Protein Shakes - When?

Options
I work PM shift 2:30pm-10:30pm. I get home around midnight, after my horrible commute, and that’s when I start my cardio, which as of lately is 10-30 miles on the bike. (Love the empty roads at this hour!) My question is, when should I take my protein shake? I find if I chug it before the ride, I cramp up. If I take it after the ride, I’m chugging it before bed. Any insight?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    What’s wrong with having it before bed...??
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    What’s wrong with having it before bed...??

Up every 2 hours peeing?

OP, can you make it with a smaller volume? Or half before and half after? Do you really even need it?
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    if you pee every 2 hours after a protein shake, you might consider not to buy that *kitten* *kitten* anymore!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you’re not getting adequate protein intake over the course of the day and need to supplement with a protein shake, drink it whenever works best for you. Adequate protein intake is important, the timing of when you get it much less so. Nutrient timing is irrelevant for about 99.9% of people.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    if you pee every 2 hours after a protein shake, you might consider not to buy that *kitten* *kitten* anymore!

It was a guess. I tend to limit my liquids the hour before bed.

AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you’re not getting adequate protein intake over the course of the day and need to supplement with a protein shake, drink it whenever works best for you. Adequate protein intake is important, the timing of when you get it much less so. Nutrient timing is irrelevant for about 99.9% of people.

Thank you. That's what I was getting at, in a poorly stated way.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Are you able to drink it on your commute home? That way you can get it before the ride, feel full, but hopefully it's enough time to let it settle before your ride.
  • JasonDee1989
    JasonDee1989 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    With a little more belly fat to lose, I wasn’t sure if drinking it post-ride/before bed would have any negative effects.
  • JasonDee1989
    Options
    Current diet has me around 130 grams of protein through the day. I figured the extra 30 in the shake would help with not losing muscle from all the cardio and help with recovery. I’m new at the nutrition end of all this.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't chug it. That would make anyone's stomach feel uneasy. Either drink it on your drive home or as soon as you get back from your bike but before you shower and get ready for bed.

Or, find something to replace the shake. Maybe you're cramping up because of the shake itself.
  • JasonDee1989
    Options
    Could be. I took it before a 31 mile ride and my stomach cramped from 10-25 miles in. I’ll start taking it after and see if it affects me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Current diet has me around 130 grams of protein through the day. I figured the extra 30 in the shake would help with not losing muscle from all the cardio and help with recovery. I’m new at the nutrition end of all this.

None. As Anvil said above, nutrient timing is irrelevant for 99.9% of people. Have it whenever you prefer. Some like protein shakes before bed. Some don't. Have at any time during the day that suits you.

Meant to quote the post above the one I quoted.
  • JasonDee1989
    Options
    Thanks all! Appreciate the help.
  • Miss_Snow_White
    Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually have mine for breakfast or lunch. (Regardless of what time of day that maybe for me)
  • JasonDee1989
    Options
    One more question.....

Would it make more sense to have casein protein as opposed to the whey, since I’ll be taking it before bed?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    One more question.....

Would it make more sense to have casein protein as opposed to the whey, since I’ll be taking it before bed?

In theory, maybe.

In practicality, it’s not going to make a difference unless you’re a bodybuilder at about 99% of your genetic potential and are struggling for that last 1%. It’s what is often referred to as “majoring in the minors”. Again, overall protein consumption is going to matter more than timing.

[ETA:] A recent study regarding the timing of casein consumption: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-018-0228-9
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I take mine with breakfast every day. And sometimes after dinner if my protein is low for the day. I would have no trouble taking one before bed either, although I usually stop eating earlier. I always use whey, not casein, because I buy mine at the grocery store and that is what they have. That and I'm cheap, I'm not going to buy different proteins for different times of day. I'm not like a competitive athlete or anything. Switching between chocolate and vanilla is enough switching for me.

I recently discovered nut milks for mixing instead of regular milk (don't like it in water), and it's fabulous.