Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein Problems: The Vegetarian With Allergies Edition

hikikomorisama
hikikomorisama Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I'm a vegetarian and I'm struggling to meet my daily protein quotient. I used to eat a lot of eggs but was recently diagnosed with an egg white allergy so that's not really an option anymore.

What are some other easy vegetarian sources of protein? Ideally, high-protein snacks, since I tend to graze more than I actually eat, especially in the summer when it's hot.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Tofu is the top choice.

The soft form can be got prepackaged as a pudding.

I cut extra firm in to bite size wedges, marinate in soy sauce and bake them. This would work as a finger food.

I put frozen Edamame in a snack bag and eat them raw as a snack in the afternoon.

Nuts have protein but they are mostly fat.

There is some protein in the pulses; beans and lentils, but you have to eat a lot more to get the same protein values.

Bake chickpeas with a little olive oil and spices.
  • Lately I'm eating a lot of Greek yogurt (plain fage has a lot of protein), milk with protein powder, seitan.
  • hikikomorisama
    hikikomorisama Posts: 2 Member
    Baked tofu bites are a GREAT idea!! I've basically done tofu this way for stir fry and am constantly pecking at the extra pieces. :lol: Might as well just cut out the middleman! I've been thinking about roasted chickpeas, too.

I ADORE Greek yogurt too! I just bought a huge tub of the plain stuff yesterday and have been using it for sweet snacks (but it's also a perfect sour cream substitute on taco nights).

And thanks for the article! All these suggestions are a huge help. :blush:
  • SciGirlNJ
    SciGirlNJ Posts: 2 Member
    I am actually vegan by default BECAUSE of my animal protein allergies. I gradually lost all animal proteins over the course of several years... started with chicken/egg and moved into everything else.

So, my proteins now are mainly soy, nuts, pea proteins, quinoa. There are quite a few companies that provide decent meals and recipe ingredients with these as the sources of protein.

I tend to use them as components in my own recipes at his point rather than just warming up premade meals.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Baked tofu bites are a GREAT idea!! I've basically done tofu this way for stir fry and am constantly pecking at the extra pieces. :lol: Might as well just cut out the middleman! I've been thinking about roasted chickpeas, too.

I ADORE Greek yogurt too! I just bought a huge tub of the plain stuff yesterday and have been using it for sweet snacks (but it's also a perfect sour cream substitute on taco nights).

And thanks for the article! All these suggestions are a huge help. :blush:

I add protein powder to natural yoghurt to add flavour, sweetness and more protein - a WPI would provide nearly all protein, most have very little fat or carbs, but any protein powder would work.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2018
    I normally eat plain nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, PB2, and fiber cereal for breakfast. Sweeten if you wish and thin with water/milk/soy milk to your preferred consistency. This gets me roughly 35 grams of protein for 300 calories.

For lunches this week I made seitan that I have been eating with different sauces. I’m getting another 30 grams or so of protein for about 250 calories of seitan. Here is the basic recipe I use: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/09/hickory-smoked-veggie-turkey-lunchmeat.html?m=1. I change the seasoning, and I also bake the whole thing for about 90 minutes at 325F rather than steaming. I prefer the texture of baked seitan over steamed, and I also think it’s easier.

That all puts me very close to my protein goal. The rest is made up with foods that have small amounts of protein in them, but those small amounts add up.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    greek yogurt and cottage cheese. The low-fat versions have more protein per calorie than most meat and whole eggs.