What is your pre-race routine?

What do you do? Why or what impact does it have on you? Thank you very much in advance.

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    edited August 2018
    What kind of race lol? I have a pre-race routine, but doubt it applies too much to runners.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I don't do anything special. I usually eat breakfast (coffee and cereal or a bagel) about 2 hours before the race. I head to the start area about an hour ahead to check in and get bib/timing chip. Go to the bathroom. If it's a short race I'll do a 1-2 mile warmup and stretch. For a longer one (HM and marathon) I just stretch, walk a bit, and talk to the other runners. I'll go to the bathroom again just before the race starts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I set out my race kit the night before.

Day of the race: Drink 2 pints of water, eat breakfast around 90 minutes before the race, poop, nervous poop, run....
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I get all my stuff ready the night before. I’m not a morning person so I would forget one shoe or something. I eat breakfast (or not-depending on the distance) as usual.

I drive to the place-I’m always lost but just follow the cars with the 13.1 & 26.2 stickers.

I pee about 17394995 times. And if it’s a half or longer, I’ll still have to pee during the race.

Then I go have some sort of nervous seizure by the starting area and then we go and it’s all fine.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    Pack/prep gear the night before.

Wake up time is 20 minutes before I have to leave for said race. I don't do any stretching or warmup or anything like that. Eat a clif bar before anything longer than 90 minutes, nothing before anything shorter than that. Inevitably, I have to poop at some point, so I take care of that.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Lay out race kit the night before. Pack race bag.

Get up early and take the first of many pre-race pees. Have a small cup of coffee for that caffeine boost. Breakfast is two slices of toast with honey and PB around two hours before race time. Poop (I panic if I don't have a pre-race poop). Another pee or two.

Head out to the race and get checked in. Find the porta-potties. Join the queue for the porta-potties. Panic that I won't be able to have one last pee before the race starts.

Join the start line. Surreptitiously check out people who might be in my age-group. Panic that my Garmin won't find a satellite before the race starts. Wonder if I can have another pee.

Basically there's a lot of peeing and panicking and then I run.

I’m glad I’m not the only one.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member

Get up early and take the first of many pre-race pees. Have a small cup of coffee for that caffeine boost. Breakfast is two slices of toast with honey and PB around two hours before race time. Poop (I panic if I don't have a pre-race poop). Another pee or two.

Head out to the race and get checked in. Find the porta-potties. Join the queue for the porta-potties. Panic that I won't be able to have one last pee before the race starts.

Join the start line. Surreptitiously check out people who might be in my age-group. Panic that my Garmin won't find a satellite before the race starts. Wonder if I can have another pee.

The bolded is why I coffee before a race...
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Like I think I would seriously consider Imodium before a race if I didn't poop beforehand.
  • TavistockToad
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Like I think I would seriously consider Imodium before a race if I didn't poop beforehand.

I was heading to the toilets for my last pre race (half marathon) pee and a girl walking along side me said "I'm having a nightmare morning..."

Me: oh no, why?!

Her: I haven't pooped yet....

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I always drink a sugar free Red Bull before a race. Not sure why, but I did it once and had a great race, so I stuck with it. Funny thing is, this is the only time I drink them. I am not saying that it's a good idea (it very well may be a bad idea), but it's what I do.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member

. . . poop, nervous poop, run....
    LOL exactly! What is up with that? Guess I'm not alone.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member

I was heading to the toilets for my last pre race (half marathon) pee and a girl walking along side me said "I'm having a nightmare morning..."

My. Worst. Nightmare.
  • TavistockToad

My. Worst. Nightmare.

Agreed. Thankfully my poop, nervous poop hasn't let me down yet! :laugh:
  • amsuraj
    amsuraj Posts: 43 Member

The bolded is why I coffee before a race...

me too! haha
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Ahahha terrific thread thank you for starting this :)

First race tomorrow so I am already nervous and don't have a "system" yet :P It's a 10k night race (9pm!) so I don't have the early wake-up issue (but also means a full day of thinking of just the race!)

