one time, so what? It’s not cause for going off the rails, starvation or over exercising. If it starts to look like whole cheesecake everyday, I’m responsible for recognizing in myself that I’m self medicating and need to figure out why.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    You decide that the goal is better than 6 slices of cheesecake...

That cheesecake is short term happiness. Your goal is long term happiness. Decide what's more important to you. Also, get a friend to intercede (hide the cake, slap your hand, distract you).
  • kommodevaran
    Oh, cheesecake, I forgot - I actually make cheesecake from time to time! I allocate it for 6 days, and I know I will have one piece every day for 6 days, if I only eat one piece per day. It's not really that hard for me. Other things I just choose to not have available. I haven't bought a pint of ice cream, or a family size bag of crisps, or a chocolate cake, for instance, for several years now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You decide that the goal is better than 6 slices of cheesecake...

That cheesecake is short term happiness. Your goal is long term happiness. Decide what's more important to you. Also, get a friend to intercede (hide the cake, slap your hand, distract you).

I would disagree with that, it's no one else's responsibility to move away from the cake...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    My intake goals shift depending on the day. Ok I may not have room for cheesecake today, but maybe I will tomorrow or on the weekend. And sure maybe I want more than one slice, then I have to make a decision. Take it away from other places (maybe important places which could affect my macro goals) or I move a little more (not punishment but to balance it out), take it way from the upcoming week or I slow down my weight loss overall that week. Typically I will try to think of my goals above all but sometimes that extra slice gets in there. Log it.. move on.
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    I don't always stick to what I had planned to eat, but I plan to eat what I want, and I don't berate myself whenever I eat something I didn't plan. But I don't eat outside of plan that often, because I know I can eat anything I want anytime I like, so I don't feel pressured to a watch out for moment of weakness so I can get it over with.

THIS!
  • kchapman588
    kchapman588 Posts: 55 Member
    Make friends that want to help, or even better trying to do the same thing. Then you will be motivated by not wanting to let them down
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    I seriously want to eat within my calorie range to lose weight. Therefore, I count calories and if I have too much of something - then I'll have to give something else up later in the day to make up for it. Of course, there are days where that goes out the window and I wind up going over. But for the most part, I know the calories, I know the range I need to eat at to lose, and if I really want to lose, then I'll make it work.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    For me, I know there are certain things I have trouble controlling myself around, sweets especially. I just make room for those in my calorie goals and only buy what I am willing to eat. For example, only buy the individual slice instead of the whole cheesecake because I know if I get the whole cheesecake I will eat the whole cheesecake. For candy, I will only get one serving. If I am not willing to eat all the calories in the package, I will pick something else. After time, those cravings will get better. Last week I managed to make a pint of ice cream last 4 days (1 serving/day).
  • kommodevaran
    Follow-up question for everybody: Do you find treats you have made yourself, easier to moderate than store-bought treats? Is there something about making it yourself, a feeling of accomplishment, that supports, idk, confidence, self-control?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Follow-up question for everybody: Do you find treats you have made yourself, easier to moderate than store-bought treats? Is there something about making it yourself, a feeling of accomplishment, that supports, idk, confidence, self-control?

No... not for me. Plus something I baked won't often be single serving, while something shop bought could be.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    Something like your cheesecake example, it wouldn’t be in front of me to begin with. Not because I don’t like it, it’s just not worth it to me.

Right ... I'd rather order a small slice of a favourite cheesecake once in a while, than to spend the money on a whole one.