Missing hiker

Tomorrow I'm getting up at the crack of dawn and joining 100 other people to walk around in circles through thick slide alder, in the hope of finding someone who was last seen a week and a half ago. It's been very warm and there's plenty of water in the area, so a good outcome is still possible.

When you hike alone, leave a note with a responsible person, telling them where you'll be. Set a check in time, this is when they'll call for help if they haven't heard from you. There's no point in "start worrying at 6 pm," that doesn't mean anything. "I'm in trouble if you haven't heard from me by 9." Bonus points if they know what color your jacket and pack are, and can describe your car.

If you get lost and can't find your way, stay put and wait.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    So great you can help out. Where did this happen?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I've been following the story on the missing hiker. Bless you for helping.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

Vesper Peak, on the Mountain Loop between Granite Falls and Darrington. She was last seen having lunch on the summit. A lot of the area below is dense vegetation and searches from the air can't see everything.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Solid advice.

Numquam deficio

Prayers up - Good hunt brother.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Very best of luck - I hope you guys find her, and she's in good health.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    All the best. I hope she is found and doing well. Please update.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    You are a wonderful person.

When I get back into running, I'll make sure I text my boyfriend a picture before I leave if I'm going out alone - I never thought about doing that!

~Lyssa
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Good for you, using your skills and fitness for a very good cause. I hadn't heard about this. Let's hope she is found safe and relatively sound.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Damn reminds me of the movie 127 hours. Hope you find this person. Every life is precious!
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    edited August 2018

Vesper Peak, on the Mountain Loop between Granite Falls and Darrington. She was last seen having lunch on the summit. A lot of the area below is dense vegetation and searches from the air can't see everything.

So somewhere in the USA?

Good luck with the search. Has the missing person got much outdoors experience?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member

So somewhere in the USA?

Good luck with the search. Has the missing person got much outdoors experience?

Western Washington state, NE of Seattle
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Prayers for her safe recovery.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I hope you find her
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Yikes has she been found?
    Always my biggest fear not that I hike in mountains but man this sort of thing is scary
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    :frowning:
  • AliNouveau
    I guess no updates?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    @AliNouveau

She still hasn't been found in spite of an extensive search. It rained heavily in the area on Saturday and has been cold since. :disappointed:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I'm sorry the news hasn't been better :frowning: I'm sure those of you who volunteered to help search are much appreciated by her loved ones.
  • AliNouveau
    @AliNouveau

She still hasn't been found in spite of an extensive search. It rained heavily in the area on Saturday and has been cold since. :disappointed:

Oh no. At least it's summer and not below freezing temperatures. Maybe she's found a place to take refuge. Let's hope at least