I do nervous pre-run pee's before group runs so I imagine I will spend most of my pre-race time at the porta potties...I hadn't even THOUGHT of the pooping thing. I suspect that will be more of a concern for my next race (yes there are already a few "next races") Sept 9th which will be my first "morning" race.

I have some glow "necklace and bracelet" and will pick up one to go on my shoe. plus the mandatory head lamp - so I will be decked out much more than usual...

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member

I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Me too! Best advice I've gotten is to pee when I get there, and then if the lines are long, get back in line to go again. Not following this advice is how I found out exactly how gross beach bathrooms are. (The starting line was closer to the beach bathroom than it was to the porta-potties set up specifically for the race). This is also why I started packing those travel packs of tissues in my race kit.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I'm jealous of how little pre-race routine some of you have! Perhaps I go overboard.

Day before, I pretty much eat noodles and other simple pastas, peanut butter and honey sandwiches and some chicken breasts. All of it cooked/made myself. I don't want to risk food poisoning and have to flush 18-20 weeks of training down the toilet, literally. I also drink as much as I can of water with carb powder. I lay out my clothes and attach the bib. I also load up whatever I'm carrying my Gu in for the race

Day of, I get up at least three hours early and start right away with a cup of coffee and peanut butter, honey sandwich on white bread. Maybe a banana or two as well, depending on how my stomach feels. Then another cup of coffee. Hopefully by this time I'm feeling the urge to drop that deuce (funny how many of us base our morning routine on having a good BM. lol). All this time I'm drinking water (distilled). About an hour before I call for the Uber I quit drinking and start prepping. This includes a generous application of BodyGlide to various parts of my body as well as a generous application of Desitin (if you have to ask, well, don't ask me. hahaha). Then I get dressed and wait until it's time to call the Uber. Once I get there I basically just line up at the porta-johns, pee, and if there's a line I get right back in line and keep on peeing, even if I don't feel the urge. When they call for people to line up I get in my corral and I'm golden. If it's cold I have a throw-away jacket and possible cap that I keep on until I'm warm and then toss to the side. Once I'm running all that pre-race anxiety floats away and I actually start to enjoy myself.

• TavistockToad
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I'm jealous of how little pre-race routine some of you have! Perhaps I go overboard.

Day before, I pretty much eat noodles and other simple pastas, peanut butter and honey sandwiches and some chicken breasts. All of it cooked/made myself. I don't want to risk food poisoning and have to flush 18-20 weeks of training down the toilet, literally. I also drink as much as I can of water with carb powder. I lay out my clothes and attach the bib. I also load up whatever I'm carrying my Gu in for the race

Day of, I get up at least three hours early and start right away with a cup of coffee and peanut butter, honey sandwich on white bread. Maybe a banana or two as well, depending on how my stomach feels. Then another cup of coffee. Hopefully by this time I'm feeling the urge to drop that deuce (funny how many of us base our morning routine on having a good BM. lol). All this time I'm drinking water (distilled). About an hour before I call for the Uber I quit drinking and start prepping. This includes a generous application of BodyGlide to various parts of my body as well as a generous application of Desitin (if you have to ask, well, don't ask me. hahaha). Then I get dressed and wait until it's time to call the Uber. Once I get there I basically just line up at the porta-johns, pee, and if there's a line I get right back in line and keep on peeing, even if I don't feel the urge. When they call for people to line up I get in my corral and I'm golden. If it's cold I have a throw-away jacket and possible cap that I keep on until I'm warm and then toss to the side. Once I'm running all that pre-race anxiety floats away and I actually start to enjoy myself.

I'm presuming that's not for a 5k?! :laugh:
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I'm presuming that's not for a 5k?! :laugh:

@TavistockToad, of course not! Geez. What do you think I am, an amateur? It's a 10k. :smiley: