3rd times a charm 👍 PCOS sucks...

Options
Well...since 2011 I've been up and down with my weight. This is also the 3rd time since then I've started over with the mfp app.😂
Heres the story. I have PCOS. Meaning my body doesn't like me. So over time I've went to drs trying to explain to them...its not just that easy to lose the way others do. So I would log everything that I ate, the workouts and everything that goes with it. Try to prove that I wasn't crazy..I would drop about 10 lbs get down to 200 and then stop. Loose no inches, no weight.nada.i would give it 6 months at a time..so I would give up and gain those 10 lbs back. At one point I was on metformin and it made me just sick to my stomach..I couldn't eat anything without it coming out one way or another...and I lost 30 lbs...I refused to take to anymore..gainedit all back....finally last year someone listened. Like wholey crap!! After having 2 beautiful girls(after being told I'd never be able to get pregnant. God had a plan for me). Crazy painful long menstrual cycles since I was 13. I got a hysterectomy, they left my ovaries but unfortunately they did not wake up, I am 29 and going through menopause. Ive been on hormone therapy and spironolactone for 3 months. But it has come as a blessing. Which is very strange to say. But... I'm finally losing. In these last 3 months I've lost those 10 lbs again and still dropping.. So today I decided to log back on in. There is finally hope. I feel like if I put in the real effort itll work this time and stick. I want to feel healthy and strong. It's not about the weight anymore. Its about feeling good and being able to keep up with my husband and girls.

Replies

• Cathcat07
    Cathcat07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most definitely!!!! And thank You!!! The biggest thing I've learned over the years is adjusting from focusing on the weight/scale/inches to the thought process of okay I'm doing this to be healthier and stronger. Learning to love the body I'm in bc the whole I'm going to fit into those skinny Jean's, crop top, or dress. I honestly do it anyways. It doesn't mean that I'm not going to better myself. But it's the better you feel now the more motivated you will be.im the one who decides to eat the small piece of cake and gain 5 lbs.😂😂
  • Dznygurl76
    Dznygurl76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi there, My dr tried telling me I had PCOS but I honestly dont think I do. She only said that because I get ovarian cysts. Ive had 3 kids all really easily. She did put me on Metformin but I stopped taking it. Why are you taking Spironoloctone? I take it also but I take it for my blood pressure. I was just wondering what it does for PCOS.
  • Cathcat07
    Options
    I was having horrible hair loss with a few bald patches in the front of my head and cystic acne that was extremely painful and I really didnt want to get on accutane. In other words it helps with hairloss/growth acne and water weight. Its supposed to be similar to taking metformin.So my dr prescribed a low dose. Rn I'm only taking 50mg. But it's done wonders.
  • Cathcat07
    Options
    Oh and also pcos is considered as a endocrine disorder where your body produces too many androgen hormones among other things..And shows its ugly face in different ways than others. Some it can just be one or two symptoms...cysts, extra hair, weight gain, painful menstrual cycles (mine would last for 100 days+ or none at all),infertility.. I got the bad end of the deal and got a bit of everything. Lol. But the drs can tell by looking at the type of cysts you have through ultrasound. The only other way is by a blood test. Theres really not alot of drs that are educated on it and put it all into one category but it's not that simple or researched enough.
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey I have PCOS too, diagnosed when I was 16. I'm 28 now and it's been a big rollercoaster with weight, emotions, all of it. Body hair, infertility, non-existent periods or periods that last for weeks. Ugh. I seem to have finally found the nutrition balance I need, I aim for my macro goals to be 30% protein and 35% each fat and carbs. I also eat whole grains as much as possible (no white bread, pasta, rice) and try to eat less processed foods, though I'm far from perfect. I have been losing weight steadily, down 13lbs. in the last 50 days, which is the most success I've had in a long time. I just stopped taking the birth control pill a couple weeks ago and I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping this new way of eating and using supplements will keep things balanced. Personally I didn't like metformin or spironolactone but they are the standard and many women have good outcomes. For supplements I've been using Ovasitol, vitamin D3, daily multivitamin, and magnesium, and might try progesterone cream if my cycle disappears again. No kids yet but hoping within the year. PCOS is a challenge, but one we can overcome!
  • Cathcat07
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 13 with a softball size cyst. And was on birth control for most of my life.I got very very lucky to have my girls.its hard to find a good balance between everything we put into our bodies and also with exercise. I noticed when I pushed myself too hard my cycles and hormones would go bat sh** crazy without birth control. Just remember that the "average" for women can take up to 6-8 months to get pregnant. So for those of us who dont cycle every month it can be a battle. On a side note..lol....we tired with something called pressed. It keeps the "specimen" alive longer and gives more of chance to implant. And Amen!!!! Yesss!!!! We will overcome!!!!!
  • SarahM8214
    SarahM8214 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I was diagnosed by my RE last year because we had been trying to get pregnant for 2 years (at the time) unsuccessfully. I was very resistant to changing my diet because I ate pretty well already, and exercised when I could; however, after being on IVF medication from September - June, I have gained 30lbs that will NOT come off. I started Keto this week and the scale was 3lbs lighter today than on Monday - so I guess I'm doing something right.
  • beingcheyenne
    beingcheyenne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, and I was diagnosed at 12. Same with the periods: either I’ll have them for a month or I’ll go months without them. Since I’m only 16, I have no idea about the infertility side, but I do struggle with the other symptoms: more hair and crazy weight fluctuations. I’ve always been told “just diet and exercise and the weight will fall off.” But that’s just not the case. I’ve been working really hard, and I’ve lost 13 lbs these past two (ish) months. :)
  • Ashon1983
    Ashon1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In 2014 I was diagnosed with PCOS. After years of trying to lose weight, and getting frustrated I got help. I am working with an endocrinologist who specializes in PCOS. So here, I am hoping to lose the weight this time and keep it off.
  • Cathcat07
    Options
    Its honesty amazing how many of us there are out there and its hardly talked about. And when it is...other people get this idea it's only cysts. We have to work 10 times harder. We have to be aware almost all the times. We also know our bodies better than anyone else too. So do what's best for you. And if someone or dr is knowledgeable, listening and willing to help. I say take it. Push it as far as you can bc when you do.. finding it will change your life. Lol. We got this ladies!!!!!❤❤❤❤❤❤💘❤💘💘💘
  • motherofthesun
    motherofthesun Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This is so motivating to hear ladies! I’m 22, and have struggled with my weight my entire life. I’ve never lost weight, only steadily gained to a point where now it’s going to start negatively effecting my health. I also struggle with depression (especially now after graduating college, it’s a crappy transition let me tell you) and I say I’m an emotional eater but there’s a chance I should be diagnosed with an eating disorder (possibly BED). I’m so unmotivated but reading these messages makes me realize I’m not the only one. If anyone sees this and can relate, let me know! Maybe we can all create a group chat somewhere and have a support group for battling our PCOS :)
  • sknelson926
    sknelson926 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @motherofthesun I can definitely relate to the college transition being tough. It was super tough for me also. I also have PCOS, and I struggle with depression. I've learned how to handle it on my own a little bit, as I am a mental health therapist (but its still a struggle). Glad to know that there are women in here that I can relate to. :smile: