New and hungry

I signed up ages ago but just started using regularly. Holy frack was I eating a LOT before. I'm talking breakfast, lunch, dinner all from take out plus unhealthy snacks... I was easily doing close to 3,500 calories a day.

And now I'm logging food and not yet super trying to cut back just see what calories homemade food is like and it's still a lot. My GOD am I ever going to miss cheese the way I've been consuming it. But after three days of logging food I can easily see some very simple ways to make a big difference. However, I'm also going through.. whatever you go through when you switch from junky takeaway to homemade (sort of) healthy food. tired, headache, etc. And I cannot stop thinking about food. It occupies my thoughts all day long.

On the plus side, logging all my food has already got me drinking way more water and at least getting in healthy snacks before giving in to my hunger pangs and having something not healthy. And in three days only one takeout meal and I picked two items that were cheap and lower calorie so I didn't blow the day. I've eaten more fruit and veg in the past three days than the last three weeks! (unless you count french fries)

Got to get on the exercise portion but it is RAGING hot here right now and walking is one of the only things that is super simple that I can see myself actually doing to start out. Not easy when just standing outside makes you uncomfortable! But the heat will pass soon and that excuse will be gone.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    You are probably eating less carbs, less salt, and chugging more water - your electrolyte balance is likely completely out causing the tiredness and headaches.

Add some salt to your food and get an electrolyte drink - that should help you out!
  • rainykatie
    rainykatie Posts: 91 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hello and welcome! Great job over the last few days!

You shouldn't be too too hungry right off the bat. I've found that drastically cutting my calories initially was a sure way to make me fail- rather I tried slow adjustments downward. Doing little changes here and there. After a while, you get used to regular sized portions.

The headache thing is also odd- perhaps the person above me mentioning electrolytes has a point. I wonder if perhaps you made another dietary change that might be triggering a headache- i.e. cutting out caffeine, etc?

I know what you mean about cheese. Cheese is like my favorite thing in the world and I have learned that in order to be successful, I need to really moderate the amount I eat. It's generally not worth including much in the eating plan, as it is so calorie dense it blows the budget. I will enjoy a string cheese instead (70-80 cals) or take a small chunk of good cheese with a few crackers to work- pre-defining my portion size when I am not hungry really helps. I also switched from spreading cream cheese on toast to buying those little Laughing Cow light cheese wedges (35 cals). That seems to satisfy my need for cheese enough that I don't go crazy when I do encounter it.

As far as the exercise- don't worry about it right now. Like I said before, it's easier to make smaller changes incrementally than to change everything you do. For me, what I am eating seems to make a much larger difference in weight loss than exercise, so it really helps to get a handle on the food situation first. And besides- it sounds like it's roasting hot where you live, no fun. I like your plan to add in some walking when you can. After a few weeks or even months when you've figured out the food thing, you can start adding in movement that you enjoy doing.

Hope that helps!

• diddlywiddly
    diddlywiddly Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks guys, I'll grab a coconut water on the way home. I'm sure it's just adjusting to a much lower sodium/fat/simple sugar content that's throwing me off. I still live for coffee and my calorie count is just over 2000... a big reduction but still a good amount. I am also a bit short on sleep because we're in the middle of a heat wave and it makes it really hard to get to sleep at my normal time. Today has been a bit easier than the first two days where I was just insanely hungry, full of cravings and really headachey. Don't get me wrong.. right now I'm hungry and wishing for a grilled cheese sandwich and onion rings but i'm just a bit groggy with a fuzzy sort of headache. If I can just hang in for a few more days I can feel better habits forming already. I also am REALLY liking that I can already see my bank account balance not dropping by $40 a day in takeout and junk food!

I like the tip for buying the pre-portioned cheese bits or portioning it ahead of time. Just knowing how high fat/calorie it is has got me straightened out for now but it's nice to be able to keep it in my diet in small amounts, it's so delicious!

oh wait.. I forgot, I quit smoking! ha! three days ago as well. But I was already weaned down to 1 or 2 a day so that wasn't a huge change.. just huge in the sense that I'm finally free of that disgusting habit.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Unfortunately, it can be scary when you see what you have been doing in clear view. Headache, I would try the electrolytes idea and a cup of tea/coffee in case it's caffeine.

