I feel like I have zero time to exercise, also I frickin hate it

Options
1235»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Stop lying and saying you have no time to do it. Experiment with different "activities" and stick with it. If you've ever exercised in your life...you got this good feeling that made you think in a positive way after you were done exercising and it probably fueled an idea.
    ..why wouldnt you want that feeling? Find an activity like running or biking and learn to love it rather than dread it. You probably arent as exhausted as you say, at least not all the time.

Look up on YouTube for things to do to get your body moving. Cut the BS excuses because exercising can be fun if you take away that lazy mindset. Granted, exercise alone isnt going to make you lose weight so if you want to focus on weight loss then learn to control your diet. You dont need to excersise to lose weight and with that you wont have to waste time on doing something you dread.

Sorry for the bluntness, I just read it as excuses and whining.

As I said before, my question was less "Can someone please accuse me of lying about my time priorities to motivate me into getting off my a** and join a gym" and more "hey, I know that I have a tough time motivating myself to go to the gym. What are some of your suggestions and ideas that have helped you work physical activity into your regular day?"

If you read my words carefully, I said that I "feel" like I don't have time for the gym, because my enjoyable hobbies, such as music and crafting, are pretty sedentary. I didn't claim that I have no time at all. And instead of making assumptions about me, such as your assumption that I haven't been controlling my diet or that I'm not as exhausted as I say I am, you could ask clarifying questions if you feel like giving advice.

Sorry for the bluntness, I just read your response as accusatory and unhelpful.

You are first going to have to realize that to get more activity into your day you will have to reduce some sedentary time. Simple math no matter if the activity is gym time or "regular life".

You have been given many good suggestions, walk or bike to work (or part way), park further away whenever you leave your car, cut your own grass (or other physical chores) instead of hiring out, etc.

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Walking outside is wonderful, but I just can't fathom purposeful exercise. I think my attitude is mostly coming from being exhausted after work, and wanting to save my evenings and weekends for fun activities (alone or with friends).

I guess I should think of ways to work activity into my regular day, but I'm so reluctant to start. Do you guys have success adding in physical activity to your day, besides going to the gym?

What do you consider the fun activities you want to save your evenings for, vegging on a couch watching a tube? If so, don't say you don't have time for exercise.

There are plenty of people who have kids, work a full day, do household chores, etc and still have time for purposeful exercise.

If you are too tired after work, workout before you go to work.

I fully understand there are busier people than myself. I didn't say I don't have time for exercise, I said that I want to save my time for stuff I find enjoyable (which is not exercising).

In short, yes I love vegging on a couch. I love knitting, I love sewing, I love playing piano, I love playing bass, I love reading.

My question is less "please tell me to work out!" and more "I'm interested in hearing your suggestions and ideas for fitting natural physical activity into a regular day."

In short, stand. I set my sewing machine up at standing height and haven't really missed sitting. It's better for my posture, and just by its nature I'm burning more calories. Play bass standing. Knit standing up. Actually I've seen a couple of people who knit while walking. Couldn't do it myself, but an option.

Reading: I know some people say they can read while walking or on a stationary bike, personally, unless I'm super engaged at that bit, I find this very difficult. However, something I've been doing recently is walking outside to a bench and reading there. If the weather is good, I love reading outside. If you're near a park, walk to the park and read your book there. Reach the end of a chapter? Walk to the next bench and the continue. You'll look a little odd to outsiders, but you'll be getting in extra steps.

In all seriousness though, the easiest way to fit extra exercise in (excluding starting an activity), is to just try and walk more. How do you get to work? Bus? Get off a stop earlier and walk the rest of the distance. Drive? Park further away. Could you consider cycling to work? Could you go for a quick walk at lunch to get out of the office? Do you have the option to use a different bathroom or coffee machine at work? I often use the ones downstairs. It adds about 150 steps to my journey to the coffee machine and goes up and down stairs. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when you add that up over the course of a day I'm getting an extra about 900 steps in by just doing that. That's the equivalent of about 9 minutes walking.

All awesome ideas! Thanks so much, I have already started playing bass standing up and walking around because it gives me a better playing posture anyway. =D
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I think I may get my boyfriend to dust off the stationary bike. I can catch up on news and move my legs at the same time, right?

This is certainly a strategy that can work. My father who is in incredible shape and 68 watches movies while on his elliptical. He watches a lot of movies. ;)

What are you goals though? How much you "exercise" and the types of exercise you do are going to be highly dependent on your expected outcome.

My goal is really weight-loss at this point. I started at 230 lbs and I am down to 204 now through eating at a calorie deficit and being more mindful of my macro nutrients (decreasing carbs, increasing protein, etc). I would like to just continue at the rate of weight-loss I've set, but I know there will eventually be a plateau when my body gets to a more normal weight. That's why I'm looking to add in some more physical activity now and get into a habit of it, to help counteract some of that possibility of plateau. I also have read a lot about how increased physical activity helps you stay healthier as you get older.

Just as an aside:

Speaking as someone who's already fairly old (62), with friends who are also pretty old (+/- 10 years, mostly), this is absolutely clearly true, to me. It's being played out all around me. Not just health, but options for how you live your life, and not just exercise but excess weight. Both matter.

Some (obese or overweight, long-term inactive) friends my age can't do routine chores without help from their kids (flip a mattress, weed the garden, paint a room, etc.) - literally physically incapable. They can't do many fun things like art fairs, music festivals, sporting events, because they can't handle walking more than a couple hundred yards (and that would be a lot for them) or using extensive stairs (like in an arena). (It makes me sad that that we can't do those things together.) Some (healthy weight, long-term active) friends 10+ years older than me can do anything, including not just their chores and any routine fun activity you could name, but also run a 5K (or more), skydive, row for miles, or pretty much anything they set their minds to.

The overweight/out of shape people are sick more often, have more complications, need more surgeries, recover more slowly/poorly from them and get more infections and such while doing so, need to take more medications (that interact with each other to their detriment, and cost a bundle). The overweight/out of shape people's lives cost more for buying services they need but can't do themselves, medical expenses, etc. There are things they can't eat because of drug interactions or physical problems (gall bladder issues, diabetes, GERD, gout, etc.).

The healthy-weight/active people have relatively more discretionary income to spend on things they enjoy (vacations, etc.), and the ability to actively enjoy them. They can go out and eat and drink freely, for special occasions.

When you're older, life is likely to be literally more affordable, more independent, and more fun for most people who are at a healthy weight and able to be active.

I could go on and on. It's real.

I'm not trying to be scary or negative, but I'd like to see younger people realize this, and do things now that are kinder to their future selves. I mean it as encouragement, because you're on an improving course, and the impact on quality of your future life is likely to be very, very real. It's just hard to see in the moment, when current selves are clamoring for lounge-around time or a slice of cake. ;)

Best wishes!

Thanks for this. That is my biggest motivator for staying active (I'm 29) My grandma is in very poor health, can't get around very well, is suffering what I suspect to be dementia, etc. while her twin sister who was always very active and more healthy throughout her life seems to be doing just fine. She can get around much better, she still plays tennis, and her mind is all there.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    There is never time to exercise until you do it; and then there is. If you don't like it, you won't do it. Either find something you like, or just don't do it.
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising. I don't like to sweat. If I had the choice, I would sleep/watch TV 16 hours a day.

To combat this, I had to trick my brain. Now I only indulge in my favorite show when I'm on the treadmill. It keeps me going to the gym because I want to know what happens to my favorite characters.

