Rest Days & Sleep

Options
Vol92
Vol92 Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

I'm a novice runner. I did quite a bit of running this time last year and did well for a few months and winded up just falling off the wagon when the weather turned cold. I picked up running again a few weeks ago and have been running 2-3 days in a row with a day of rest. The length varies.

I sleep deeply with few interruptions on days that I run, however on rest days my sleep can suffer with many interruptions and sleeping lighter than usual. This naturally makes rest days a bit dreadful. I am aware of the research on relationship to exercise and sleep quality and reap the benefits on days I do exercise.

A few questions: 1) Does anyone else sleep better on days they exercise as opposed to rest days? 2) What can I do on "rest" days, but still get some physical activity in, would cycling or weight training be an option? 3) I hear some people actually run every day, but they use "rest" days to just complete really short runs in comparison to longer runs they typically do. Is this advisable?

If it's any use, I'm a wound up person by nature.

Thanks all and enjoy the day.

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    I sleep better on days I work out. I don't think there is anything wrong with working out more often. You could run and then the next day mix weight lifting and cycling (like you said). You will probably want to take at least 1 day off a week for recovery but you should have no issues increasing (barring health issues). Rest is good for weight loss and recovery so whatever helps you should be done! Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The answer to most of your questions lies in lots of personal preference.
    1. I'm not a good sleeper in general, but harder workouts typically lead to poorer sleep as I end up tight/tense that night which makes it hard to sleep. But that's me.
    2. Whatever you want. Stretching/yoga/mobility works is a great option for rest days and compliments running well. Personally, I often walk/hike with my dogs or ride bikes with my son.
    3. It can be, but pay attention to your body and make sure you're allowing it to recover.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My son is a runner, he run 6-10 miles on his training days and does like a 6-7 min/mile pace. On his "rest" days he will run 3 miles and run at an 8-9 min/mile pace or bike, sometimes both. He has been training like this for a few years. Rest days don't have to be zero activity, biking or walking or even running at a pace that reduces intensity should be suitable "rest" activities.

I also workout every day with strength training, combat, walking, stretching, etc. My rest days are walking and stretching. Active rest is good, particularly if it helps you sleep, your body just needs some reduction compared to the intensity of a training day, some chance to recover and give the muscles a bit of a break. It isn't necessary to be totally sedentary.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i've never noticed a difference in sleep on training or rest days.

is running the only execise you do?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I dont run but do try to work out 5-6 days a week.

I've never noticed a difference in my sleep.
  • Vol92
    Vol92 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks all for some really quick feedback. I tried addressing most of everything below:
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    1. I'm not a good sleeper in general, but harder workouts typically lead to poorer sleep as I end up tight/tense that night which makes it hard to sleep. But that's me.
    2. Whatever you want. Stretching/yoga/mobility works is a great option for rest days and compliments running well. Personally, I often walk/hike with my dogs or ride bikes with my son.
    3. It can be, but pay attention to your body and make sure you're allowing it to recover.

I had figured much of it likely would have been preferential, along with everyone responds a bit differently to exercise. What works for some, may not for others. I would like to start doing something on rest days between runs.
    My son is a runner, he run 6-10 miles on his training days and does like a 6-7 min/mile pace. On his "rest" days he will run 3 miles and run at an 8-9 min/mile pace or bike, sometimes both. He has been training like this for a few years. Rest days don't have to be zero activity, biking or walking or even running at a pace that reduces intensity should be suitable "rest" activities.

I also workout every day with strength training, combat, walking, stretching, etc. My rest days are walking and stretching. Active rest is good, particularly if it helps you sleep, your body just needs some reduction compared to the intensity of a training day, some chance to recover and give the muscles a bit of a break. It isn't necessary to be totally sedentary.

This is one of the things I kept coming across -- some people I have read claim to be on running "streaks" to various degrees of days in a row where they have run, some of which have exceeded 100+ days. Normally they would do a high intensity run, for example 10 miles, and on there rest they would just do 2-3 miles at a much lighter pace. Speaking more on the sedentary part, I started working in an office three years ago, so I am sitting down all day. If I do not do any physical activity before work, I am sitting down for 13-16 hours a day before I go to sleep, which I am sure isn't healthy for good regenerative sleep let alone all around health.

As of right now, running is the only exercise I do. I do know my way around a weight room a bit, but do not take any advantage of it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Also, thinking about mindset and terminology...

Rest days and recovery days don't have to be the same thing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Vol92 wrote: »
    Thanks all for some really quick feedback. I tried addressing most of everything below:
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I had figured much of it likely would have been preferential, along with everyone responds a bit differently to exercise. What works for some, may not for others. I would like to start doing something on rest days between runs.

This is one of the things I kept coming across -- some people I have read claim to be on running "streaks" to various degrees of days in a row where they have run, some of which have exceeded 100+ days. Normally they would do a high intensity run, for example 10 miles, and on there rest they would just do 2-3 miles at a much lighter pace. Speaking more on the sedentary part, I started working in an office three years ago, so I am sitting down all day. If I do not do any physical activity before work, I am sitting down for 13-16 hours a day before I go to sleep, which I am sure isn't healthy for good regenerative sleep let alone all around health.

As of right now, running is the only exercise I do. I do know my way around a weight room a bit, but do not take any advantage of it.

i would definitely add in some strength training, and potentially cross training, that way you may not need a full on rest day, you could just do an easy swim or bike as a rest from running.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    My sleep gets disturbed due to DOMS - 200-400 mg of ibuprofen at bedtime plus 3 mg melatonin an hour before sleep is a lifesaver.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking yoga would be a good compliment to your running.

(Going off personal observation.
    My SO is a runner and swimmer, I do a bit of everything but running.
    We started doing a yoga class together and he couldn't believe how inflexible he had become, nor the DOMS he had the next day He has really appreciated the increased range of motion (he didn't think he had any limitations) yoga has given him.

Cheers, h.
    (Can't believe I didn't say lift- always a good option)
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is why I aim to workout 7 days per week, although it usually ends up being more like 5 or 6. Since starting to workout I sleep so much better and now fall asleep earlier. I have a desk job so don't see a problem with doing one hour of exercise per day. I do Les Mills classes and Strong Zumba.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I reviewed my data and don't find any significant difference in my actual sleep patterns, but I'm an outlier and can function with <6 hrs of sleep.

I have trouble going to bed knowing that something I meant to complete is not completed, so if I meant to run and did not that may cause a bit of unease. I mitigate this through planning. I wake up and work out - reviewing the plan ahead while working out and logging in between sets. I decompress at the end of the day and review the tasks I planned and put together a schedule for the next day. I control what I can and leave the rest alone - that gives me peace.

Highly recommend reading "Why We Sleep" - Matthew Walker
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Doing my run late in the evening interferes with my sleep, but otherwise, exercise doesn't affect my sleep. Sometimes other things do, though. Be sure to consider other things you might be doing differently on days you don't run--eating later, drinking caffeine later, etc.

Swimming is a great form of exercise to complement running, and being in the water usually helps people sleep well, esp. if they swim in cool water in the evening. I used to just pool-walk and/or play in the pool in the evening when my kids were little, and we all slept best on those nights.