It can be a struggle with cravings when you are making big changes. It shouldn't last more than a week, if you try to knuckle through. Personally, I like to fit things in. Have the take away once in a while. If It's not "off limits" you'll be less likely to be overwhelmed by cravings.

Be patient and kind with yourself. Play with your protein, fat, and carb ratios. I increased both protein and fat targets and consider those a minimum. And I eat more fibrous veggies to feel fuller on fewer calories. Everyone is a little different. It may take some time to figure it out for yourself.
  • kimberlymacg
    kimberlymacg Posts: 5 Member
    I've been using my fitbit and going for short walks every hour when it reminds me to move. It's very hot here too now but this is bearable and I'm getting in 35 minutes of walking that way. Stick with the diet changes and not smoking. A lot of your symptoms will soon pass and you'll feel a lot better.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Try reducing your calories a little at a time and give your body a chance to adjust. You don't have to do it all at once. As far as exercise, even if you start with 10 minutes a day, you are still likely doing more than what you have been doing. Could you put on some music and just dance around the house or take an early morning walk? Don't let yourself get overwhelmed.
  • diddlywiddly
    Thanks for your responses. Yeah I'm going to try and sneak in more activity like walking to the subway instead of taking the bus in the morning since it's relatively cool in the mornings. Once it cools off around here I'll start longer walks in the evening and there are community centres close and a low-cost/no-frills gym walking distance from home to look into. I think hiding at the back of a community centre zumba class might be the way to start. :D

I'm not super low on calories by any means, yesterday logged at 2300 because i'm not aware of how certain foods can be high calorie (pasta I love you, why do you do this to me?) and my hunger is so high that i'm eating lots. I'm just trying for now to make my own food for the most part to build that habit and then worry about finding ways to lower calories as i log food and see where the calories are sneaking in. At my weight 2500 calories would maintain my weight at my current activity levels so I figure for starting out if I can stay at all under that then I'm a successful beginner.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I really like that you aren't being impatient with the process. We all want quick results, but that doesn't set us up for the life long habits that will be needed in maintenance.

For reducing calories (I love pasta too), I make my same recipes (mostly), but add extra vegetables, smaller amounts of meat and/or cheese. That allows me to either take a larger serving for the same calories or a same size serving for fewer calories (depending on how many I have left). It takes some time. But experimenting with food can be lots of fun.
  • chicknsun
    chicknsun Posts: 13 Member
    I'm new too. Lost 20 lbs since June 22. I am on low carbs. I went thru what I would call carb withdrawal. Everything I ate before was carbs...Everything. I am sure there were days I was over 4000 calories a day. It gets better but I am hungry still. I am supposed to be doing 1200 calories a day..but I have been under that for 2 weeks. (Medical issues and got sick but it's better now). I am doing less than 120g of carbs, 63g protein, and minimum of 1200 calories a day (more if I go workout). I eat my cheese and dairy products..they aren't bad on carbs. Just gotta figure in the calories. Maybe this could work for you. I am new, like I said..I am still learning too. It's real good to know i am not alone in trying to figure all this out.
  • chicknsun
    chicknsun Posts: 13 Member
    Sorry.. minimum protein 63g..more is better on protein.
  • mizzk38748
    mizzk38748 Posts: 4 Member
    Congratulations on starting log and minimizing those calories! I know I was probably close to 3000 myself and I'm proud to say my calorie count is under 1100 most of the days. I'm trying a low carb, high fat program. Keto based to help me burn more calories. Fat is very filling and the salt and electrolyte tip from someone above is definitely a good tip. Keep at it. Wish you luck.
  • diddlywiddly
    Yes, there is definitely a learning curve. I sadly just saw the amount of sodium in cottage cheese and now I'm sad. The brand that's available here makes a near sodium free dry curd version but that sounds kind of awful.. will have to give it a go though!

I agree, less pasta and more veg for me. I don't eat meat but I do use things like tofu and meat substitutes. They generally are low fat but higher on the sodium side... and some are super processed/million unpronounceable ingredients
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Both nicotine and caffeine withdrawal comes with headaches.