Looking for a good coffee!!!

Options
k4200
k4200 Posts: 15 Member
I love coffee Flavor. But I don’t like the butter taste of dark roasted coffee, however I do like the punch. I am a straight up black coffee guy. Any recommendations?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I buy my coffee from a local roaster. Have you tried searching near you for any Farmers or Artisan Markets?
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I buy my coffee from a local roaster. Have you tried searching near you for any Farmers or Artisan Markets?

I agree, that's were I find the best non bitter coffee as well.
    My grocery store also sell whole bean coffee with an instore grinder. I bought a small amount of every dark and medium roasted and tried them all until I found one that was good for me. That's my everyday blend now and I buy coffee bean from small coffee house for my weekend coffee.

Also, I have now converted to french press coffee, which seriously makes such a difference, I would 100% advise to convert.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Add salt. :)
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a local roaster coffee.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    k4200 wrote: »
    I love coffee Flavor. But I don’t like the butter taste of dark roasted coffee, however I do like the punch. I am a straight up black coffee guy. Any recommendations?

Get a latte from the Mazama store, in Mazama Washington. You'll know you're in the right place because it's the only store in town. Right next to the stop sign.

But wait a few months because the whole place is on fire now and the air is dark like my phone.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This. And get a medium roast if you don't like the flavor of dark.
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Kicking Horse coffee. i don't drinking my coffee black but I am enjoying their Three Sisters blend.
  • k4200
    Options
    I definitely want to look into the French press could you tell me more about it
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Have you tried black cold brew? All the punch of full caffeine black coffee but much less bitter.
  • k4200
    Options
    I actually talked with a cousin about cold brew. I need to try it out.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Black Rifle Coffee Company. I’ve tried CAF and Beyond Black so far. Both are really smooth.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    How do you brew your coffee? How often do you clean (with vinegar or a special product for cleaning coffee pots, etc.) the equipment you use to brew your coffee?

Do you buy whole beans, in small amounts (so you go through it pretty quickly), that you grind right before you brew?

For the most part, fresh beans, freshly ground, and really clean equipment, make more of a difference than which coffee you buy. And to the extent that the coffee matters, it's going to depend on individual tastes.

I like Starbuck's espresso roast, Black Cat Diablo, and several varieties from a local roaster. But I like dark roasts.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    How do you brew your coffee? How often do you clean (with vinegar or a special product for cleaning coffee pots, etc.) the equipment you use to brew your coffee?

Do you buy whole beans, in small amounts (so you go through it pretty quickly), that you grind right before you brew?

For the most part, fresh beans, freshly ground, and really clean equipment, make more of a difference than which coffee you buy. And to the extent that the coffee matters, it's going to depend on individual tastes.

I like Starbuck's espresso roast, Black Cat Diablo, and several varieties from a local roaster. But I like dark roasts.

For clarification, I have been an amatuer coffee roaster for about 10 years. I have moved to Oaxaca mexico and there are multiple great roasters within a few block of my home. So I have taken to buying beans as my roaster died and it is harder to get green beans here.

I buy 1 lb at a time of freshly roasted, Organic, Fair Trade beans that were grown on small plantations here in Oaxaca. This is both for quality and philosophical reasons. Traditionally, coffee farmers have been economically exploited.

Bean freshness and clean equipment matters. Beans are at their peak at about 48 hours after roasting. They then go downhill very, very gradually depending on how airtight they are stored.

I clean my pot about once per month. My grinder less often. Possibly it would make a small difference if I cleaned them more often.

The coffee I buy locally is nothing short of amazing. And at prices that are hard to believe!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

For clarification, I have been an amatuer coffee roaster for about 10 years. I have moved to Oaxaca mexico and there are multiple great roasters within a few block of my home. So I have taken to buying beans as my roaster died and it is harder to get green beans here.

I buy 1 lb at a time of freshly roasted, Organic, Fair Trade beans that were grown on small plantations here in Oaxaca. This is both for quality and philosophical reasons. Traditionally, coffee farmers have been economically exploited.

Bean freshness and clean equipment matters. Beans are at their peak at about 48 hours after roasting. They then go downhill very, very gradually depending on how airtight they are stored.

I clean my pot about once per month. My grinder less often. Possibly it would make a small difference if I cleaned them more often.

The coffee I buy locally is nothing short of amazing. And at prices that are hard to believe!

I'm sorry I didn't bother quoting the OP in my post. I thought it was generally understood that questions in a post without quoting some third-party poster are directed to the OP.

@k4200:

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Have you tried black cold brew? All the punch of full caffeine black coffee but much less bitter.

I love cold brew. It is so easy to make - and it is very smooth. I use dark roast coffee and let it "brew" in the fridge for 24 hours. You can make a large batch and store it for about a week in a sealed container in the fridge. I rarely drink it cold - I just microwave a cup of coffee and it tastes fantastic!
  • DeniseMayree
    DeniseMayree Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm old fashioned...I'm a Foldgers gal...lol
  • Lynnara
    Lynnara Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    New England coffee on Amazon. Not expensive and does not burn the beans. The blueberry cobbler is to die for!
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Everyone’s taste is different, you won’t know what you like until you taste. My favorite coffee is Cafe Bustelo, with it, I make lattes.