How come?

Options
Why is it that if I take something from the grocery store with a bar code, scan it with MFP, the numbers I get are different than what’s printed on the package to begin with?
Anybody got a clue?
Thanks.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Because the bar codes only pull up user-entered data which can be erroneous, vary by region, or simply outdated. Some bar codes have been recycled to new products so you may scan chips and get green beans.
  • LosinIt54
    LosinIt54 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So the results of the scan are pretty much worthless? What’s with the green check marks by some foods, anyway.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The green checkmarks stand for foods MFP has verified because they've received so many confirmations on the nutrition information, but they can still be wrong
  • kami3006
    Options
    The bar code scanner is simply a "quick access" tool.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Whether you scan or search, find an entry with a green check mark or not, you have to verify the numbers before using an entry for the first time.

Scanning a bar code is the same as typing the product name into the search box, you just don't have to type.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The green checkmarks stand for foods MFP has verified because they've received so many confirmations on the nutrition information, but they can still be wrong

And you can't even fix them.

At least the other incorrect info can be fixed.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    LosinIt54 wrote: »
    So the results of the scan are pretty much worthless? What’s with the green check marks by some foods, anyway.

You could always just edit the information to match the package (assuming it isn't a verified entry). It takes less than five minutes.
  • LosinIt54
    Options
    So when all is said and done, what information would you use to verify the nutritional information on a store bought product..what’s the bottom line?
  • kami3006
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So when all is said and done, what information would you use to verify the nutritional information on a store bought product..what’s the bottom line?

I go off the label. If it's a whole food, I verify against the usda database.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

For packaged items, the nutrition information on the package. For whole foods (fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.), the USDA's database
  • LosinIt54
    Options
    Many thanks, MFP friends!