I turn into a psycho "snacker" after dinner - HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of calories at night and go to bed full and always have. I like nuts, cottage cheese, milk, fruit. My diary is open for more specifics
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I plan for my nighttime snack and eat over 1/3rd of my calories in it. Usually high volume things- watermelon, veggies, low calorie yogurt, protein bar, and prunes
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I usually prelog my evening snacks because I look forward to those snacks then I usually make my other meals around them. So I may want a individual bag of chips/diet coke and a serving of ice cream. I prelog those then watch my calories.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am trying a new technique and thought I'd share. For dinner I made a GIANT low calorie (300 cal.) salad. Its spicy and full of veggies. Its so bulky and spicy, I can't eat it in one sitting. I keep snacking on it, and will not eat anything else, unless it is gone. This should hold me until bedtime and put me at a strong deficit for the day.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I eat a several snacks after dinner. I just plan ahead so that I have the calories to do so. This is what I had tonight:

23lrrnn1vvzw.png

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    wyeth84 wrote: »
    I carefully watch my macros and do "so well" during the day. Then most nights all hell breaks loose! What are some snacks you have found to help curb the after dinner sweet tooth? (more like T-rex fangs in my case :'( ) I could definitely use a boost of protein/fats while at it... I don't do well with whey based protein shakes (which seemed like the optimal win win option).
    Heeeeeeelp a sista in need

Pork rinds with salsa or hot sauce. Cottage cheese is another good low calorie source of protein.

• PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm like @mjrc2. I make a very large salad of raw vegetables and take a very long time eating it. Doing that seems to satisfy what I describe as a nervous chewing reflex, at least long enough for my head to figure out that I've eaten a satisfying dinner and am not really hungry any more. I'm hoping that in doing this I am able to rewire some really bad habits.

My doctor referred me to a registered dietician, and I gave her some print outs of my food consumption. When I mentioned that I had difficulty with evening munchies, she suggested I increase my protein consumption at breakfast and add a serving of either starch or grain to my lunch. Prior to seeing her I was trying to save extra calories for evenings. Since incorporating her suggestions, I haven't had a single incident of my evening snack-attacks that I couldn't fight off.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might need to be eating more during the day so you are full and satisfied. If snacking is just a "habit" then stopping cold turkey is what you'll need to do. Unless you are willing to indulge in extra calories then I'd say fill up during the day, or make sure you have enough calories left in the bank for some after dinner snacks. I try to keep myself busy after dinner so and ALL food is out of site so I don't go back for anything. But, let's face it, some nights you just want a cookie or three.
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I've been finding lower calorie options for my earlier meals so I have some buffer for the evening. I'm also doing my best not to buy ice cream because that's my biggest weakness!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I save ~300 calories for ice cream or chocolate every night. I gotta have dessert or I freak out and binge eventually.

This!

Halo Top/Enlightened can range anywhere from 270-400 calories at the most. Edy's (getting harder to find this brand) has low calorie ice creams that range from 90-160 calories per serving. The Edy's Slow Patch Pumpkin tastes great & is 90 calories.

Also there are a ton of recipes online for protein desserts/ice creams, single serving mug cakes, & I'm sure there a lot for savory.