My weight is increasing

Options
hateapples
hateapples Posts: 28 Member
xktzljickcmh.jpeg

I weigh daily so I know this isn’t just fluctuations but a consistent pattern so far. I started a week ago and so far I’ve gained weight every day, up 2.1kg which is 4.6lb in the first week.

I set MFP up saying that I want to lose 0.5kg per week and that I am the lowest level of active, and have been weighing everything with scales, inputting my recipes, and sticking to the calories (other than going a bit over yesterday as couldn’t estimate a buffet lunch).

So why am I gaining weight. I thought people get a big drop in the first week not a big gain. Clearly I should drop my calories but worried that will only stop me gaining. It’s going to be hard to stick to a lower number of calories unless I see results.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Pregnant? Close to TOM? Sodium? New exercise routine?

A week isn't much time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I agree you need more time. But you also need to weigh your food correctly, and log the correct amounts, and log everything, and use valid entries. What's your calorie target? Are you eating a strange diet? Either way, you need more patience.
  • hateapples
    Options
    100% not pregnant, and my sodium will probably have reduced with counting calories as I’ve been cooking more. I know it isn’t much time but if I’m taking in less calories than my body needs then surely that should mean my body has no other option than to burn fat. I thought weight loss is supposed to be simple formula of if calories in is less than calories out then you lose weight.
  • hateapples
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    hateapples wrote: »
    100% not pregnant, and my sodium will probably have reduced with counting calories as I’ve been cooking more. I know it isn’t much time but if I’m taking in less calories than my body needs then surely that should mean my body has no other option than to burn fat. I thought weight loss is supposed to be simple formula of if calories in is less than calories out then you lose weight.
    That is true, but it's over the long term. There are many variables that can mask fat loss so you need to look at the big picture.

Here's a 3 month span where I was at or below my calorie goal every day. I concentrated on the process and I knew that the weight loss would eventually show since I was doing what I need to do over time.

p59ihfy53th3.jpg

Thanks that helps. It’s just very demotivating to see pretty much everyone else have big losses in the first week and here I am gaining more weight counting and restricting calories than I did when I was eating whatever I wanted.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    [quote="seska422;c-42449685"
    Comparison is the thief of joy.
    [/quote]

That might be the most accurate description I have ever read. I never thought about it that way, but I'll be damned if it isn't true! Thank you.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I know it isn’t much time but if I’m taking in less calories than my body needs then surely that should mean my body has no other option than to burn fat. I thought weight loss is supposed to be simple formula of if calories in is less than calories out then you lose weight.
    It does, and it is, but 1) you have to give the process enough time to let fat loss show through water weight fluctuations, and 2) CICO is based on valid data being put in.
    It’s just very demotivating to see pretty much everyone else have big losses in the first week
    Don't compare yourself to others, and think of the long run. You will be able to stick to a slow weight loss rate. Would you rather yoyo?
    and here I am gaining more weight counting and restricting calories than I did when I was eating whatever I wanted.
    That's why I asked if you were eating a strange diet. A feeling of restiction (in quantity, but also in quality) makes people resentful, and that's when they start to sabotage themselves. Eat whatever you want. You just have to eat less.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options
    Just posted this in another thread. Here's an example from me from the beginning of the year. Weight always fluctuates even in a constant deficit, and even more so if you're a woman. Nothing you can do about it other than accept it.

x22epybyuful.png

• hateapples
    Options
    I know it isn’t much time but if I’m taking in less calories than my body needs then surely that should mean my body has no other option than to burn fat. I thought weight loss is supposed to be simple formula of if calories in is less than calories out then you lose weight.
    It does, and it is, but 1) you have to give the process enough time to let fat loss show through water weight fluctuations, and 2) CICO is based on valid data being put in.
    It’s just very demotivating to see pretty much everyone else have big losses in the first week
    Don't compare yourself to others, and think of the long run. You will be able to stick to a slow weight loss rate. Would you rather yoyo?
    and here I am gaining more weight counting and restricting calories than I did when I was eating whatever I wanted.
    That's why I asked if you were eating a strange diet. A feeling of restiction (in quantity, but also in quality) makes people resentful, and that's when they start to sabotage themselves. Eat whatever you want. You just have to eat less.

Hiya. Think previous reply to you vanished. I’m not eating a strange diet, haven’t tried overhauling my diet to different foods etc yet, I’m just eating the same as I was before but with smaller portions, less snacks, not eating takeaways and smaller amounts of the high calorie things I’d usually add to food like butter and cheese. I am always very obsessive when I am counting calories and am confident I am counting accurately, I weigh everything. There has been one thing I could not count so I estimated then used the quick add guess calorie amount to note to myself that for that meal I couldn’t accurately count calories, so that i know if I’m looking back.

I didn’t feel resentful until it got to today really, as a few days of higher weight is normal when weighing daily, but seeing it creep up every day for over a week is offputting. Hopefully it will decrease soon as if it keeps increasing I expect I’ll struggle mentally to stick to counting and eating low calorie all the time etc.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's early days, weight fluctuates for everyone. heck yesterday I was 3lbs up on the day before, and today back down - that's how it goes.
    If you're consistently tracking your calorie intake, give it time because when you're eating at calorie deficit you will lose weight.