How much to lose for a flat stomach?

Options
I am almost to my goal of 135 but I still have a fat bulgy stomach. I know that I can't spot lose so the big question is how much more would I have to lose over all to get that flat stomach? Do I have to go down to 125, 115, lower? Trying to see where I need to move the goal posts to.

Replies

• lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    What fb47 said, but also are doing any abdominal exercises?
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Diet likely won’t get you there - lift heavy *kitten* would be my advice - you need a progressive strength plan (wendler, stronglifts etc)

I walk. That is the extent of my exercise since my acl in my left knee is attached only on one end. Weight lifting is just not in the cards for me. That's why I'm thinking I need to move the goalposts on my weight loss to a lower threshold.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, my posture isn't horrid.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A flat stomach is going to be a combination of low body fat, but also developed muscles. Is there a reason you can do upper body lifting moves?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and at 139lbs I have fat on my stomach. At 132lbs my stomach is completely flat (not after a meal obviously).

I was 132 several months ago and the sight was very pleasant. Then I gained 7lbs and now I have a hoop of fat.

I'm pear shaped however and almost all my fat is in my lower half. So losing a few lbs is the difference between fat and flat for me. But when it comes to losing fat from my butt and my legs, that's a different story. I might need to get to underweight if I want them slim. So it is genetics. If you are apple it might not be as easy as for me.
  • 425Recess
    425Recess Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was at a comfortable 125 lbs for years (maintaining on WW) but was unhappy with my belly bulge. Also, I do several exercise classes and struggle with the core workouts. They are just plain hard for me though I still do them. I figured it was a genetic defect. Then by accident (WW change their planned and didn't know what was going on), I lost 10 lbs. Turned out it was too few calories. Anyway, the belly has shrink. It was the only place that I saw any difference. I guess, it was just the last to go. :)
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I went from 253 with a goal of 180. Hit 180 and felt my arms/legs were fine, but my gut/chest were still horrible. I am now 158 and starting to finally see what I want. The last 3 inches loss on my gut have only came with a 4 pound weight loss, I still want to lose another 2 inches. The smaller you get, the bigger difference each pound loss makes.

Time of day also makes a HUGE difference. My gut is much bigger at night than it is in the morning.
    kbs52582 wrote: »
    Abdominal exercises def help, Pinterest has great gut slimming moves that have worked for me.

Targeted fat loss does not exist. Losing your gut is done in the kitchen with basic CICO math. Those exercises might have improved your posture, which can make your gut look smaller in some cases.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    So....basically I'm buggered. Good to know. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I’ve had 3 c-sections and will never have a flat stomach without surgery. However, it got much flatter for me when I hit 120. At 125, I thought it would never look flatter and then it did.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on the person. At 108 pounds, my bones were sticking out in my back etc (was too thin) I still had a poochy tummy lol. I think for some the flat stomach just may not be in the cards
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Diet likely won’t get you there - lift heavy *kitten* would be my advice - you need a progressive strength plan (wendler, stronglifts etc)

I walk. That is the extent of my exercise since my acl in my left knee is attached only on one end. Weight lifting is just not in the cards for me. That's why I'm thinking I need to move the goalposts on my weight loss to a lower threshold.

I'm physically disabled - I have to do all my weight lifting seated. I am able to do a ton of core exercises that does help. Is there a reason you couldn't do this?

Edit: I don't know why my response is within the quoted text.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I've never heard of your condition before, and Google is telling me nothing, dang it. You say you're limited to walking, so I'm assuming you can use your legs. You're not buggered, you just can't lift. I can't lift, either (knee injury), but that's not stopping me from doing what I can. I used to do Callanetics (Eighties bodyweight exercise video), but I eventually grew bored of it. Then, I fell off the dieting wagon and got fat.

Thirty pounds later, I decided to lose again. I tried going back to Callanetics, but it just didn't do it for me, so I made a change several weeks ago. I'm doing several sets of planks throughout the day, deep bodyweight squats (because I can't do several in a row, but I *can* hold a Third World Squat for a minute several times throughout the day), and I walk between 1.5 to 3 miles a night. I'm still about 7-8 lbs. from goal, and my stomach is still quite jiggly, but I've noticed my body is tightening up a bit already. I doubt it'll ever be flat again, but I am determined to get as fit as I can. That's all any of us can do, anyway.