Pairing your exercise with something you love might help.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I used to be more sedentary and all the things I loved to do were sedentary I thought. Except as I started having a step goal and walking much more how I enjoy activities has changed.
    I spend less time doing activities that require me to be seated for long periods and when I do them I am more likely to get up and walk around for a few minutes every now and then. I read e-books or listen to music or podcasts while I walk around my house. If I watch a movie/tv show I might just walk around during it now. I walk around while food is cooking or I am waiting for the washing machine to finish. I walk to appointments or the park more often. I haven't joined a gym but I am much more willing to do a workout video or something.

You might find that if you just walk more throughout the day that you will eventually want to move more in other ways.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I hate exercise too, so empathize. I’m always busy and so struggled to find time. What I ultimately decided to do was get up 30 minutes earlier than usual. Could you try getting up earlier perhaps? Or exercise on a lunch break ? Just walking counts. I’m lucky in that I have a work gym, but honestly, walking doesn’t require a gym.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You can lift weights, I enjoy doing it, I've done it for about a year now and haven't taken a week off yet.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As this thread is about personal preferences, let me share mine:

I think it is annoying as hell to be trying to fit extra exercise into everyday life when you could just take that time and knock out a 30minute workout. Doesn't have to be a gym. A walk, some yoga, buy some $5 resistance bands...w/e. The time spent walking further to and from your car at work or using a stationary bike while reading/tv watching could just as easily be used dedicated to fitness, then you dedicate yourself to whatever fun activity you plan on the rest of the time.

Why do two things poorly together, when you can do two things to peak separately?

Now, if riding that stationary bike doesn't interfere with your reading/tv/knitting or w/e it is, then by all means combine the *kitten* out of them.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    This has been an interesting conversation. I can agree with a lot that AnnPT has said. I am older (68) and not near as active as she is, but I do try to walk at least everyday, even though my hobbies are pretty similar to yours. (well, except the musical instrument, lol). I walk on the treadmill while I watch TV, but prefer to walk outside. It does help being retired, so I have the time, but I also see too many people my age that can't do a lot of physical activity or enjoyable things. After breaking my leg 8 years ago, I was told I will probably develop arthritis in that knee...so I am trying to avoid that. I want to be able to keep doing things with my kids and grandkids!
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Walking outside is wonderful, but I just can't fathom purposeful exercise. I think my attitude is mostly coming from being exhausted after work, and wanting to save my evenings and weekends for fun activities (alone or with friends).

I guess I should think of ways to work activity into my regular day, but I'm so reluctant to start. Do you guys have success adding in physical activity to your day, besides going to the gym?

What do you consider the fun activities you want to save your evenings for, vegging on a couch watching a tube? If so, don't say you don't have time for exercise.

There are plenty of people who have kids, work a full day, do household chores, etc and still have time for purposeful exercise.

If you are too tired after work, workout before you go to work.

I fully understand there are busier people than myself. I didn't say I don't have time for exercise, I said that I want to save my time for stuff I find enjoyable (which is not exercising).

In short, yes I love vegging on a couch. I love knitting, I love sewing, I love playing piano, I love playing bass, I love reading.

My question is less "please tell me to work out!" and more "I'm interested in hearing your suggestions and ideas for fitting natural physical activity into a regular day."

I listen to audiobooks during my cardio!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    2 weeks ago, I finally started doing SOME physical activity. Since I have an hour between when my BF goes to work and when I go, upon waking up I change immediately into my spots bra and shorts and do 5 minutes of circuit training. I have been doing this 3 days per week, and I hope that it's sustainable! I just bought ankle weights and some small dumbbells to help me increase the difficulty of the workout each time. Doesn't burn many calories, but it is kinda cool to see that I can do something a little better each time I try.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Just something that works for me...I don't take any 'chill' time when I get home from work. I immediately change into workout clothes and go get it. If I sit down in a chair or on the couch I'm done, my get up and go is gone!

I set daily goals, but tell myself I can quit anytime I want. Giving myself the freedom to walk instead of run or do 2 sets instead of 3 is liberating. I rarely stop short, but I may slow my pace of lift less.