Fiber Foods

Hey, I'm a vegan who is actively trying to lose weight/maybe maintain it (I'm not too sure myself to be honest). I would like to apply more fiber in my current diet, but whenever I seem to search it up, it just doesn't stick in my head and I always forget this.

For me, I'd only like to know a few things and what you guys do to have more fiber in your everyday meals. Like, what foods are actually the best source of fiber and that are easily put into meals and even recipes? What's your best on-the-go fiber food? Is there a way you can subtly add fiber to your food, but not drastically increase your calorie intake?

Thank you guys

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Beans. I'm a vegan who eats beans just about every day and that combined with lots of vegetables has me averaging around 50 grams of fiber a day. Vegetables like greens, peas, squash, broccoli, and carrots will boost the fiber content of meals.

If you're looking for a more subtle boost, try adding a serving of higher fiber fruit as a snack or part of a snack -- pears and blackberries are relatively high fiber, but there is going to be some fiber in just about any fruit.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    You're a vegan, so pretty much all your food comes from plants (barring fungi and whatever yeast is classified as). Almost all plant foods, in their whole form, contain fiber. If you just focus on eating a decent amount of whole foods (a piece of fruit instead of a glass of fruit juice, soy beans -- or whichever beans you prefer -- instead of soy milk and soy ice cream and soy yogurt, whole grains instead of refined grains, etc.), you should be fine.
  • knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    I am also vegan and get close to 50 grams of fiber a day while eating at a deficit and without really trying. I looked at my stats and I’m getting most of that from beans and high fiber cereal. Hope this helps!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Beans and lentils, oats, bread, Fiber One Brownies :smiley: , fruits and veggies.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    I’m not a vegan but I eat soaked(overnight) oats for fiber,I do 1/2cup large flake rolled oats and 1/3 cup cows milk and either 2 tsp.sugar or a TB of maple syrup as a snack, my husband is lactose intolerant so we always keep almond milk in the fridge and I’ve used it sometimes instead of the cows milk and it works really well too.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Ezekiel bread, 4gm of fiber per slice.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Oh yes! Ezekiel cinnamon raisin English muffins are so good! Really filling too!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 600 Member
    Raspberries have lots of fiber. And I love them. How lucky!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    I like my bran cereal. It has very high fibre content and I find it yummy.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm vegan, too, and get about 40 grams of fiber a day-- mostly through vegetables.

In addition to beans and lentils, my go-tos are spinach, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes--which I eat raw and put in just about everything I cook.

For baked goods like brownies and cookies (which I do rarely), sweet potato is a great vegan substitute that adds fiber without much notice.

I also really focus on having a good breakfast, which, typically, is savory oatmeal and/or lentils, or chickpeas seasoned with nutritional yeast and including at least three of the following: onion, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes eggplant, squash, broccoli, or carrots. That goes a long way towards meeting my fiber goal in one meal, and it tends to stick with me.

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    If you eat a whole foods plant based diet you'll get plenty of fibre -- but you have to stay away from the "vegan junk foods" that will compromise your diet.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I have an awesome high fibre breakfast cereal that tastes yummy and is vegan. That, combined with a wholemeal wrap at lunch and five portions of fruit and veg, gets me over my recommended amount.