College student meal plan

Options
So I am a college student who’s trying to lose 50 pounds. Unfortunately this means I don’t have a fridge to store food during the day or a microwave to heat up my food, like most packed lunches require. I also have the problem of not having money to buy a lot of expensive healthy foods. What sort of breakfasts and lunches do you guys think would be a good idea?

Replies

• sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Low calorie bread, jam and/peanut butter (to cut calories you would want to use little peanut butter). This shouldn’t require a fridge.
    Bananas, apples, tomatoes and carrots can all sit out on a counter.
    Nuts are good, albeit a bit pricey, but remember that a serving size is much smaller than what most people think.

Canned foods are an option too. Chicken soup isn’t too bad unheated. Most canned foods are ready to eat.
    Natural food stores often have bulk items like nuts, this could make it more affordable for you as you can purchase the amount you need.

Granola bars are good and a lot of meal shakes are shelf stable (I love the special k chocolate shakes).

Do you live in a dorm? Or shared apt?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to some kitchen facilities where you live? Not having money to buy a lot of healthy expensive food isn't a real problem. Buy cheap foods and ingredients and make meals that appeal to you. Simple or elaborate, it's up to you. Eggs, porridges, sandwiches, it's all great food.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Beans and legumes keeps well without being refrigerated and are quite filling. They are also cheap pretty much everywhere! Look up chickpea salad (it’s basically a mock chicken salad) and you can have sandwiches for very very cheap.

If you don’t have a microwave, thermos can be a good options for you to eat leftovers.

If you carry your lunch with you and not leave it in the car for example, bring a salad with hard boiled eggs, with either an oil based or vinargar based dressing. In between leaving for school and eating lunch it should be fine.
  • samiodermatt
    samiodermatt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live thirty minutes from the school. There’s no way for me to access a kitchen other than to get hot water.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I live thirty minutes from the school. There’s no way for me to access a kitchen other than to get hot water.

But you have a kitchen where you live?

You could take food in a cooler bag with an icepack to stay cold during the day. Or something warm in a thermos.

You could prepare sandwiches, wraps or salads. Take a selection of things to nibble on if you don't have one set time to eat - vegie sticks, a dip, hardboiled eggs, cheese etc. You could freeze yoghurt with add ins, they will slowly defrost over a few hours and be ready to eat later in the day
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are lunch boxes and ice packs not available where you live?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    When you say "student meal plan" in the title of the thread, do you mean you've already paid to eat in the dining hall, or whatever they call it on your campus?

Such places usually have lots of options -- eggs, bacon, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt for breakfast; salads, soups, deli meat, steamed vegetables, etc., for lunch. College dining halls these also usually have nutritional information available, usually online, or they may be using one of the big companies like Aramark or Sodexo to supply the food, and MFP has lots of those entries already. You don't need to buy a lot of "expensive healthy food," nor does healthy food have to be expensive.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Are you allowed to have a waffle maker? Or a coffee pot? You can make healthy versions of ramen noodles, eggs waffles etc. Also if you have a mini fridge you can get already hard boiled eggs, mini milk cartoons, stuff to make salads, lunch meat, etc.! Also buy small bags of flour, sugar, etc. put your meals in a lunch box with a cool pack and take to class with you. Tuna and crackers is also a tastsy non refrigerator option that has a lot of protein.. I really like the ideas the pioneer woman has in her college episode on food network. Here's the link, check these videos out!
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/the-pioneer-woman/episodes/dorm-room-dining

PS the chocolate mug cake isn't exactly calorie friendly but it is REALLY good!!!!! I made it for my husband the other day who doesn't like sweets and now he's always asking me to make it lol.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Do you have hot / boiling water? You could get those oatmeal cups where you add hot water. They also make it easy to control portions. I like to add a sliced banana to oatmeal as well, or applesauce (individual pots don't need to be refridgerated).
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can get a mini fridge (assuming you’re in a dorm?) Tons of salad and wrap options with access to some precooked chicken and a variety of veggies.

If you can have an electric kettle, you can totally cook eggs in there. Eggs are super cheap healthy protein.